Confusing regs, area 19

scott craven

I had a creel census guy take scale samples yesterday and asked him how the other boats were doing.
He had just checked someone with 2 springs, one of which was under size.
He went on to explain the regs for area 19 state min size is 62cm.
Now you would think he should know, however i'm pretty sure it's 45cm between Cadboro point and Sheringham.
So , looking at the latest slot size update, there is no min size shown ?

Effective June 15 to July 19, 2013: Effective 00:01 hours June 15, 2013 until 23:59 hours July 19, 2013 in Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Point to Sheringham Point), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked less than 85 cm or hatchery marked greater than 85 cm in length.

Min size
62 cm Subareas 19-5 to 19-12 (North of Cadboro Pt):
45 cm Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 (South of Cadboro Pt): See below for in-season openings and limits

min size for hatch coho 30 cm

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just stupid. I was just looking at a map DFO has put out for area 19 there are about 12 different colors for all the different slot times. It even says up to June 15 in Sidney 2 per day 1 over 67cm June 15-July 19 2 per day between 62 and 85cm... So you can't keep big ones in Sidney now but you could keep one before June 15th? Hmmm...

It also says area 19 coho 2 hatch per day after oct 1st 2 fish per day 1 can be wild. Didn't we used to get 4 per day 1 wild? Coho numbers are increasing area 19 opportunity is decreasing.

But don't worry it was clear area 19 minimum size is 45cm... Or 62cm depending which area of the area your in!

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/18-19-20-29-co-ch.pdf

P.S this year is supposed to be a good sockeye run and I've heard reports of some nice fish coming in already. We will probably get an opening of 2 per day... it's just too bad it won't open until the 1st week of august when a good chunk of the fish are past us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time we had a good sockeye run and they finished running through sooke i chased them over to Pender Island bluffs for an extra couple weeks of decent fishing as they made their way over to the mainland. Here's hoping for a good year and opening on the socks and coho.

Back