Comox Valley Reports 2013

Tried going to maple for a little trout fishing off shore the other day. Mainlanders would laugh at me, but I got there and was surprised to see about an inch of ice covering the whole lake. Threw some rocks to make a couple holes to sink my worm through and wasnt expecting too much.... And I didnt catch too much either ! LOL Oh well the ice water kept the beer cold and all in all it was a nice outing.

Oh right this is posted on the saltwater forum :p In that case I went out to the local prawn hole for the first time and did alright considering we completely missed the hole on our first set. We were skunked on the first and got about 75 out of 4 traps on our second and final set and were happy. Other guys out were also doing pretty well. That was Sunday. Damn they were tastey!

Im curious if any one on here has any reports from down Hornby way or Tribune? Reports I get CR is starting to slow down and Kitty is definately not happening. Unless you like killing shakers and immature blue backs. So whats the scoop out there off Hornby?

Hey Duffer: These are the kind of inquiries that I was hoping this thread would attract. There is so much more that goes on fishing wise in the Comox Valley then just Kitty Coleman.I see so many boats heading down south of Denman and Hornby to fish salmon, cod, shellfish etc. It would be nice to get some fishing reports from that area.;) eman

Go straight out off the boat ramp about 2 miles there is a hump tops out at about 165 ft' fish the bottom contours around the Hump btween 180-225 on the rigger. That is if your Boat is small enough to launch there. If you cant, launch at Saratoga or Salmon Pt and run down. Or Comox Marina is a little further. Always check wind predictions with Big Wave Dave or Enviroment Canada because its wide open. The ramp at Kitty is also unprotected so it can be a royal pain if it kicks up on you. Winter Spring fishing there right now hasnt been very good for most yet. Fish near the bottom with your lure of choice and enjoy the day!!

Hey Duffer: These are the kind of inquiries that I was hoping this thread would attract. There is so much more that goes on fishing wise in the Comox Valley then just Kitty Coleman.I see so many boats heading down south of Denman and Hornby to fish salmon, cod, shellfish etc. It would be nice to get some fishing reports from that area.;) eman

Big secret-- but read Ralphs column tomorrow morning and all will be revealed! LOL

Thanks for that Brian good job!! South Denman and Horby Im assuming you were fishing outside Tribune Bay??

Yes-- but there were boats fishing in shallower water toward Norris, as well as one boat off the bottom of Flora. I didnt see a lot of action, but I did see two boats with nets in the water. Past years experience tells me that its better not wait-- the roe herring are coming in, and when they get really plentiful, you cant buy a chinook.

Yes-- but there were boats fishing in shallower water toward Norris, as well as one boat off the bottom of Flora. I didnt see a lot of action, but I did see two boats with nets in the water. Past years experience tells me that its better not wait-- the roe herring are coming in, and when they get really plentiful, you cant buy a chinook.

Well Brian its better than Kitty is last few weeks.

Think I will put the boat in tomorrow,as long as the wind stays down and the rain is not a monsoon.. Not sure if I will go south or try kitty or shelter? I have open seat if anyone would like to jump in give me a pm .

Yeah we're hopin to head out Sunday too....winds permitting.
Will keep you posted....if there's something to report. Otherwise I'll have to buy some fish.....yuk.

Quick report.. ran down late to Tribune--- damn near lost my hat when I stepped out of the canopy.. Blowing SE 15+ 2 ft chop and swell. With the boat acting like a sail, the downrigger lines tried to hide under the boat. Messed around for a while and gave up and ran to Lambert channel. We hadnt been there long when it appeared that the wind around the corner had dropped right off. Picked the gear up and headed for Tribune. Four boats in the area. BUT while the wind had dropped to 10-15 SE the tide was [pushing us inshore. Said "Screw It" and ran back into Lambert and picked up enough sole for a couple of meals. Went home... Next week we are gonna slay em!! LOL

Hey Cuba nothing wrong with a good feed of sole to come home with! A bit of an off topic question but how do you usually cook the tasty buggers up?

Also anybody have any good, local clam beach they know of? I've been given a great chowder recipe and was wonder where a good place to dig them would be. The one spot we occasionally go to has just been ruined for me by someone pointing out its questionable cleanliness... :confused:

A bit of an off topic question but how do you usually cook the tasty buggers up?

My wife wraps the sole around some precooked asparagus and cream cheese. Hold it together with a tooth pick and bake it in the oven. Awesome.

Back