Comox valley echo re: Halibut allocation

fishingbc

Anglers outraged by halibut decision
Tamara CunninghamComox Valley Echo
Friday, February 18, 2011

Outraged anglers are lashing out at Ottawa over its refusal to change the allocation formula in B.C.'s halibut fishery.
Federal fisheries minister Gail Shea announced Tuesday the commercial fishery will maintain 88 per cent of the catch and the recreational sector 12 per cent under a formula in place since 2003.
Individual saltwater angers can raise the limit, however, by leasing quota from the commercial fishery at market value.
"There is no solution here for the recreational sector and asking individual fishermen to pay for quota is outright wrong," said Rob Alcock, president of the Sport Fishing Institute of BC.
"I'm not even sure they could afford to pay for it."
Sport fishermen have never liked the allocation - and stepped up efforts this winter to fight for a larger share of the catch.
They argued in a series of meetings across Vancouver Island that the growing sector is reaching its limit sooner, causing unpredictable season closings. Lodges and charters are having troubles booking advance trips and tackle shops don't know how many orders to make. Maintaining the formula could cause economic havoc, recreational members said last December.
The commercial sector battled back concerned their livelihood could be put in jeopardy so another industry could grow.
Shea was 'disappointed' the two sectors couldn't reach an agreement and set an experimental fishery for the 2011 season until long-term solutions can be found.
Randy Kamp, Shea's parliamentary secretary, will work with fisheries staff to draw up options for the 2012 season.
The commercial fishery supports the interim decision, which also allows individual anglers to catch one halibut per day and have two in possession.
It forces everyone to bear the cost of conservation, said Chris Sporer with the Pacific Management Halibut Association.
"We are in a period of low abundance (for halibut). It means difficulty for everyone, let's not kid ourselves, but this is about thinking of the long term and protecting the fish,' he said.
The recreational industry is furious and predicting huge implications this season for marinas, restaurants and small charter businesses. The season is already starting a month late on March 1, putting lodges and guides behind in their bookings. If that isn't painful enough, long-time clients are deciding not to come back, said Gil DiCesare, owner of G&M Charters in Courtenay.
His bookings are down 50 per cent and he estimates his loss is close to $30,000 already. That would be a hard hit for any business, he said.
DiCesare charges $1000 a day to take people out on weekend trips. Tourists don't seem to be interested, however, in paying the fee this season when the limit is two halibut. There is also still no word on when the season could close, so he doesn't know how far in advance to book his clients.
He is not the only charter with troubles, he said.
"Clients aren't coming. Period. I think we're going to see a lot of empty marinas and small operators just disappear - a $650 million industry is in trouble."
The Courtenay businessman refuses to buy quota from the commercial sector on principal and believes others will follow suit. Paying for fish is the line in the sand, he said.
Bryan Allen, director of sport fishing for the Courtenay Fish and Game Club agrees. Member forums are all abuzz over the latest change and no one is happy - especially about paying for a public resource, he said.
From the beginning, anglers have said they don't want to privatize fish by buying quota off the commercial fishery, but that's exactly what the government is suggesting they do. This is extremely short sighted and unfair, Allen said.
"I'd be very surprised if people walk away with this with their tails between their legs. We are angry and we feel dismissed and we're going to continue to raise hell every chance we get."
tcunningham@comoxvalleyecho.com

© Comox Valley Echo 2011​

Good job Gil... I would never lower myself to buy quota for public owned owned fish either, can u imagine what would be next if we buy into this ****. Sports fishing would be a thing of the past.

If we all fall into the "Buy In Trap" we'll end up like the East Coast - Total Mess and Guess where Shea is from? Move the mess West and leave nothing in the path. Time to replace Pie Face.

Stosh

Minister Shea is a nutbar..plain and simple. Lets get the terminology right here first about acquiring quota from commercial's. If you wanted extra fishing (as a sport commercial) after the rec quota is caught you would lease halibut, not buy it. So in her grand plan I would operate my charters during the recreational open season for halibut and take fish from the 12%. During the rec opening I'm a recreational fisherman. If I get my free "sport commercial" license I can then lease quota (if a commercial will lease it to me) after the rec quota is caught and I instantly loose my recreational fisherman title for a "sport commercial" fisherman. Talk about double dipping.
I can then charge any customer who is stupid enough to book (after the rec season is done) my regular fees plus about $6.00 a pound for any halibut they catch. That could exceed the value of the charter fees. So in other words no customer is going to go for that and the whole scheme is a bad joke.
During the whole process I would own nothing and every year I would have to further enrich the pockets of the original 435 quota holders. I've lost all respect for DFO and strongly feel DFO has to go. Sounds like a chant to me. DFO has got to go!!!!! Dismantle the whole ministry and start over.

DFO has to go through a name change to Department of Commercial Fisheries and Oceans as they have done NOTHING for the sportsfisheries of this nation.

Since DFO is a not about making money, only spending it, and since looking after the slipper skippers and commercial fisherman is much easier, then looking after Sports Fisherman (too many of us), why do we all think they give a hoot about us? We take up too much of their time. I'd bet money that more than one MP back east would be happy if we all went away. Well, as far as I'm concerned, we'd all be happier it they went away. DFO has got to go! Each province should run it's own fishery - very simple solution. Take the pressure off the Feds - they should be relieved.

Back