Comox Harbour

Striper Sniper

Has anyone heard whether the Comox Harbour will be open on Sept 1st?

SS

It's open right now for springs
Sept 1 for coho
Mind you the coho are in bad shape as the hatchery lost 99% of the fry due to high temps in the river.
I will be letting them (coho) go if I get one.
GLG

No fish here----- nothing to see.... move along now!!!!! LOL!!!

All I can really say is that the Qualicums are a better bet than Comox harbour.. It really hit and miss from one year to the other.

That bad hey?. I heard a good report about little Q over the weekend.
Just asking about the harbor as it's very close to me. No need to post sensitive info though public if the fishery is in need of recovering but if you do have some info of use, send me a pm, and I'll release anything caught after a photo. :)

Its confusing as you can fish just outside of the boundary at the P54 buoy. But the inside does not open until Sept 1

Subarea 14-11: Baynes Sound, inside of a line commencing at Cape Lazo light, thence to the P-54 Bell Buoy on Comox Bar, then to Longbeak Point at the extreme north end of Denman Island, then to the mouth of Hart (Washer) Creek on Vancouver Island: there is a non-retention of Chinook from May 1 to August 31.

Confusing yes, GLG you say the Comox Harbour is open for springs now, and looking at the green highlight area on the area 14 map here, the green in the legend does state "Chinook non-retention May 1 - Aug 20", so you'd be correct.

If you scroll down further on the page, the text explanation for the outlined areas on the map state non-retention until Aug 31, so there is a problem on the website. Cuba you are saying it's closed in comox harbour (14-11) as I believe it is.

I don't have time to call DFO right now, maybe someone could........or maybe we should just fish there and show them the map, but there are no fish there so what would be the point...........

Ok, just called DFO, they said it is a mistake, area 14-11 is supposed to be closed for chinook until Aug 31 as was usually the case. She also stated, shhhh, that if someone was fishing in that area, and was questioned by DFO, just say you saw it on the "Chinook and Coho Opportunities map" as the 14-11 Green area which is May 1 - Aug 20 non-retention.

Confusion is over on thursday anways.

The reason that it is open is the summer run Chinook are in the river.
Confirmed by Puntledge hatchery.
We are targeting the fall run Chinook.
I have checked with local DFO and they confirmed it open.
It's a new rule they are trying again this year.
As last year was found to be no problem with the early opening.

The fish cop was to be notified that anyone fishing there was OK.
It's a mute point as the fish have not showed up or they have lock jaw.
Gave it a try this morning and only found shakers.

As CL suggested better luck at the little Q

GLG

Just got back from Parker Marine. You should see the schools off fish going up the Puntledge River being distroyed by seals. Got invited to view this from the office window. I didn't want to leave.

Crazy huh, GLG, when I called comox DFO today they said it wasn't so ?

Hows that for communication Holmes........

The worst part is that anyone can read this thread and find out how truly oblivious and unprofessional they really are to start with. Holy.
Do they even really know anything other than how to try and please the Govt, The commies, and lastly how to deal with us "whiny" pita sportsmen?

Nope....Had a day off...... and I am still sitting here. LorneParker was the only guy offering me a day of fishing.

Thanks, LorneParker

I'd offer Owen but won't get out till Sundayish. When's your rig get fixed? Any word?. I'd go Sat but it's the wife's birthday and I don't really want to die.

Its a great place to fish in are own backyard, think i give Point Holmes are try in the am.

Ok I was right. I knew there was a Comox report thread already.

Just in case you have not seen this thread....Here it is...LOL Just bringing this up due to another thread on the same topic today.

Lets go kill them....Only if you feel the need....

Last edited by a moderator:
So fished the harbour today, one sock just outside, buddies hooked 2 undersize springs inside. Another guy got a coho by 54. Slow day but lots of sun......and wind that chased us home.

Back