Comox for me and the kids?

A

Amateur Angler

Hello all, newbie here for angling and Comox Valley. Wondering if someone could tell me a good spot to let the kids catch bullheads and me catch salmon? I know the harbour doesn't open for Chinook until the 31st but is it worth going out to Cape Lazo or King coho for the kids? Just don't want to get the kids physced on fishing only to have to go back to the harbour. Any suggestions on where to go would be much appreciated. Also what have guys been using from the shore to catch the springs and coho?

Thanks in advance.

Hey AA, welcome to the board. I have been watching Cape Lazo now for about a month and have yet to see one person fishing or one fish jump for that matter. It sure isn't like it was last year where everyone was catching coho galore......:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey AA, welcome to the board. I have been watching Cape Lazo now for about a month and have yet to see one person fishing or one fish jump for that matter. It sure isn't like it was last year where everyone was catching coho galore......:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Welcome AA... It would help to know how old the kids are. Can they cast, or do you have to assist them?. If they can cast-- the King Coho at the end of Singing Sands road in Comox might be you best bet.While things have been dead as pointed out by SS, a chunk of bacon left to sit on the bottom will get the kids into bullheads and flounder.

as far as what to use for salmon... buzzbombs and Zzingers in the smaller sizes are pretty much what everyone uses. I would suggest going into either Tyee or GoneFishin for advice on which specific one to use. it can change from year to year.

Also-- the feather chuckers can do REALLY well fishing in shallow water in the small bay just to the south of Singing Sands. It primarily sight fishing, so young kids might get bored waiting for Dad to do something

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Welcome AA... It would help to know how old the kids are. Can they cast, or do you have to assist them?. If they can cast-- the King Coho at the end of Singing Sands road in Comox might be you best bet.While things have been dead as pointed out by SS, a chunk of bacon left to sit on the bottom will get the kids into bullheads and flounder.

as far as what to use for salmon... buzzbombs and Zzingers in the smaller sizes are pretty much what everyone uses. I would suggest going into either Tyee or GoneFishin for advice on which specific one to use. it can change from year to year.

Also-- the feather chuckers can do REALLY well fishing in shallow water in the small bay just to the south of Singing Sands. It primarily sight fishing, so young kids might get bored waiting for Dad to do something

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

AA welcome to the forum. I’m not sure I read your post correctly but I think you asked 2 questions, shore fishing and fishing from a boat. I’ll comment on fishing from a boat.
Comox Valley fishing should heat up in the first 2 weeks of September. That’s when the Puntledge River Springs return. You will be able to keep 2 fish per day and will see boats fishing from the Cape Lazo light to Tree Island. The boats do circuits so don’t cross in front of people. Some people will hookup down at the bottom from 100 to 150 feet others seem to get them at 40 to 60 feet. 3.5 or 4-inch Army Truck Coyote spoons on 5 to 6 foot leaders with your favorite (mine is Purple Haze) flasher should work. Things change from year to year so it’s a good idea to have a radio to hear the reports. You can talk to guys at the ramp and I have found that all are willing to help with depths and gear. If you bring your kids I would suggest fishing with just one rod. It can get a little tense out there when you get a fish on. You might even practice a few times before you bring the kids its C/R in that area currently. I will be out there if you need more tips. GLG

AA welcome to the forum. I’m not sure I read your post correctly but I think you asked 2 questions, shore fishing and fishing from a boat. I’ll comment on fishing from a boat.
Comox Valley fishing should heat up in the first 2 weeks of September. That’s when the Puntledge River Springs return. You will be able to keep 2 fish per day and will see boats fishing from the Cape Lazo light to Tree Island. The boats do circuits so don’t cross in front of people. Some people will hookup down at the bottom from 100 to 150 feet others seem to get them at 40 to 60 feet. 3.5 or 4-inch Army Truck Coyote spoons on 5 to 6 foot leaders with your favorite (mine is Purple Haze) flasher should work. Things change from year to year so it’s a good idea to have a radio to hear the reports. You can talk to guys at the ramp and I have found that all are willing to help with depths and gear. If you bring your kids I would suggest fishing with just one rod. It can get a little tense out there when you get a fish on. You might even practice a few times before you bring the kids its C/R in that area currently. I will be out there if you need more tips. GLG

Thanks for the quick responses guys! My kids are still quite young 8 and 4 but they love coming out with dad. I set them up in the harbour catching bullheads, but I would like to do some casting for some real fish [8D] I'll try out King Coho today and post how it was here later. Good luck to all!
PS I won't be running amok in a boat anytime soon (much to my chagrin) but when I am I'll be sure to post to find out some of the ins and outs of boat fishing!

Thanks for the quick responses guys! My kids are still quite young 8 and 4 but they love coming out with dad. I set them up in the harbour catching bullheads, but I would like to do some casting for some real fish [8D] I'll try out King Coho today and post how it was here later. Good luck to all!
PS I won't be running amok in a boat anytime soon (much to my chagrin) but when I am I'll be sure to post to find out some of the ins and outs of boat fishing!

Hey guys, checked out King Coho today and it was great! My son (4) caught 2 bullheads and my daughter (8) caught one. I tried out the buzz bomb but only caught 1 bullhead myself. Still a fun day on the water!
I did see quite a bit of bait jumping (herring I think) and also a couple of big fish surface but not sure what kind. There were around 8 people down there at the peak and I didn't see anyone catch anything.
I spoke to another guy down there who said he was up in Port Mcneil yesterday and there were lots of spring biting. So I'm guessing that maybe they are just making there way down here in the next week or so. I'm not really sure but hopefully.

Hey guys, checked out King Coho today and it was great! My son (4) caught 2 bullheads and my daughter (8) caught one. I tried out the buzz bomb but only caught 1 bullhead myself. Still a fun day on the water!
I did see quite a bit of bait jumping (herring I think) and also a couple of big fish surface but not sure what kind. There were around 8 people down there at the peak and I didn't see anyone catch anything.
I spoke to another guy down there who said he was up in Port Mcneil yesterday and there were lots of spring biting. So I'm guessing that maybe they are just making there way down here in the next week or so. I'm not really sure but hopefully.

Welcome AA. You already sound like one of us vets. "Maybe tomorrow" I have been saying that since June. Good luck fishing out there with your young ones.

Back