Comox Area

T

tortuga

Putting the boat in the water for September. The boat launch parking lot seems busy. Anyone found any fish out there? Lazo, Point Holmes,
Red cans?
Thanks Tortuga.

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Hey tortuga: It could be an interesting fishery this year. Coho should go to one wild one hatchery soon, I hope. Now if the springs show up in the bay it could be alot of fun this year.;) eman

Tried last night from 6-8. Nada. Talked to a guy who picked up 2 on the flood at the end of the spit. Fisheries was checking everyone.

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Fished outside Comox Harbour from 10 till 5 today.
I would say the fishing is spotty.
I did manage to pick up a couple of Coho in the 10 to 12 # range.
I saw a couple of springs taken by other boats but most people got zero.
If you want to try fishing the harbour you better get the lead out.
Heard BC Hydro was going to double the Puntledge River water flow on Sept 5.
DFO opened the harbour Sept 1 and BC Hyrdo is closing it on the Sept 5.
4 whole days fishing ….. Nice
They claim it is their twice yearly planned maintenance.
Any salmon that are left in the harbour will surely run up the river.
Bitter, who me, you bet.
GLG

snorkelled the puntledge from hatchery to condensory on the weekend.... thousands (and thoudands...) of pinks, but very few chinook in the system so far. Hopefully we will get a chance, but if river gets cranked, unfortunately they may be food for the seal gauntlet under the bridge. On that note, anybody heard of any goofy anti-seal measures they are going to try this year ? aside from the most effective, the high velocity "lead pill".

It's still early GLG. Whatever's here is gone when the floodgates open but what about the ones that are'nt? :D Gonna give her a whirl tomorrow aft. Keep ya posted.

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Fished Comox this afternoon from 3 till 8PM. Picked up a nice clipped Coho and a large spring. Had my gear at 20 feet in 40 – 60 feet of water. Fish caught on the western producer. The water was perfect. No wind and not too many boats. I would still say the fishing is spotty, not as good as Kitty Coleman. But on the plus side I sure did not have to go 190 feet deep. Sorry no pic’s as I forgot the camera again.

I also found out more details in regards to BC Hydro spilling water. They are shutting down the power station and diverting the water that normally goes through it. Net effect should be no change to the river level where it hits the sea

X2 on the vitamin "L"

Good on you GLG. We ended up pounding Kitty 5 till 8 with C.S. and it was a good call.
3 keeper springs landed, largest was 30 on the button. Good times.
Will give Comox a whirl on the weekend. Keep the reports coming.

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

You guys are KILLING me!!!! I am doing the family thing in Dawson Creek, fer crying out loud!!! If I am lucky... I just might find a walleye [V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Was out today from 10am till 2pm. Picked up a small spring first thing then washed spoons for the rest of the time. Did see the nets out on a couple of boats but I think it was slow for most. Saw some nice size fish on the surface but no takes. Talked to one guy that did well (2springs and a coho) he was using anchovie. Might have to give that a try. Water was in excellent shape considering the wind we had for the last 2 days. Looks like wind for the next few days and then good on Thursday.

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Was out today from 10am till 2pm. Picked up a small spring first thing then washed spoons for the rest of the time. Did see the nets out on a couple of boats but I think it was slow for most. Saw some nice size fish on the surface but no takes. Talked to one guy that did well (2springs and a coho) he was using anchovie. Might have to give that a try. Water was in excellent shape considering the wind we had for the last 2 days. Looks like wind for the next few days and then good on Thursday.

We were out 1-3. There were reports of fish in the AM and PM. Tried shallow for a while then 70' on bottom at the end and the watermelon spoon got hit. Fish on. LL release [:0] on the way up but my son saw and felt a fish anyways. His younger sisters turn tomorrow.
GLG, Let me know when you want to go out. Tortuga's in the water till the end of the month.

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

We had a good morning in the harbour bite was on from 0930-1100 had a blast with my bro from Calgary and High School buddy from Ontario and my son. Not sure how much this guy weighed dont have a scale. Got another one and a nice silver hatch! Good day had by all.
ComoxHarbourSept709028-1-1-1.jpg

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Nice fish. It looks like another one of them really long and skinny ones. I know GLG got a long and skinny the other day and I picked one up at Kitty Coleman last week. The lenght makes the look a bit funny. I really like my fish to suffer from obesity.

Is this normal for Puntledge Fish?

quote:Originally posted by CC Charters

We had a good morning in the harbour bite was on from 0930-1100 had a blast with my bro from Calgary and High School buddy from Ontario and my son. Not sure how much this guy weighed dont have a scale. Got another one and a nice silver hatch! Good day had by all.
ComoxHarbourSept709028-1-1-1.jpg

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg
Nice slab. Were you using bait?

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

I've heard that a great lead pill is a .22 cal CCI subsonic, 29 grains. It makes a sound like snapping your fingers, much less than an air rifle, yet goes through 5" of wood. hmmm. Only works in bolt action .22's because lacks enough powder to chamber another round in a semi.

Fuuny I have only lost 1 fish this year to a seal out of almost 150+ days of fishing. Think I will be sticking to spoons and hootchies till the seals **** me off.

I lost a monster to a seal this morning 2nd one all yr to a seal not as bad as other yrs. But I'll tell ya it sure torcs ya when its a bigggg fish!!! My bro from Calgary wouldnt have liked that fish! Thanks Tortuga no were getting them on plastic.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

It was quiet for us from 9:30-11. Nice morning tho. Was thinking of throwing out the green and glo coyote and guy at the dock lost one on a green and glo.
Bringing choves the next time:D

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Back