Commercial Spoons- The "Theory" behind their use?

You have to fish commercial spoons and gear correctly.

A commercial fishers needs are somewhat different than sportfishers.

I have seen commercial guys get on a sport fishing boat fishing plastics (Hoochies) and only 2 rods when everyone and their dog including all the local guides were fishing Chovies with 4 rods including me and kick the crap out of everyone, limit out and pull rods and disappear when everyone else including me scraped for 2 Chinook.

The moral of the story is to use the right gear and the right place doing everything right consistently.

Painted spoons have been around for a long while...and when a Commercial Troller uses sport spoons ( some of them have and do invest in a box or two for specific fisheries) you know something good is happening....

I have lots of commercial gear and it works...sport gear sells well...and catches a lot of fishermen and fish too. Fish the right gear in the right places! :) ;)
My dad trolled a bit commercially our of Uki when I was younger and one of his friends Gordon Edwards (on the Terry Wayne) was the "master of spoons". He was usually the high day boat out of the harbor and I remember his collection of spoons mainly from Pallisters and that every day the light and water colour had him changing the "mix". Wish I knew a little bit more about when and why he fished what he did.

Well, one thing for sure is making sure you are fishing where you need to be fishing....that in itself can be a TOUGH thing some days.

However, having confidence in what you're using also makes a difference.

I used a 6" and a 7" Superior and a 6" Wonders from Thrasher-Grande in May 2013 and caught mid teens on each of them.

the reality of bigger commi spoons is there was allot of bigger feed in the old days and allot of trollers fished the charlottes and central coast were bigger herring is the feed of choice , superiors, clenden stuarts, dazzlers and my fav mcnights all worked …. so did 7 inch plugs and the fish were green offshore and bit well !!!

Back