Commercial Prawn shut down

Markets: More than 90% of the commercial catch is frozen and exported to Japan. Most of the remainder is sold fresh or live directly in British Columbia.

In British Columbia, 65% of prawns are harvested in the inside waters of Vancouver Island.

http://bcprawns.com/about-spot-prawns/

Yup seems to me the people of Japan have more rights to this resource then Canadians do.....

Hard to know if they do or don't. How much is caught in the other fisheries? Again easy to point the finger at the commercials when those are the only accurate numbers available.

Hard to know if they do or don't. How much is caught in the other fisheries? Again easy to point the finger at the commercials when those are the only accurate numbers available.[/QUOTE
You make it sound like you volunteered! I believe this accountability was forced on your industry after it was clear that commercial over fishing was depleting the resources to the point of extinction.

Definitely did not volunteer, but it was industry designed. after watching the over fishing in Alaska and the effects I am a full beleiver in good accounting. Especially if the combined user groups are expecting to fully utilize the resource.

Can't argue about good accounting even though it is a bit of motherhood statement. What's the practical solution? Obviously it is easier to monitor a small group which accounts for a huge part of the catch. Take halibut for instance ,150 fisherman take 85% of the catch. Thousands, perhaps tens of thousands share the remaining 15%. While it may be practical to demand cameras and riders on the industrial fisher, catching tons of fish, it isn't for the weekend fisher who gets the occasional fish. If you folks and your multi million dollar industry want to put a rider on my boat, feel free, camera, go for it. Just don't ask me to kick in anymore than half my profit :) . In fact I'll throw in all my profit, how about you?

Am i the only one who finds it ironic that the sport season is closed for months, only to open just in time for the, "food" fishery and then the commercial fleet. your average sporty harvesting a few hundred bugs per trip, versus a number of commercial boats carpet bombing an area. HHHmmm which will have the biggest impact on the population????????? and i refer to the commercial boats carpet bombing, 1 month before the real commercial fleet. only you cant buy those prawns from a grocery store. just every street corner in my area.
just saying

Back