Commercial Prawn shut down

pop sea

Quick update, spent the weekend at China creek. I've heard a reliable source that the commie prawn boats have been shut down past the narrows and into Barkley sound, and the owner of two local boats has decided to head over to the east coast of the island and work the ground there. The sporties were only reporting 5-7 prawns per set.

Tough business

Lance D

They finally wiped those grounds clean........moving on to the next

I have heard there are few places on the coast that are showing signs of being over fished. Places that have been producing for years and now have a very small amount of product. I think its funny that these boats will move to a more productive spot and knock the $hit out of it till someone tells them not to or there is no product left.

Also heard it is going to be their shortest season ever this year. Guess time will tell.

I think there is more going on in the sea than we realize. Prawning crashed in a number of locations on the east coast BEFORE the commercial openings.

It would be nice for a people who know more then me to go to the spot prawn festival and discuss the 'sustainability' of this fishery. I heard there will be other 'sustainable' fish there as well which means farmed salmon. I will chat those guys up. Im surprised were not seeing shrimp and prawn farms here yet.

You cannot buy boats, traps and licenses for one segment of the population and then allow them to fish year-round and still expect the fishery to be sustainable. Hopefully the day will come when we have one law for all and not special laws for some. Common sense.

You cannot buy boats, traps and licenses for one segment of the population and then allow them to fish year-round and still expect the fishery to be sustainable. Hopefully the day will come when we have one law for all and not special laws for some. Common sense.
You do know the commercial season is normally only 2 months....

Yep,I see em in Saanich Inlet all year round as well.But hey,it's just for "ceremonial purposes". Whatever!!

Fishery Notice

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Prawn and Shrimp by Trap

Subject: FN0385-COMMERCIAL - Prawn and Shrimp by Trap - South Coast / Fraser River - Areas 11 to 29, 111, 121, 123 to 127 - Closures and Fishery Continues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closes 1900 hours May 24, 2013 in Subarea 23-5.

Fishery continues 1900 hours May 24, 2013 until further notice for all species
of shrimp, including prawns, by trap gear, in the following areas:

1. Area 11.
2. Area 12 except for the Robson Bight - Michael Bigg Ecological Reserve
closure area (Section 3.3.5 of the Commercial Harvest Plan).
3. Areas 13 to 16. (Note Special Management Area in Salmon and Sechelt Inlets:
Subareas 16-5 to 16-8 where reduced trap and string limits apply.)
4. Subareas 17-1 to 17-8, 17-10 to 17-21
5. Area 18 except for the Satellite Channel Ecological Reserve closure area
(Section 3.3.10 of the Commercial Harvest Plan).
6. Area 19. Note advisory for Sponge Reefs in Section 3.3.11 and "Venus"
scientific array outside of Pat Bay at the location described in Section 3.3.12
of the Commercial Harvest Plan. (Note Special Management Area in Saanich Inlet -
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 where reduced trap and string limits apply.)
7. Subareas 20-1 to 20-5. (Note moorage buoy advisory on Constance Bank at
48º18.00 N and 123º 22.50 W in 117 meters depth in Section 3.3.14 of the
Commercial Harvest Plan).
8. Areas 21 and 22.
9. Area 23-1, 23-4, 23-6 to 23-11 except for the Pacific Rim National Park,
Broken Group Islands closure area (Section 3.3.18 of the Commercial Harvest
Plan). Note Neptune Project Advisory in Section 3.3.20 of the Commercial
Harvest Plan. (Note Special Management Area in Alberni Inlet - Subareas 23-1 to
23-3 where reduced trap and string limits apply.)
10. Area 24.
11. Area 25. Note advisory for Sponge Reefs in Section 3.3.21 of the Commercial
Harvest Plan in Tahsis Narrows in the vicinity of Mozino Point in waters less
that 80 meters in depth.
12. Areas 26 to 27.
13. Subareas 28-1 to 28-7, 28-9, 28-11 to 28-14 except for the Porteau Cove,
Whytecliffe Park, and Point Atkinson Reef closure areas (Section 3.3.23 of the
Commercial Harvest Plan). (Note Special Management Areas in Howe Sound and
Indian Arm: Subareas 28-1 to 28-5 and 28-11 to 28-14 where reduced trap and
string limits apply.)
14. Subareas 29-1 to 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10. Note advisory for Sponge Reefs in
Section 3.3.24 of the Commercial Harvest Plan approximately 12 kilometers
offshore of Sturgeon Bank at: 49º09.5'N 123º23.0'W in 160 to 220 meters depth.
15. Areas 111, 121, 123, 124, 125, 126, and 127.

Subareas are described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations.

Variation Order Number 2013-251.

Bingo!!! Best expand that to any and all unmonitored fisheries.

Yes woudn't it be nice if we all had EQUAL access to the fish, based on citizenship and not commercial lobbying.

yes i noticed the rec sector has been a little weak in the lobbying department during the last couple of elections...yeah right...

Mind you, who is lobbying for the Canadians that cant afford a high priced charter or a fancy boat on this coast who may want to enjoy some halibut ? I guess that would be the commercial sector that puts fish in the restaurants and grocery stores for the majority of Canadians east of the rockies.

Also if I am not mistaken did the rec sector not just walk out of the last prawn sector meeting in Nanaimo saying that they are done with negotiating and will pursue lobbying, regardless if the stock is looking like it is falling into the crapper.

yes i noticed the rec sector has been a little weak in the lobbying department during the last couple of elections...yeah right...

Mind you, who is lobbying for the Canadians that cant afford a high priced charter or a fancy boat on this coast who may want to enjoy some halibut ? I guess that would be the commercial sector that puts fish in the restaurants and grocery stores for the majority of Canadians east of the rockies.
How noble of you, I am sure there are no other motives at all. You've tried this argument for a number of years now For"F"all, maybe you should just come out and be honest about you true intentions of personal greed and profit. The rec sector spells it out qute plainly, we want to fish for our recreation. The Commies? well they have to hide behind the noble cause of representing the other 34 million 500 thousand Canadians. Must be a heavy burden being responsible for the welfare of so many people. How are you able to bear such a burden? Oh, yeah that's right I remember now. YOU GET PAID FOR IT.

Also if I am not mistaken did the rec sector not just walk out of the last prawn sector meeting in Nanaimo saying that they are done with negotiating and will pursue lobbying, regardless if the stock is looking like it is falling into the crapper.
Unless you doing this service for free, I'm sure you won't mind us not proclaiming you and your cronies Saints. Maybe all of the non fishing captains should donate all their profit to charity, or their quota to food banks?.

Maybe the lodges and charters who are accessing the resource to make a living should kick in as well.

I'm quite certain the Canadians who can't afford a boat or a charter trip can't afford to buy your commercial caught halibut either. Halibut is for the elite that's it - used to be affordable for regular Canadians but now that those Canadians have to compete with high end restraints in New York for their Canadian halibut prices are simply too high.

The lady who does daycare for us is always so happy when I share some halibut with her. She loves it but can't afford to feed it to her family of 5 despite being a two patent family each with good jobs. It's rediculous that your stating you represent other Canadians when you go out and catch these fish that are priced so high. Your fishing for high society around the world and your own pocketbook that's it. Halibut is hardly a staple in the average Canadians diet.

Oops this thread is about prawning greed? I guess it's all the same.

Wasn't actually meant to derail. I just find it interesting all the fingers that get pointed at the commercial industry when there is a 10 month black market going on from other user groups.

Wasn't actually meant to derail. I just find it interesting all the fingers that get pointed at the commercial industry when there is a 10 month black market going on from other user groups.
Maybe they are just making fish available for those who can't afford a boat or an expensive guided trip or even expensive commercially caught fish. You know unselfish people making fish available to all Canadians. Now where did I hear that before. :)

Maybe they are just making fish available for those who can't afford a boat or an expensive guided trip or even expensive commercially caught fish. You know unselfish people making fish available to all Canadians. Now where did I hear that before. :)

ZING!

Nice one

Back