Commercial Prawn Season

P

PinchMe

Can anyone tell me if the Commercial Prawn Season opens this Monday? Does it run for one week? Do recreational traps need to be pulled to make way for them? What kind of bait to these guys use?

Good Morning
These guys for the most part use prawn pellets soaked in soceye oil. and soak there traps for about 24 hrs. The commercial prawn boys are very good about leaving sport prawn traps alone, not to worry about fishing in the same area that they are.(so I have found)

Falkor

The commercial season usually opens May 1st and goes for 3 months. Last year the prawning was so poor for them that they shut down after about 3 weeks. I usually avoid this time of year as they don't really care where they set their traps. If your line happens to be in the way it can get set over. I've had it happen to me twice now.
Take note that recreational prawning is closed May 1 to 7 in areas 17-5,17-6,17-7 and 17-9 (Stuart Channel to Ladysmith Harbour) Don't know the reasoning behind this short one week closure
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area17_e.htm
See the bottom of the page.

Im working on a prawn boat this season. Just to clear it up, the season does open monday and will probably go for about 60 days, same as last season. As for where you set your sport traps, just try to stay out of the areas with lots of commercial buoys. Keep in mind that a string of traps can be 1800 feet long so try to give lots of room.

Is there anyway to tell where most of the commercial boats will be fishing or in what area

Thanks Falkor

I continue to prawn during commercial season.I just use 1 trap per line.Less chance of getting set on.I try to figure out basically where his lines are then I set outside of them.I pull before he does as well.Never had a problem.

From what I read there is a closure starting Sunday midnight. Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Shellfish

Subject: FN0306-Prawn and Shrimp: by Trap, Ring Net & Spear - Areas 17 and 19 - Closure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recreational Prawn and Shrimp Fishers are advised effective 00:01 hours May 1,
until midnight May 7 the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or
spear while diving, will close in the following:

- Subareas 17-5, 17-6, 17-7, and 17-9 (Stuart Channel and Ladysmith Harbour);
- Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet).

Subareas are described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations.

Variation Order No. 2006-243.

Note:
The South Coast recreational fisher and commercial prawn fisher representatives
have met a number of times in recent years to address the interests of each
group and to explore a means of maintaining and/or increasing prawn stock
abundance in high use areas. This action has been approved by the main Sport
Fish Advisory Board (SFAB) and the Prawn Commercial Caucus as a first step to
try to increase stocks in these areas. The purpose of the recreational closure
in these two areas for the period of 00:01 hrs May 1 to 23:59 hrs May 7, 2006
is to allow the commercial fishery and spawner index sampling to start
throughout the area.

For further information or for detailed area closure descriptions please
contact your local office of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Jim Morrison at (250)
756-7233, Byron Koke at (250) 339-2809, Devona Adams (604) 666-3271, or Russell
Mylchreest (604) 666-3869.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Byron Koke (250) 339-2809

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0306
Sent April 24, 2006 at 1521

Out on Saanich Inlet a few days ago cruisin' up to Cowichan Bay for crab, didn't spot many commercial prawn bouys (maybe 4 seen). Thought this was a commercial opening, how come so few?
May 8th we can throw our recreational prawn traps back down again, will be interested to hear about catch numbers...

we would like to find a seller for spotted prawns when in season. we need about 100 lbs of tail and will head them ourselves . does any one know a boat that will sell to us fresh or where can we start to look for a seller.

we are located in the lower mainland , but if possible we can travel or if possible meet the boat.

Back