Commercial Prawn opening West Vancouver Island

Murry

Anybody know heard/read when the commercial prawning season is opening on the West of Vancouver Island?
Usually is around May 10-15.
Just curious if anybody heard anything for this year.

My guess would be between the 6th and 9th for Barkley Sound, usually the 1st full week of may there

I found it instructive to be out during the commie prawn season last year. It was interesting to see where and how they were setting - and weren't setting. I noted a couple of terrain nooks that seemed to be inaccessible to their long trap lines, and these missed spots proved to be productive for me in July. It also confirmed the best depths to be fishing - easy to follow the line between their buoys and observe depth by sonar. For the mid Sunshine Coast area, 300-350 ft flats appeared to be the preferred zone.

I found it instructive to be out during the commie prawn season last year. It was interesting to see where and how they were setting - and weren't setting. I noted a couple of terrain nooks that seemed to be inaccessible to their long trap lines, and these missed spots proved to be productive for me in July. It also confirmed the best depths to be fishing - easy to follow the line between their buoys and observe depth by sonar. For the mid Sunshine Coast area, 300-350 ft flats appeared to be the preferred zone.
Great post.

Back