Commercial Chinook Fishery Opening

fogged in

Can't find the Thread that discussed this earlier but...
Certainly Fraser River Chinooks are among the Chinook being targeted by the Commercial Troll Fishery as indicated by the DFO announcement below.....at the expense of the Sports Fishery. Whatever happened to the policy announced a year or so ago as follows: 1st Conservation, 2nd Native, 3rd Sport, 4th Commercial
The May 1st opening call for about 4 times the take of the April Opening, so it is fair to assume the Commercial catch will be over over 40,000 Chinook Salmon
this is right off the DFO site....

Troll opens 00:01 hours Tuesday May 01 until further notice in Areas 124 to
The target species is chinook, incidental catch of chum and pink may be
retained. Coho, sockeye and steelhead may not be retained. The minimum size
limit for chinook is 55 cm fork length (head on), and 44 cm (head off).
There was an Area G troll April fishery opening from April 19 until April 24.
The total estimated chinook catch during this opening was 10,600. The total
boat days for the opening was 267.
The fishery management strategy for the Area G troll May fishing period will
include a maximum catch ceiling and monthly boat day limits. Total effort in
the May fishery will be limited to 1000 boat days as a measure to limit impact
on Fraser chinook stocks of concern

So much for conservation!!!!
Can anyone please tell me why we are allowing the Commercial harvest of over 50,000 Chinook in the same migratory route and timing the Fraser River Chinook salmon are taking while we are cutting back the Sports Fishermen in order to protect the same run? It's no wonder Sports Fishermen are frustrated!!!!

Couldn't agree more 'Fogged in". DFO does not even follow their own allocation policy with respect to user group harvests.
This Area G fishery should not exist as long as recreational anglers are under restrictions to protect Fraser chinook.

HOLY GOD!!

I am so close....

As a person that makes a living off both trolling and sportfishing I have to say to the Streak an Fogged In - DO SOME ******* RESEARCH INTO THE ROUTES THESE FISH TAKE!!!

Do you think for one goddamned second that they would let the trollers go if they thought that one of the gold plated Fraser fish were going to be caught!?!

NO!!! And guess who they get all of the info as to what stocks are passing where... THE TROLL FLEET. There are virtually no sport boats fishing the areas open at this time compared to summer.

I will switch over into guiding as soon as I'm finished trolling. Am I concerned about the number of pieces the troll fleet has taken? Not at all.

How many days did you fish in these areas last year in May? How many heads did you return? Where were they from?

Please just answer these questions with some solid data so I truly don't think you are both - well... ya know.

I have an answer from my end, so let's here yours!?!

Hello Osamo
Not surprising you would feel the way you do when you personally take part in the Commercial Troll fishery for these Chinook.
By the DFO's own admission, they know amoung the Chinook you are catching are the Fraser River Chinook.

"May fishery will be limited to 1000 boat days as a measure to limit impact
on Fraser chinook stocks of concern"

You guide out of Banfield all summer and hit the Springs and Halibut hard...I know because I know people who have gone out with you. You are probably a pretty good commercial fisherman as well...good on you, but it is a dying industry
Our problem with the decline in wild Chinook is complex. Not as easy to recognize as the damage done by the Seiners in the past...remember the great run of Chinook in the Namint...remember the fish war with the Americans on Swiftsure Bank that pretty much wiped out the Cowichan run of Coho and Chinook.
I say leave the Chinook totally to FN and Sports Fishermen.
In the end we will all suffer if DFO continue down the road they are going!
How do you feel about more fish farms in your area?

HOLY GOD!!

I am so close....

As a person that makes a living off both trolling and sportfishing I have to say to the Streak an Fogged In - DO SOME ******* RESEARCH INTO THE ROUTES THESE FISH TAKE!!!

Do you think for one goddamned second that they would let the trollers go if they thought that one of the gold plated Fraser fish were going to be caught!?!

NO!!! And guess who they get all of the info as to what stocks are passing where... THE TROLL FLEET. There are virtually no sport boats fishing the areas open at this time compared to summer.

I will switch over into guiding as soon as I'm finished trolling. Am I concerned about the number of pieces the troll fleet has taken? Not at all.

How many days did you fish in these areas last year in May? How many heads did you return? Where were they from?

Please just answer these questions with some solid data so I truly don't think you are both - well... ya know.

I have an answer from my end, so let's here yours!?!

Guy's foggedin is a troll.
He is trying to mess with us and stir up shyte.
Ignore the troll.
GLG

Thanks for the contribution to the subject GLG
Is this how you react to everyone who does not see things exactly as you do.
Do you have anything intelligent of offer?
Guy's foggedin is a troll.
He is trying to mess with us and stir up shyte.
Ignore the troll.
GLG

Back