Commander 30 opinions

Sir Reel

I have a friend looking at buying a Commander 30 for fishing and crushing. I have been on one at the boat show but never fished in one. They seem to have a good reputation. Does anyone have any opinion good or bad on these boats? Are the good to fish from? Seems you need to troll of the diesel main as very few have kickers.
Any feedback is much appreciated!

Dave

That would be my dream boat. Have never been on the water in one, just boat show also. They have a huge deck for fishing with pretty high gunnels. Love that it's like a floating cabin. The diesels would need the trolling valves installed for trolling, a up to 10k add on I believe. If it was me I would most likely install a 15 merc high trust with hydraulic steering station linked with the hydraulic intellisteer wireless remote steering. If money is no issue then maybe go 25 high trust yammie.

I have three buddies that have 30's, my dream boat as well. Huge dance floor. I like the galley in the aft option and the couch behind the helm. It's the closest thing to fishing in your living room. They all troll on main's, not an issue.

I fished on one once out to Swiftsure Bank.I didn't like the ride,pounded pretty badly,because of the wide beam I guess.They are well built boats though and have plenty of cockpit space.The"Living Room" feeling felt very strange.More of a cruiser I think.

Last edited:
very well built and beautifully finished. If I was going to only fish one area and wanted to cruise as well, that would be a dream boat for me. If you are wanting to be a hardcore fisherman and that is the prime objective, there are many other more purpose built boats that would be better suited to fishing.

I'm like hurtlocker and have been lucky enough to spend many multi day trips on one. They are truly amazing. 4 guys no issues lots of room comfortable to cook, lounge, fish and prawn. We have done it all. My buddy just installed intellisteer for fishing should be fun. For the size of boat at 30ft and a 12ft beam with twin diesels very fuel efficient better than most big outboard sport boats. They troll fine no trolling value needed. I think Powell river wins for the most 30ft, I believe under 200 were made and a couple dozen live in PR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

This boat has twin stern drives is a trolling valve even an option on those or is it just on direct drive?

bit of a dream boat for me. 30' with a pod and twin 300's!! . the manufacturer was in port moody and i would go in and check out the builds quite often... very nicely built west coast boat!

bit of a dream boat for me. 30' with a pod and twin 300's!! . the manufacturer was in port moody and i would go in and check out the builds quite often... very nicely built west coast boat!
I would love to see one with outboards . You would have a ton of space under the rear deck without those diesels. Like other guys have said there is like 15 commanders in Powell river and I don't think I've seen one with a kicker. They all troll on the mains I guess . Seems kind of crazy to me .

They are hard to find and really hold their resale value well. Bunch of used ones go through a broker in Vancouver who tends to keep the market artificially high. I made an offer on one a few years back in Blaine that needed a load of work. They've made a few now with single 300Hp diesels rather than the twins. They generally use the Volvo powerplant/leg and maintenance can really add up. Personal preference for diesels now that I've owned both is shafts rather than outdrives. Almost no maintenance with the shaft drives compared to I/O but that's not an option with this boat.

Back