Columbia river Chinook forcast

We need to start counting our fish. 100 percent. Get our escapement, count them, count them going out, expect the expected. Pretty simple.

Simple...... Ok.. lets hear your plan ? Dont forget to factor in predation, Ocean survival, foreign fleets, domestic fleets, (Commercial, Aboriginal, and Recreational), Environmental conditions, Fire, Flood, Drought etc...

Lots goes into predicting Returns.. Its not an exact science and never will be as fish are live animals in an ever changing environment.

CR Greg

It is a simple plan that alaska and other area of the states have been really successful at for a long time now.

Honestly I don't know if theres a better way

Not only that but they are able to base their annual fishing opportunities, daily limits for sport, and commercial quota based on that science. Turns out

It is a simple plan that alaska and other area of the states have been really successful at for a long time now.

Honestly I don't know if theres a better way

Not only that but they are able to base their annual fishing opportunities, daily limits for sport, and commercial quota based on that science. Turns out
I'd be careful to leave AK out of that equation...they are like dealing with Putin...say one thing, do another for no good reason other than suit their own agenda. Canada's approach to the "Chinook crisis" is however leaving a lot of treaty fish swimming happily down the WCVI with not a worry in the world - and they are marked hatch jobs to boot, so easy for us to plan a fishery accordingly...or so it seems to me.

Only point I was making was they count their fish. Has nothing to do with politics between states or between us and Canada. That's a whole other topic all together

We have Ottawa managing the west coast who know absolutely fuckol about anything. At least Alaska has their own commissioner. You don't see Washington DC managing Alaska fishery.

Anyway that's a whole topic meant for another thread. We need to count our fish. I also think seining for salmon on west coast waters should be mutually agreed upon as a not viable source of commercial fishing.

Only point I was making was they count their fish. Has nothing to do with politics between states or between us and Canada. That's a whole other topic all together

We have Ottawa managing the west coast who know absolutely fuckol about anything. At least Alaska has their own commissioner. You don't see Washington DC managing Alaska fishery.

Anyway that's a whole topic meant for another thread. We need to count our fish. I also think seining for salmon on west coast waters should be mutually agreed upon as a not viable source of commercial fishing.
Actually they (AK) have poor catch monitoring programs. Canada has Video Monitoring and log books whereas many AK vessels have nothing more than the honour system aside from landing slips. Discard mortality accounting is a joke. Same for their rec fishery. They have no clue how many fish they are taking until after the season closes. They consistently take more than their assigned TAC. This past year one area was over by 200k pounds with no ramifications. If Canada goes over the overage is deducted from next season TAC. So AK has really no accountability for their catch was my point.

Can't say anything here except that they count their fish and articulate yearly catches by science that they gather. Every year they have a commercial and recreational fishery. It's all based on numbers. Turns out. Just saying. Wait what am I saying? Sorry BC has the answer just look at all the fishing opportunities !

Back