Collapsing Bulb

spring fever

Older motor-running great particularly at lower speeds. Up the throttle motor responds for 4 to 5 minutes then quits. The bulb is collapsed-wait a bit bulb becomes capable of being pumped-Motor starts and runs well for 5 minutes We do it again. Checked the intake at the tank and cleaned for blockage. Long gas line to a new bulb 'short piece of hose to a gas inline filter (new) then short hose to engine. I am assuming this isn't an airleak as the bulb is collapsed hard Am I looking for a collapsed hose perhaps-Should I just buy another 15 ft of gas line or is there something else I could look for

Last edited:
Almost sounds like an air issue. Did you try and loosen the lid on the tank and see what happens.

The engine mounted fuel pump is trying to pull fuel from your remote tank, but is unable to because of a partial or complete blockage. If your remote tank is also collapsing then your tank is not venting. However it sounds like only your primer bulb is collapsing. This could be because the one way check valve on the tank end of the primer bulb is almost totally preventing the flow of fuel or the hose from the bulb to the tank (including the quick connector) is bad. You could just remove the primer bulb and join the two lines, as a temporary measure and as an aid in diagnosing , if it still does it replace the line including the quick connector at the tank.

The engine mounted fuel pump is trying to pull fuel from your remote tank, but is unable to because of a partial or complete blockage. If your remote tank is also collapsing then your tank is not venting. However it sounds like only your primer bulb is collapsing. This could be because the one way check valve on the tank end of the primer bulb is almost totally preventing the flow of fuel or the hose from the bulb to the tank (including the quick connector) is bad. You could just remove the primer bulb and join the two lines, as a temporary measure and as an aid in diagnosing , if it still does it replace the line including the quick connector at the tank.
This makes sense-I'm suspecting the line as the bulb is brand new and only replaced as a precaution-in mexico they just stick a gas line in a ten gallon tank-no bulbs or connecters- seldom ever see a fuel flow problem. Thanks

This makes sense-I'm suspecting the line as the bulb is brand new and only replaced as a precaution-in mexico they just stick a gas line in a ten gallon tank-no bulbs or connecters- seldom ever see a fuel flow problem. Thanks
If the bulb was just replaced, is it possible it was put in backwards? They have an arrow on them to indicate correct installation direction, so the check valve works properly.

Shot in the dark here but is the fuel hose big enough? I had a 140h Johnson that could suck the fuel line flat at WOT but allow it to open back up at lower rpm. Swapped out for a larger size and problem solved.

bend or kink on the inlet side of the bulb, higher vacuum rate causes the line to collapse or starve, then the bulb follows.

Shot in the dark here but is the fuel hose big enough? I had a 140h Johnson that could suck the fuel line flat at WOT but allow it to open back up at lower rpm. Swapped out for a larger size and problem solved.
Good thought-a long hose I will check-thanks

Back