Coho Returns?

Kelly

The doggies have a nice little gravel bed to spawn on 150 yds. below the falls. Not a big run
maybe a 100-200 by the looks of it. Every once in awhile one comes up on high tide and plays with the ho's.

quote:Can't help but wonder how sustainable this will be in the long-term though if the cohos have to be transported above the falls every season? Wouldn't these resources be better directed towards a self-sustaining system like the Koksilah

Can't help but wonder the same thing, what is the long term goal of the project?

I guess in these times any watershed that is producing salmon (especially Coho) would be considered a success. Far too many fish are not surviving in the Ocean. Personally if I could raise fish in my bathtub I would do it.....

To those who wonder, think of it this way. Hatcheries produce millions of fish for us to enjoy,all with captured fish. Our captured fish will get get a chance to spawn in natures
hatchery with a lot less dollars spent on them and human effort too. Just think, that next
coho that you catch on the beach or in the boat, may not have been there if it wasn't for
projects like these. BTW- our fish count keeps going up. Not bad for a little stream that couldn't have a run of its own.

I know it's a steep stream, but I wonder if a little blasting on some of the bigger falls could make it so the little ho's could make it up on their own? THat would be the ultimate in stream re-mediation, sounds like you guys are making the Mill Bay version of Goldstream. Would be nice to see some real producing creeks on ECVI.

Back