Coho Returns?

Tailspin

Just got back from a local ECVI stream from my annual start of my 3 week volenteer deed of moving coho upstream and am shocked to hear how low the numbers are to date, 18 coho return so far in the log book! Smaller than usual as well. Also of some concern is the talk of limited returns on some of the major flows on VI. Many are hoping they are late but only 18 in comparison to over 150 to date this time last year at our ladder pen is spooky. Also a test fishery done off Nitnat, on what was thought to be immature bluebacks tagged out to be malnurished undersize mature Coho. I don't no the actual escapment numbers for the Nitty but it sure sounds bleak.

Malnourished under sized coho ? this don't sound good at all.
What is stripping the feed from the area then one should question.

AL

This year I did ok with the coho. Last year and especially the year before were pathetic.

I think the oceans are not in good shape. Also I think that there is too much wanton waste on the high seas. Also, didn't the provincial government cut funding to the hatcheries?

not very good. all governments are running such huge surpluses. fishing has been a great pastime for me and the other old guys on the beach. what a shame to lose such a wonderful resource.

Drifted the San Juan yesterday and only managed a couple of hoes. The river is dead?? No dead carcasses anywhere to be seen. No bears or eagles, things look grim !! Lots of nice cutties in there, but they are wondering where the fish are..

Thank you Tailspin, both for your efforts, and posting the link.
I had no idea of this activity and applaud all who are and have been involved.

For general info, USHP stands for The Urban Salmon Habitat Program.

The Mill Bay group is only one of several groups involved in this type of project.
This link - http://www.mvihes.bc.ca/other-groups/og-index.htm - will take you to the Mid Island Habitat Enhancement Society page which has links to other central island groups working on similar projects.

Good Link Time, My efforts are minimal in comparrison to some of these dedicated guys and gals! I stumbled across it about 6 years ago, neat setup!

I was not aware FBES had a site now.

I used to do Stream Rehab work in Rosewall And Cook Creek with Jim who used to own ABR automotive in Vic, my dad and 2 others before Jim passed away. Good to see it is still growing strong even without the dedication of Jim.

"In 1995, FBSES became a non-profit Society of 25 members, under the leadership of Jim Ackinclose. Today, we have 50 members that participate in the enhancement and monitoring of twenty watersheds on Baynes Sound".

Small World! I have not seen Judy in years, my parents see her once in a while but not as much as we used to. Still on Ships Point i presume. Spent lots of time in ther boat with my dad and Jim when i was a youngster.

Here are some capture and release Pics from this morning!

IMG_2009.jpg

The girls tailing from the cart to live tank.
IMG_2016.jpg

The release upstream
IMG_2021.jpg

Rigging Crew
IMG_2005.jpg

Never realized that the Shawnigan had this going on. My backyard borders this watershed. Let me know if you ever need more volunteers. Would love to help....I even have waders that barely leak.

Great job you guys! Can't help but wonder how sustainable this will be in the long-term though if the cohos have to be transported above the falls every season? Wouldn't these resources be better directed towards a self-sustaining system like the Koksilah or other that does not have several impassable falls? Seems like a lot of effort for a creek that will never sustain a run without alot of human intervention...
That being said, the effort is very inspiring! :D If only all communities were this committed to their watersheds...

A little rain this morning and a fresh run of ho's showed up at our little stream. They have been shying away from the the trap the past couple days so changed tactics and netted them
at the falls. Big Numbers. It looks like we will surpass last years numbers as we are up on them now. Not bad for a steam that wouldn't have a run if it wasn't for a great group of volunteers. Every little bit helps to get our numbers up. Get out and volunteer at local stream
its addicting.

Back