Coho Management Review Now Under Way

Sorry you aren't sure about my involvement with P.O.S.T. As for fallowed farms, why not ask Marine Harvest?

Well, mister "I have almost 40 years in the business" it seems "YOU" didn't answer some of my questions? So... why don't "YOU" just take that "MOU" of "YOURS" with Marine Harvest, and "YOU" ask Marine Harvest... and then "YOU" tell "US" if any of "YOUR" or "Marine Harvest" Atlantic salmon have disease problems??????

Only one answer there that "I" am looking for here... and that is what diseases are "YOUR" "fish farms" exposing "MY" wild salmon to? With almost 40 years of experience... "YOU" should be able to tell me???

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, mister "I have almost 40 years in the business" it seems "YOU" didn't answer some of my questions? So... why don't "YOU" just take that "MOU" of "YOURS" with Marine Harvest, and "YOU" ask Marine Harvest... and then "YOU" tell "US" if any of "YOUR" or "Marine Harvest" Atlantic salmon have disease problems??????

Only one answer there that "I" am looking for here... and that is what diseases are "YOUR" "fish farms" exposing "MY" wild salmon to? With almost 40 years of experience... "YOU" should be able to tell me???

Charlie, you didn’t answer mine and you embarrass this forum. Lay off the capitols, have a beer or toke, whatever works, and come back civil.

See you then.

Charlie, you didn’t answer mine and you embarrass this forum. Lay off the capitols, have a beer or toke, whatever works, and come back civil.

See you then.

Wow...............true colours shining through.

This entire issue with the farms is really quite simple. Many of us are dumb butt creatures that put a piece of paper with numbers on it over everything else., including destroying the place that allows us exist. Dave...people like yourself and governments at one time said, heroin was the next wonder drug, coke was at one time in Coca Cola, troops were placed close to above ground atomic blasts because they were deemed safe, military personal who got sick after exposure to agent orange were told it wasn't the cause, not enough proof, pregnant women given safe drugs that caused major birth defects. This **** just keeps repeating over and over again. As others have mentioned here..we have more concern for our iconic wild salmon than we do for a foreign company looking to amass more numbered paper.

This entire issue with the farms is really quite simple. Many of us are dumb butt creatures that put a piece of paper with numbers on it over everything else., including destroying the place that allows us exist. Dave...people like yourself and governments at one time said, heroin was the next wonder drug, coke was at one time in Coca Cola, troops were placed close to above ground atomic blasts because they were deemed safe, military personal who got sick after exposure to agent orange were told it wasn't the cause, not enough proof, pregnant women given safe drugs that caused major birth defects. This **** just keeps repeating over and over again. As others have mentioned here..we have more concern for our iconic wild salmon than we do for a foreign company looking to amass more numbered paper.

That cuts through the BS.

You did forget the decades the Tobacco industry spent millions buying politicians and telling us all that there was no proof that cigarettes were anything but good for you. Then there is those wells in Hinkley that contained nothing but pure clean healthy drinking water until they ran into Erin Brockovich. Go Alex.

Fish farms and our governments are cesspools.

The question was:
If you say you are familiar with his work does that include the results of his work.

Whats your take on his results of his study of Cultus sockeye.

And the answer was:
Been out of the game for a while but IMO, this program has amazing potential.

In it’s infancy the tags were too big and heavy; they required much larger, meaning older and more hatchery oriented fish, which was the case for the Cultus sockeye initially tagged by Kintama. That, plus the fish really had not imprinted on any home water source makes, again IMO, any final assumptions or conclusions based on these particular fish open for debate.

Having said that, technologies constantly evolve and this program is no exception. Tags are far smaller and easier on the tagged, stress wise. I believe Welch and savvy collaborators already have programs and funding lined up.
Not much of an answer there was there? And even trying to connect himself with Welch? LOL

Now, the question I had was:

And the answer to that was:

See you then.
Guess that answered my question? They have a disease problem they are hiding - don't you Dave?

I must have hit a nerve, as it seems Dave might be getting a little testy and has to try insults as a last resort already? :)

I will be glad to answer the "proof" concerning fish farms killing off the wild salmon, as most already know that answer to that anyway. It is well known the “fish farming” industry and DFO has concealed, suppressed, twisted, and even FLAT-OUT LIED in all their studies and reports anyway. To verify that all you have to do is read the Cohen testimonies. Shall we look at what Dave's buddy David Welch really has to say and what he thinks about “open net-pen fish farms”? Might even answer Dave's question?

Submission 1127-KRSL_214274
Submitter: Kintama Research Services Ltd

Community: Nanaimo
Date Submitted: December 15, 2011

Summary:
Dr. David Welch submits this research proposal to report an important addition to his understanding of where sockeye smolt mortality occurs. In prior testimony at the commission, he reported that most mortality occurred after passing the northern end of Vancouver Island, but he has since re-analyzed his previously collected data to directly compare survival rates of acoustically tagged sockeye smolts migrating in the Strait of Georgia and then in Discovery Passage/Queen Charlotte Strait and found a level of higher mortality that may explain the 10-fold decline in Fraser sockeye survival seen since 1990. To address these issues, Dr. Welch and his colleagues designed a new study building off the results from the POST prototype array.

Submission:
Salmon smolts migrate quickly after entering the ocean, typically at about 1 body-length per second. For 10 cm wild sockeye smolts, this means that they move about 9 km per day, resulting in the smolts being far removed from a location where disease transfer might occur within only a very few days. This complicates the interpretation and analysis of data from smolts collected for disease studies in the vicinity of fish farms, because the prior exposure history of a collected smolt is unknown. In addition, smolts debilitated from disease simply may disappear before capture because predators target weakened individuals prior to pathological symptoms (such as lesions) being expressed.

To address these issues, my colleagues (Drs. Scott Hinch, Kristi Miller, Brian Riddell, Tony Farrell, Carl Schwartz) and I designed a new study building off the results from the POST prototype array. The draft proposal is submitted for the Commission’s (& public’s) information as part of this commentary. However, the primary reason for this submission is to report an important addition to our understanding of where sockeye smolt mortality occurs. In prior testimony at the Commission I reported that most mortality occurred after passing the northern end of Vancouver Island. This statement remains correct. However, we have since re-analyzed our previously collected data to directly compare survival rates of acoustically tagged sockeye smolts migrating in the Strait of Georgia and then in Discovery Passage/Queen Charlotte Strait.

The results are summarized in Figure 4 on page 8 of the attached submission. In 5 of 6 years of study, survival rates per week of migration were substantially lower in the Discovery Passage region than in the Strait of Georgia. (2011 data are preliminary, as data from some receivers will not be collected until early January 2012).

This is a very important finding that clarifies and extends my earlier testimony:

1) The results continue to contradict the theory that 2007 sockeye smolts died in the Strait of Georgia, before reaching the area with fish farms; in 2007 smolt survival was substantially lower in the northern area.

2) The lower survival rate the northern area (currently estimated at roughly 2/3rds of the Strait of Georgia survival rate when averaged across all years) would have profound effects on marine survival if prolonged; after 5 weeks smolts would be reduced to only ~1/10th the number that would survive in the Strait of Georgia.

3) This level of higher mortality would be sufficient to fully explain the 10-fold decline in Fraser sockeye survival seen since 1990.

4) We caution that this new result remains a correlation, not proof that the fish farms present in the northern area caused the reduced survival, because the two regions probably differ in other ways (more abundant predators are likely present in the northern region, for example).

5) As the technical calculations in the full proposal demonstrate, the survival difference observed between freely migrating smolts in the northern and southern areas would be easily measurable with an appropriately re-designed array.

6) As discussed during my earlier testimony at the Cohen Commission, the “gold standard” for scientific research is a blinded experimental test comparing the survival of smolts exposed to fish farms to that of smolts not exposed (the later act as the control group, and are treated identically except for exposure to fish farms).

7) We estimate that fully implementing all aspects of the attached experimental design, including additional genomic & physiological analyses to assess response to fish farm exposure, would cost $3M~$3.5M per year. We believe that the study would need to be annually repeated for 3-5 years to provide a definitive answer as to whether fish farms elevate mortality sufficiently to justify regulatory action by government.

8) The scientific community (and thus the Cohen Commission) has had substantial difficulty in making reasonable conclusions owing to the lack of relevant data. The approach outlined in the proposal should both (i) resolve the key regulatory question for government of whether fish farm effects are large enough to warrant regulation and (ii) provide critically needed baseline information on when and where marine survival is determined.

9) The final appendix provides a list of letters of support for the approach, from members of the scientific community not having a direct interest in the research program.

David Welch, Ph.D.
Kintama Research Services, Ltd.
Nanaimo, B.C.
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/submissions/ViewASubmission.php?sub=1127

Dave... I highly suggest you stop now, before you lose any and all credibility you might have had, and really end up looking like a – FOOL!! Or, since I have already done the research... would you like and want to discuss and enter in to a debate with me on what diseases YOUR “open net-pens” are really spreading and which ones are killing our wild salmon? If you do... might want to start another thread? The last time someone tried that went well over 200 pages! LOL

Dave your industry has often remarked that the smolts have been dying in the SOG (Straight of Georgia). DFO has backed that with studies from it's netting of these fish on there way to the ocean. For years we have been told "we don't know why they don't survive the in the SOG". I sat one day at a meeting with Dr Beamish and he went over the data showing how the survival of coho smolts has gone from 7 - 5% to .5 to .1%. He was puzzled and he could only suggest that we try to change our way's of doing things. He had no recommendations but he felt strongly that we need to experiment. When asked if the fish farms had an effect he answered that his studies proved they did not. The smolts were gone (dead) before they passed the fish farms.
Fast forward a few years .... we have changed. We invested thousands of dollars on our little hatchery. We changed our old tanks to round fiberglass tanks. We increased our water flow from our springs and introduced the best practice from the industry. We built a special room for incubation in heath trays. We built a new upweller box to allow our fry to button up. In short we pumped major dough and volunteer time to improve our numbers. We went from smolt size at release of 10 to 12 grams to 20 - 22 grams. We have gone to quality and not quantity to experiment with getting our smolts to survive. The results have been so far disappointing. We clip our smolts so I have a good feel for how we are doing and I can tell you we are near the .1% survival rate.
Now the smolt studies that Welsh and his POST project have proved that smolts survive in the SOG. In fact they have been recorded as leaving the SOG and swimming past your buddies at the fish farms. The smolts make it all the way out past the fish farms then die. Why is that Dave? Mysterious Black Box by chance? How about this for a reason. They swim past your pals in the fish farms and pickup lice, virus or bacterium from the wall of death you people have put in the migration route. All for the love of money.
Wake up and smell the coffee as we are near the point of no return.
GLG

Charlie

In Canada the Atlantic fish farm industry, our politicians and the corporate media work together to protect the Atlantic Salmon feed lots and other industries that put Pacific salmon at risk. Unfortunately we are in some ways a less democratic nation than the US and it is very difficult to fight the blending of corporate and government power.

In Canada it seems there are powerful big money interests which view Pacific salmon as nothing more than a threat to profits or potential profits. Sure they see Pacific salmon as having some value for commercial exploitation in the short term but in their big picture it would be best if Pacific Salmon are gone. The loss of our Pacific salmon, way of life, tourist industry and the economy of our coastal communities are acceptable losses to them as long as the profits of their industries are protected and allowed to grow. The fish farm industry even managed to co-opt some of our major environmental organizations but have lost ground there recently so it has not been a good month for them.

They are masters at controlling information and manipulating public opinion to provide them the social license necessary to exploit resources such as our inlets for fish farms and nothing else matters but maximizing the next quarter’s profit. Almost nothing is spent in Canada on restoring Pacific Salmon as that would be counterproductive to their objectives.

Luckily the US government seems to view Pacific Salmon somewhat differently and has spent billions on their restoration. For example while you are tearing out dams that interfere with Pacific salmon we are on a mission to turn every last coastal Coho and Steelhead stream into a power generating station. It is all good in the public’s mind, however, because it has been labeled “green power”.

When was the last time we saw a negative editorial in a major BC newspaper on fish farms? You see then in Seattle papers but a major BC Paper, never. We may be waiting a long time to see some journalistic integrity and guts from the editorial boards of our major papers on this issue.

It is almost humorous to watch our corporate media spin up the pro oil pipeline hype now that the pipeline industry (having learned from the fish farm industry) has decided to throw million their way with a new advertising campaign to push a pipeline through to the coast. It almost seems to me that the corporate media was scaring the pipeline industry a little until they got what they wanted, more advertising dollars.

The Atlantic fish pen corporations do of course hate forums like this where the democratic virtues of free speech and rational discussion threaten the work they do so well with the mainstream media to control public opinion. They do not like spending millions to install the “correct” point of view in the public only to see it undone here and in other social media. Therefore we can expect we will be graced with the likes of Dave, Absolon and Barbender from time to time.
Dave up until now has tried the soft approach, probably because Absolon failed so miserably with the usual social media attack and disruption tactics. Absolons approach works better on more general discussion forums with less well informed participants.

Dave is being very careful trying to build a little credibility and not to give much but you will notice some similarities with the tactics and arguments of the departed Absolon beginning to show. That is interesting isn’t it.

Finally Charlie; I think it is extremely difficult for those opposed to Atlantic net pens in our jointly shared ocean to make much progress against all the money, political and media power that protects them in Canada. Perhaps you and the USA can do better as they threaten not only our Pacific salmon but yours.

Alaska does not allow Atlantic salmon net pens, you only have a few Atlantic salmon farms in the lower 48 and your government actually values and defends Pacific salmon. Can you not get rid of your last few Atlantic salmon net pens down there in Washington State? That would be a good example for Canada to follow.

Why does your government allow the imports of BC farmed Atlantic salmon? Perhaps that will change now that your government is showing signs of concern and beginning to show interest in exploring and testing for disease links between Pacific and farmed Atlantic salmon?

Rockfish you nailed it! Couldn't agree more. The push is on for public opinion on a project that a few years ago would never have been considered. I'm hoping we'll recognize Canada when Harper is done but it's looking like quite the fight. Donate to Alex donate to the Dogwood Initiative fund, sign petitions, do what you can because once they're done, we're done!

Well, let's talk to the BC NDP and brief them on what we want and what BC needs so that they know what is expected from them after a successful election next year. They have at least 2 of the 4 keys to the fish farms. If they lock them up then they are done here.

Dave
Cheech and Chong

"Dave's not here, man!" - by Cheech and Chong

(Soft knocks at the door)
CHONG: Who is it?
CHEECH: It's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff.
(More knocks)
CHEECH: It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.
CHONG: Who?
CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here.
(More knocks)
CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me.
CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.
CHONG: Dave?
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me.
CHONG: Dave's not here.
CHEECH: No, man, I'm Dave, man.
(Sharp knocks at the door)
CHEECH: Hey, c'mon, man.
CHEECH: It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me.
CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave.
CHONG: Dave's not here.
CHEECH: What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you...
(More knocks)
CHEECH: C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops
saw me.
CHEECH: Oh, what the hell is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave!
CHEECH: Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the goddam door!
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave!
CHEECH: Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door?
CHONG: Dave's not here

And so another fish feedlot pal has left the building.......
I thought I would post up this classic from the seventies.
Kind of how Dave answered our questions with his dribble.
Make you wonder if our new friend Dave is the Chong of the fish feedlot clan.

GLG

I am quite sure our new friend Dave (Chong might be fitting?) knows full well why your Coho survival rate has dropped so low! He should, as he's been fighting the same diseases that is killing them for almost 40 years. He probably also knows Marine Harvest is currently in the midst of another disease outbreak (not confirmed, yet just IMO).

Here is an example (it is not complete) of some of the diseases your wild salmon have been and are currently swimming through on their migration though the Strait of Georgia:

Company: Marine Harvest / Kitasoo Aqua Farms
Site Status: Licensed salmon farm
Site Size: 73.19 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,815 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Sablefish
Disease Reported: Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2004

Site Size: 18 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,375 tonnes
Disease Reported: Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2002 2004, Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2003, 2004

Site Size: 21.7 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,200 tonnes
Disease Reported: Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2003, 2004

Company: Marine Harvest (Norway)
Site Size: 24.3 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,500 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2006)

Site Size: 38 hectares
Licensed Production: 4,000 tonnes

Site Size: 26.7 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,300 tonnes
Disease Reported: IHNv 2003

Site Size: 28 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,550 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Sablefish; Rainbow Trout

Site Size: 32 hectares
Licensed Production: 2256 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon
Marine Mammals Shot: 4 California Sea Lions

Site Size: 30 hectares
Marine Mammals Shot: 2 Harbour Seals, 2 California Sea Lions

Company: Mainstream / Cermaq (Norway)
Site Size: 7.23 hectares
Licensed Production: 675 tonnes *
Disease Reported: Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2003

Site Size: 78.5 hectares
Licensed Production: 860 tonnes *
Disease Reported: (Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2002), (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004, 2005), (Piscirickettsiosis outbreak documented at Maude Island for the first time and Cecil Island for the second time in Zone 3.3 on November 8, 2005)

Site Size: 17 hectares
Licensed Production: 650 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004, 2005) (Piscirickettsia salmonis detected for the first time in the Broughton Archipleago during September 2005 BCMAL surveillance activities.)

Site Size: 11.49 hectares
Licensed Production: 10 tonnes *
Disease Reported: (IHNv 2003), (Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2003, 2007)

Site Size: 25.1 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,000 tonnes *
Disease Reported: (IHNv 2003), (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2005)

Site Size: 25.2 hectares
Licensed Production: 300 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2005)

Site Size: 9.55 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,000 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Piscirickettsia salmonis detected by Mainstream Canada at a low levels during late August early Septemebr 2005)

Site Size: 13.8 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,800 tonnes
Marine Mammals Shot: 1 Harbour Seal

Site Size: 4.34 hectares
Licensed Production: 150 tonnes *
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004, 2006)

Site Size: 20.8 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,860 tonnes

Site Size: 33.9 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,600 tonnes

Site Size: 27.8 hectares
Licensed Production: 5,258 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004),(Aeromonas salmonicida (Atypical) Infection 2005)

continued:

Site Size: 41.6 hectares

Site Size: 20.8 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,860 tonnes

Company: Grieg Seafood BC (Norway)
Site Size: 37.9 hectares
Licensed Production: 4,400 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2006, 2007)

Site Size: 36 hectares

Site Size: 65.45 hectares

Site Size: 36 hectares

Site Size: 9.914 hectares
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Coho salmon; Sablefish
Disease Reported: (Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2003), (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2005)
Marine Mammals Shot: 11 Harbour Seals, 2 California Sea Lions

Site Size: 48.633 hectares
Marine Mammals Shot: 9 Harbour Seals

Site Size: 20.9 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,315 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Sablefish; Steelhead trout
Disease Reported: Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004

Site Size: 20 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,800 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Coho salmon
Disease Reported: Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2002, 2003, 2004

Site Size: 21.9 hectares
Licensed Production: 5,250 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2002, 2004, 2005)

Site Size: 46 hectares
Marine Mammals Shot: 11 Harbour Seals

Site Size: 22.317 hectares
Disease Reported: Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2002, 2003, 2004

Site Size: 11.9 hectares
Licensed Production: 3,150 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2003, 2004, 2006)

Site Size: 21 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,160 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Rainbow trout
Disease Reported: (Vibrio (Listonella) angullarum Infection 2002), (Renibacterium salmoninarum infection 2002,2003, 2004, 2005)

Site Size: 21.96 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,202 tonnes
Disease Reported: Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2003, 2004

Site Size: 8.1 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,425 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2002, 2004, 2005)

Site Size: 9.097 hectares
Licensed Production: 2,200 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Aeromonas salmonicida Infection 2003, 2005), (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2003)

Site Size: 23.48 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,500 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Coho salmon; Rainbow trout
Disease Reported: (Vibrio (Listonella) Infection 2004),(Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2007)
Marine Mammals Shot: 3 Harbour Seals

Site Size: 17.06 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,100 tonnes
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2006, 2007, 2009)
Marine Mammals Shot: 1 Harbour Seal, 3 California Sea Lions

Site Size: 14.1 hectares
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Coho salmon; Sablefish; Rainbow trout
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004, 2007, 2009)

Site Size: 19.4 hectares
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2007, 2009)

Site Size: 3.8 hectares
Licensed Production: 1,000 tonnes
Licensed Species: Atlantic salmon; Chinook salmon; Coho salmon; Sablefish; Rainbow trout
Disease Reported: (Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection 2004, 2007, 2009)

This information is provided by:
http://www.livingoceans.org/bc-salmon-farms-production-and-problems

Don’t think for one second that those “fish farms” aren’t killing your wild salmon - they are just "dead fish swimming"!

[h=1]Kudoa thyrsites[/h]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudoa_thyrsites#References
soft flesh syndrome

Looking through Marine Harvest website it's seems to be a explanation of there lack of profit in BC
Could this be why they are clearing out their stock.
I have heard reports that people in Alberta are complaining about the quality of there farmer salmon.

GLG

I tell everybody I can about the diseases.

[h=1]Kudoa thyrsites[/h]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudoa_thyrsites#References
soft flesh syndrome

Looking through Marine Harvest website it's seems to be a explanation of there lack of profit in BC
Could this be why they are clearing out their stock.
I have heard reports that people in Alberta are complaining about the quality of there farmer salmon.

GLG

Here is some reasons way Dave knows he would be a “FOOL” to get into a discussion or debate with me concerning “open net” fish farms! IF he wishes… all I can say is “Good luck Dave”! J

http://thecanadian.org/k2-video/ite...age-reaveals-devastation-beneath-salmon-farms

KML
Disease Information
www.livingoceans.org/sites/.../ff_diseases_feb2012.kmz - Canada
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: KML Document - View on Google Maps

Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHNV)
Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis (IHN) is a viral disease of wild salmon, first recognized in the 1950s. In British Columbia, the virus has been isolated in sockeye, chinook, coho, rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon as well as a variety of wild, non-salmonid marine fish. Susceptibility to disease varies between the species and with the strain of the virus.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada maintains a complete listing of the occurrence of this virus in wild stocks in British Columbia. IHN has been recently identified as the cause of significant mortalities in farmed and enhanced salmon in the Pacific Northwest.

Outbreaks of the disease in wild salmon have been reported primarily in juvenile sockeye and occasionally chum salmon in freshwater. The IHN virus has also affected immature kokanee (freshwater sockeye) adults.

Outbreaks of this disease in Atlantic salmon farms in British Columbia occurred in 1992, 1995, 1996,1997 and 2001. All reported cases occurred within the Campbell River area.
When salmon farming companies report that the IHN virus is suspected on a salmon farm in British Columbia, Ministry of Agriculture and Lands fish health staff inspect the site and collect samples to test for the disease. These samples are submitted to the Animal Health Centre Laboratory. Farms affected by the disease must immediately implement isolation measures to reduce the risk of spread of the disease.

If there are other fish farms within the same area, or other farms are believed to be at risk, ministry fish health staff will also visit these sites to test for the presence of the virus.
Ministry staff work with Fisheries and Oceans Canada staff to ensure a coordinated approach to management of any outbreak of the IHN virus.

Updated: May 16, 2004
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/ahc/fish_health/IHNV.htm

Aeromonas salmonicida Infection
Aeromonas salmonicida has been recognized as a pathogen of fish for over 100 years. Emmerich and Weibel (1894) made the first authentic report of its isolation during a disease outbreak at a Bavarian brown trout hatchery, the manifestations of the disease including furuncle-like swelling and, at a later stage, ulcerative lesions on infected trout. Since that time a number of subspecies of A. salmonicida have been recognized, although the taxonomy of the species is far from settled. Aeromonas salmonicida is one of the most studied fish pathogens, because of its widespread distribution, diverse host range and economically devastating impact on cultivated fish, particularly the Salmonids.

Furunculosis, caused by the bacterium Aeromonas salmonicida subsp. salmonicida (A. salm), is one of the most serious infectious diseases of wild and farmed salmonids throughout the world, except South America (Ellis, 1997). Furunculosis was, for a long time, regarded as a disease occurring exclusively in salmonids. However, during the last decade several cases of A. salm infections have been reported in non-salmonids. In most cases these non-salmonids had some form of contact to salmonid populations with clinical outbreaks or as latent carrier of the causative agent (Bernoth, 1997). Furunculosis is an acute to chronic condition, with a variety of clinical signs (Hastings, 1988). The disease generally appears to develop as a septicaemia and is often fatal. Affected fish often show darkening of skin, lethargy and inappetence. Haemorrhages may occur at the bases of fins and the abdominal walls, heart and liver. Enlargement of the spleen and inflammation of the lower intestine are common features of chronic infections, but in acute outbreaks fish may die rapidly with few signs. The disease is named after the raised liquefactive muscle lesions (furuncles) which sometimes occur in chronically infected fish (Munro & Hastings, 1993).

The major route of transmission appears to be via infected fish and contaminated water (Hastings, 1988). Although the disease causes mortality of all ages, the most serious losses occurs during spring-autumn in the sea water farms. An important aspect of furunculosis is the carrier state, which is often established after the fish have been exposed to A. salm. Clinical outbreaks and mortality appear to be triggered by stress factors such as crowding, poor water quality, fright, high temperature and physical trauma (Ellis, 1997).
http://aqua.merck-animal-health.com/diseases/furunculosis/productadditional_127_113308.aspx

Renibacterium salmoninarum Infection
Renibacterium salmoninarum causes bacterial kidney disease (BKD), a chronic and sometimes fatal disease of salmon and trout that could lower fitness in populations with high prevalences of infection. Prevalence of R. salmoninarum infection among juvenile Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha inhabiting neritic marine habitats in North Puget Sound, Washington, USA, was assessed in 2002 and 2003. Fish were collected by monthly surface trawl at 32 sites within 4 bays, and kidney infections were detected by a quantitative fluorescent antibody technique (qFAT). The sensitivity of the qFAT was within an order of magnitude of the quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR) sensitivity. Prevalence of infection was classified by fish origin (marked/hatchery vs. unmarked/likely natural spawn), month of capture, capture location and stock origin. The highest percentages of infected fish (63.5 to 63.8%) and the greatest infection severity were observed for fish collected in Bellingham Bay. The lowest percentages were found in Skagit Bay (11.4 to 13.5%); however, there was no difference in prevalence between marked and unmarked fish among the capture locations. The optimal logistic regression model of infection probabilities identified the capture location of Bellingham Bay as the strongest effect, and analysis of coded wire tagged (CWT) fish revealed that prevalence of infection was associated with the capture location and not with the originating stock. These results suggest that infections can occur during the early marine life stages of Chinook salmon that may be due to common reservoirs of infection or horizontal transmission among fish stocks.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17058599

Piscirickettsia salmonis Infection
SRS (a.k.a. Salmon Rickettsial Syndrome or Piscirickettsiosis or Coho salmon septicaemia or Huito disease) is considered to be the most important disease problem in the Chilean salmon farming industry, with economic losses of over US$100 million in some years. SRS was first reported, from Chile, in 1989, but (Pisci)rickettsia-like organisms (RLO) are now frequently associated with disease syndromes in both salmonid and non-salmonid fish from both fresh and saltwater worldwide. During 1989, this disease was considered to be the cause of death of an estimated 1.5 million Coho salmon, many near market-size. A year later, the disease was also found to occur in Atlantic salmon and up to 90% mortality was seen on some farms. Outbreaks of SRS in other countries have not reached the levels of the Chilean outbreaks. For example, variable and inconsistent mortality of 0.6 - 15% has been reported in Canada and Norway.
http://aqua.merck-animal-health.com/diseases/piscirickettsiosis/productadditional_127_113333.aspx

continued:

Myxobacterial Infection
An outbreak of myxobacterial disease in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) reared in a Maine estuary.’
Sawyer ES.
Source
Center for Research, University of Maine at Portland-Gorham, 246 Deering Avenue, Portland, Maine 04102, USA.

An epizootic of a myxobacterial infection in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) was responsible for the death of 50,000 fish, 30% of the population. Cartiage in the nose, mouth and lower jaw was eroded, and yellow sheets of bacterial growth were observed in the mouth, pharynx and pneumatic duct. The severity of the disease increased with increasing water temperature. Pathogenicity trials were inconclusive; only two of 18 experimentally infected fish succumbed to the disease. However, the lesions, and the absence of other known pathogens suggests the myxobacterium was responsible.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16502702

Piscirickettsia salmonis Infection:
Piscirickettsia salmonis infection in Atlantic salmon
Salmo salar in Norway-epidemiological,
pathological and microbiological findings
'National Veterinary Institute Bergen, Minde Alle 10, N-5032 Minde, Norway
'National Veterinary Institute Oslo, PO Box 8156 Dep.. N-0033 Oslo, Norway

ABSTRACT: A rickettsia-like organism was isolated from diseased Atlantic salmon Salmo salar in Norway. Because of morphological and serological similarities to the type strain the suggested name of the organism is Piscirickettsia salmonis. The bacteiium is considered the most probable cause of a systemic disease diagnosed in 51 farms along the west coast of Norway. Most of the cases occurred in the autumn of 1988. The disease was only recorded in smolts after exposure to sea water and cumulative mortality has been low. In 63% of fish with gross lesions examined during outbreak of disease in 14 of the affected farms, the typical macroscopic finding was a normal coloured liver with white, circular, sometimes haemorrhagic foci. Of fish with gross lesions, 35% showed pale gills, a yellow, mottled liver, and haemorrhages scattered throughout the skeletal muscles, perivisceral fat, the stomach wall and the swimbladder. Histomorphological changes were most often observed as necrosis and granulomatous inflammation in the liver. Intracellular, intravacuolar bactelia-like inclusions with an affinity for phagocytic host cells were observed. Transmission electron microscopy revealed individual or paired organisms enclosed in membrane-bound vacuoles.
http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/31/d031p035.pdf

Vibrio (Listonella) angullarum Infection
Vibrio (Listonella) Infection
The genus Vibrio, belonging to the family Vibrionaceae, is a group of Gramnegative, facultatively anaerobic, curved, rod-shaped bacteria that are oxidase positive and non-spore forming (Kaysner and Angelo, 1998). This genus includes the human pathogens V. cholerae, V. mimicus, V. parahaemolyticus, and V. vulnificus, as well as fish pathogens Listonella anguillarum (formerly V. anguillarum), V. ordalii, V. damsela, V. carchariae, V. vulnificus, V. alginolyticus, and V. salmonicida (Reed and Francis-Floyd, 2002). Vibrio spp. pathogens also affect other species of marine fish, penaeid shrimp, as well as abalone (Liu et al., 2004). In addition, Vibrio spp. bacteria account for a significant portion of the food-borne infections from eating raw or undercooked shellfish (Thompson et al., 2004).

Vibrio (Listonella) anguillarum is a halophilic Gram-negative, curved rod with polar flagella. Vibrio ordalii was formerly known as V. anguillarum biotype 2, with reclassification based on both phenotypic characteristics as well as DNA relatedness (Schiewe et al., 1981). The common non-specific clinical signs of Vibrio spp. Infection in cobia include lethargy, darkened skin, abdominal distension, damaged eyes, and ulcerations of the skin. High mortalities are often observed in cultured fish, with 100% morbidity (Reed and Francis-Floyd, 2002) and mortality commonly over 80% (Liu et al., 2004). Fish less than 4 months old, <500 g, appear to be the most susceptible with the highest mortalities to these bacterial pathogens (Lin et al., 2005).

Vibrio (Listonella) anguillarum, one of the causative agents of vibriosis, is a primary pathogen of marine fish in salt and brackish waters. Disease outbreaks often occur in late summer in shallow near shore waters when water temperatures increase. ibriosis affects close to 50 species of salt and freshwater fish, and is a major obstacle for marine salmonid culture (Woo and Bruno, 1999). Vibrio (L.) anguillarum has been isolated from moribund striped bass (Morone saxatilis) from the Chesapeake Bay, exhibiting symptoms consistent with vibriosis, including hemorrhaging of the fins, eyes, and ventral surfaces, as well as internal petechiae (Toranzo et al., 2003). Vibrio (L.) anguillarum was first reported in North America in chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta). The first reported case of vibriosis (Vibrio alginolyticus) in cobia occurred in 2001 in Taiwan (Liu et al., 2004).

While the precise route of transmission is unclear, it is suspected that Vibrio spp. infections are initiated through the oral route (Reed and Francis-Floyd, 2002). Vibrio spp. can be found in normal gut flora, but under certain conditions can cross the intestinal wall resulting in a systemic infection. Infected fish shed bacteria into the water, allowing the pathogen to infect other fish. Most of the pathogenic Vibrio spp. increase in number during warmer summer temperatures and spread well in warm water recirculating systems.

Vibrio anginolyticus has been reported as another major pathogen for cultured cobia in Taiwan (Liu et al., 2004), however it is not closely related to V. (L.) anguillarum and V. ordalii (Schiewe et al., 1981). Diseased cobia infected with V. anginolyticus presented with lethargy, darkened skin, acites in the peritoneal cavity, and some fish exhibited damaged eyes. The disease can be present in cobia of varying sizes. In the study by Liu et al. (2004), V. anginolyticus was seen in cobia 100-120 g, as well as in
cobia 8-12 g, from two different outbreaks in Taiwan during the summer season. Lin et
al. (2006) also observed outbreaks associated with Vibrio spp. in early grow out of cobia,
under 4 months of age and below 500 g. Vibrio vulnificus has also been identified as a fish pathogen, as seen in ovate pompano (Trachinotus ovatus) in cage culture (Li et al., 2006). In fish infected with V.vulnificus, pathology is typically associated with external hemorrhages of the gill, head, ventral body, and base of the fins, especially the pectoral fins, along with hemorrhage in the liver and intestine. Symptoms may occasionally include ulceration of the dorsal and ventral body, deep muscle necrosis in the head region, as well as petechiae of the gills and fins (Li et al., 2006).
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-06052008-100915/unrestricted/Thesis_Machen.pdf

REALLY, need to read this... and THIS is only the ones reported:
XLS] 2002 BC Salmon Farmer Database [Excel] - Cohen Commission
www.cohencommission.ca/DownloadExhibit.php?ExhibitID=1591

Back