COHEN COMMISSION - Read it and WEEP

devers

VANCOUVER — Not to make a fish joke, but the jig is, er, up.

In cross-examination Thursday at the Cohen Commission examining the decline of the sockeye salmon in the Fraser River, a senior official with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the federal department still known as DFO, admitted that he believes non-native Canadians don't have a right to fish recreationally, but rather a privilege, and that he takes that attitude into negotiating rooms where he works with First Nations leaders.

"The public of Canada have rights?" Keith Lowes, lawyer for the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers, asked Barry Huber.

Huber is an aboriginal adviser in the DFO in British Columbia who is now on special assignment to develop "co-management" arrangements with natives for the fragile fishery.

"Yes," Huber replied.

"Including the right to fish recreationally?" Lowes said, adding conversationally that he believed Huber himself is a recreational fisherman.

"I have a privilege," Huber said carefully.

Clearly taken aback, Lowes said, "You say public fishing is a privilege, not a right?"

"Yes," said Huber.

Lowes then read aloud parts of a 1913 decision from the English House of Lords which re-affirmed that the public right to fish in the sea and tidal waters "had been established at an earlier date" than the Magna Carta and a 1996 Supreme Court of Canada decision which held that the elevation of aboriginal rights to constitutional status "was surely not intended that . . . common law rights would be extinguished."

In other words, aboriginal rights exist within a larger context.

Huber demurred a little then about his lack of legal knowledge, but said, "I didn't come here (to British Columbia, from Alberta) with a right."

"So public fishing is a privilege?" Lowes pressed.

"I can't say that (legally)," Huber replied, adding, "But that's my view. I live in B.C., but I don't believe I have a right. I can't, as opposed to First Nations, say I have a right."

"You take into the room with you that belief?" Lowes asked, "that the Canadian public has no rights of fishery?"

"We have a privilege," Huber insisted.

The exchange, ordinary in the scheme of cross-examination but startling at this federal inquiry, where even witnesses testify co-operatively, was prompted by Lowes asking about something Huber said earlier this week.

On Tuesday, he said flatly that "First Nations have rights. Others don't . . . I think a lot of Canadians don't understand that."

Lowes, reading from notes he made at the time, told Huber he found the remark startling.

Huber said the remark "was taken out of context," noted that some people at the inquiry are quick to do that, admitted he should have been more careful and that he had been talking only about the native-only FSC (Food, Social and Ceremonial) fishery.

"I should have reflected it that way," Huber said.

A little later, Lowes was at it again, asking if the DFO mandate wasn't to "manage a public resource" on behalf of all Canadians? Huber agreed. "But your view is that the public is fishing by a privilege?"

"That's the way I view it," Huber said.

The lengthy back-and-forth appears to illustrate that the very fellow charged with negotiating new fishery deals with First Nations on behalf of all Canadians — on the "government-to-government" or "nation-to-nation" basis increasingly demanded by native leaders — is arguably prepared to give away the store because he doesn't believe non-natives have a leg to stand on.

Indeed, in the first line of the first personal profile section of his curriculum vitae, filed with the commission, Huber wrote that he enjoys "working with and helping people, in particular, Aboriginal people."

He is Ottawa's voice on the four-member panel which was testifying this week. The other members are St'at'imx Grand Chief Saul Terry, Haida policy adviser Russ Jones and Neil Todd, a consultant to the Nicola Tribal Association and operations manager of the Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat.

Lowes' was not the only spirited cross-examination Thursday.

Phil Eidsvik, a fisherman and non-lawyer who represents the B.C. Fisheries Survival Coalition, in his excruciatingly polite way, raised the delicate topics of DFO enforcement, or lack of it, against those who may take too many fish or fish out of season.

Wouldn't that perhaps help officials "get a handle" on illegal sales? Eidsvik asked Jones, who replied that "I don't think enforcement is a major issue."

But, as ever at this proceeding, and perhaps as it must be when there is a quartet of witnesses in the witness box at one time, Grand Chief Terry put his hand up, a sign he wished to "comment."

"In my determination," he said indignantly, "the matter (enforcement) would be irrelevant, trying to charge the person.

"We do have the right to take the fish and what we do with it is to be determined by us," he said, adding that "our people know what is right and what is wrong, and behave accordingly."

And there you have it: First Nations are inherently better than others (the sort whose people know what is right but may do the wrong thing anyway) and the government man negotiating with them on behalf of the rest of us fully concurs with that.

Postmedia News

cblatchford@postmedia.com

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Natives+other...s+negotiator/5033243/story.html#ixzz1QpIL1Fen

Holy Crap! What planet is this guy from! ALL Canadians have rights. Or maybe we don't and he's the first honest politician and let it slip. What the hell! I guess we should change it to the BILL OF PRIVILEGES since it appears that the attitudes of a few out weigh the needs of the many. This is a slippery slope. I just hope it doesn't turn into an event where the Non-native Canadian public falls on its face into a pile of Sh#t.

Just call me door mat from now on................

Great post Devers, but this should be in the 'Conservation/Political' forum.

Great post Devers, but this should be in the 'Conservation/Political' forum.

You are probably right about posting on the political forum but I was in shock after I read this article. I do not understand how DFO could hire Barry Huber (remember that name) to negotiate on behalf of all the people of Canada. He obviously has pre-conceived views and opinions which do not reflect those of the vast majority of Canadians who pay his fees. In fact I would suggest his views/opinions are are very radicalized (similiar to any radical group whether left or right of center) Shame on you DFO for hiring him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm..so apparently if all goes well, some Canadians will have far more rights than others based on skin color and race.

But then again...do First Nations actually believe they are Canadian?.......I've read where they don't think they are. They think they are what they are before Canadians arrived.

Quebec would also like it the way it was before Wolfe kicked Montcalm's butt on the Plains of Abraham as well.

All Canadians are equal, but some Canadians are more equal than others. Apologies to George Orwell.

IT seems white people are minorities now!!!!!!!doesnt it!!!!!

wolf

This is Not News-there has never been any right to fish recreationally in Canada.

Neither is there a right to fish commercially-this has been tested in the courts a number of times.

Natives won their right to fish for Food, Ceremonial and Social purposes (FCS) in court and sportfishermen can do the same-mount a constitutional challenge.

The BC Driftfishers claimed to be doing just that but they ran out of money enthusiasm or both since they no longer exist.

Good to hear from you Dogbreath. I was kind of hoping you would provide us with your views/opinions on this topic.

You mention that the "right to fish" has been tested (assume in lower courts) comercially but you do not mention that the "right to fish" recreationally has been tested. I assume because it hasn't been challenged.

I would then argue that all CANADIANS do have the "right to fish" recreationally until the courts (highest court) says CANADIANS do not. I am not sure that the bureaucrats who , for the most part despite what their political masters might say, direct policy in this area want the rights of ALL CANADIANS challenged in this area.

That said, I am sure Thomas Pane (Rights of Man unless all my education went for naught) and those who challenged the "Rights of MAN" whether American (1776), French (1789) etc would take umbrage (like that word) with this entire matter.

Further, I would suggest it is unconscionable for a gov't representative (like Barry Huber) and his masters at DFO to take a negative position which has NOT gone before the highest court in this land.

Off to Prince Rupert on Thursday for some fshing and hope we can get together some time after that.

Cheers,

If you want to keep "on top" of the "day to day" goings on at the COHEN COMMISSION then just google COHEN COMMISSION and you will gets numerous writers stories of the happenings. Makes for interesting reading.

I guess my own issue with this is that:

A) It sets the presidence that we don't actually have rights to anything in this country by that definition, and

B) That the Native Rights are for ceremonial, subsistence etc. NOT for them to wipe out a returning stock so they can sell it at the road-side or threw the "Friends" network.

This is just the begining,They did not give up there rights to what was under the ground to ,or the rivers .

Forwarded link to a buddy of mine.
Attached copy of an e mail he sent to Ashfield.

Will post copy of response(s) if and when received.

To: keith.ashfield@parl.gc.ca
Cc: Elizabeth.May@parl.gc.ca ; pm@pm.gc.ca ; dcreid@catchsalmombc.com ; Fin.Donnelly@parl.gc.ca ; info@thetyee.ca ; Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Natives, not others, have 'right' to fish, says DFO negotiator?

Minister Ashfield - could we have your views on whether or not non-aboriginal Canadians have a right to recreational fishing - or as your official is quoted as saying in the attached article, only aboriginals have a "right" - for the rest of us, it's a "privilege". Your official's view is wrong and insulting.
We look forward to your reply.

Some more from the COHEN COMMISSION - looks like it is probably a "SHOW" for the public with little intent to ask/address the hard questions. Looks like nothing will probably come of it.

Christie Blatchford: Fish inquiry short on questions, answers
Comments
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email

Christie Blatchford Jun 28, 2011 – 8:11 PM ET

Jeff Bassett for National Post

Sockeye salmon
VANCOUVER – It really is the weirdest proceeding, unlike any I’ve seen before.

Counsel for the Cohen Commission examining the decline of the Fraser River sockeye salmon (also known as the federal inquiry into the missing fish) don’t actually conduct examinations-in-chief of their witnesses. What they do, rather, is throw up some slides of the witnesses’ resumes and then begin lobbing in a few beach balls.

Related

Christie Blatchford: Fishing for the missing salmon

Sample exchange from Tuesday, when the counsel was Jennifer Chan.

Q: “Would you say there is special First Nations’ knowledge?”

Answer: “Definitely.”

Q: “Would you say that includes ecological knowledge?”

A: “Oh yes. Too often our traditional knowledge is cast aside in favour of ‘science’.”

I believe the witness responding at the time was Grand Chief Saul Terry of the St’at’imx Nation, but it’s hard to be sure – another quirk of this inquiry is that it hears evidence from panels of witnesses. Tuesday, for instance, there were four of them testifying as a group.

I use the word “question” only because I can’t think of an alternative.

There are certainly no hard questions, as prosecutors or special counsel routinely ask their own witnesses in courtrooms, inquests and inquiries every day across this country – if only because it’s considered good practice for the lawyer conducting the examination-in-chief to ask about any tricky bits before cross-examination begins.

There are few surprise questions, except those that may occasionally come from inquiry head and Supreme Court of B.C. judge Bruce Cohen. Examinations-in-chief here seem highly choreographed, with the participants making hard-working contestants on (italics)So You Think You Can Dance(end italics) look like pikers by comparison.

Really, there are hardly any actual questions at all, and few answers as that word is normally understood.

Instead, Ms. Chan would throw in a series of loaded or sympathetic statements, each ending on a rising interrogative note as though there was a question there, and the witnesses would then offer small speeches, as if they had “answered.”

(Ms. Chan is one of four junior counsel with the Commission, and I don’t mean to be unduly tough on her. Patrick McGowan, one of three associate counsel, acted in much the same fashion the day before. I doubt they would conduct themselves this way if it was not the way they all, including the policy, research and senior lawyers, do business.)

The Commission is this week examining the topic of “Aboriginal Fishing” (as opposed to the earlier segment of the inquiry which examined aboriginal cultural practices), and the Tuesday panel consisted of Grand Chief Terry, Neil Todd from the Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat and a consultant with the Nicola Tribal Association, and Russ Jones, a spectacularly well-educated and well-spoken policy advisor to the Haida Fisheries Program and member of the First Nations Fisheries Council and long-time member of the Pacific Salmon Commission.

The fourth member was Barry Huber, an aboriginal affairs advisor with the DFO, the still-used acronym for federal department now called Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

In the old days, I suspect, Mr. Huber might have been known as “the government man”, the one fellow who would have been expected to parrot the party, or Ottawa, line. The more alarming possibility is that perhaps he was, but certainly, some of what he had to say woke me up from my acronym-induced state of languor.

For instance, while Ms. Chan was inquiring about the 1993 Fraser Watershed Agreement and why it was that some First Nations didn’t sign on, Mr. Huber said, “Some of the wording some of the First Nations didn’t find acceptable and the way it was introduced – coercively, in my mind. They had to sign onto this to get AFS (Aboriginal Fishing Strategy) funds.”

On the in-progress efforts to develop “co-management” strategies with First Nations, Mr. Huber said, “First Nations are interested in having a much larger say.”

On the abilities of DFO versus those of First Nations: “Our own department is facing many more challenges than First Nations…There’s a lot of capacity-building needed on our staff.”

In response to a question from Brenda Gaertner, lawyer for the First Nations Coalition, Mr. Huber said at one point, “First Nations don’t feel that in a multi-disciplinary group {meaning groups which also have representatives from the sport and commercial fishermen} their views can be fairly represented, and I tend to agree with them.”

And finally, when Ms. Gaertner asked if there has to be a distinction made between commercial and recreational fishing organizations and Aboriginal groups, Mr. Huber said, “Well. First Nations have rights. Others don’t … I think a lot of Canadians don’t understand that.”

Do they? Perhaps they don’t. But if they sat in at these hearings, particularly if they weren’t native but were fishermen, my hunch is they might also believe that what they were hearing and seeing was not just a changing of the guard, but also the death throes of their beloved industry.

Postmedia News
cblatchford@postmedia.com

The BC Federation of Drift Fishers is a organization that fights for all angler rights. The Sport Fishing Defence Alliance is now defunct. Not enough dollars to fight the fight. Keith Lowes was also the SFDA lawyer.

This is Not News-there has never been any right to fish recreationally in Canada.

Neither is there a right to fish commercially-this has been tested in the courts a number of times.

Natives won their right to fish for Food, Ceremonial and Social purposes (FCS) in court and sportfishermen can do the same-mount a constitutional challenge.

The BC Driftfishers claimed to be doing just that but they ran out of money enthusiasm or both since they no longer exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the only real way to keep fishing for in this country is to start buying counterfit Status cards... <Indian express card, never leave home without it haha.>

Hmmm..so apparently if all goes well, some Canadians will have far more rights than others based on skin color and race.

But then again...do First Nations actually believe they are Canadian?.......I've read where they don't think they are. They think they are what they are before Canadians arrived.

Quebec would also like it the way it was before Wolfe kicked Montcalm's butt on the Plains of Abraham as well.

dont be fooled seafever , some people in canada already have more rights based on their race!!!!!!!

Back