Coating cannonballs yourself?

advTHXance

Hello fisherfriends,

Looking at options to dip/coat cannonballs. Ideally id like to coat about 80 15lb cannonballs at the lodge I work at, possibly ~80 hali weights as well.

I know plastidip is a thing, not entirely sure how the process works or how to prime/prep the surface. It also looks very expensive and I wouldnt want to blow our whole tackle budget on it.

Glow would be nice but not necessarily necessary...

Wondering what other options are out there, also if theres anywhere that sells plastidip (or a similar product) in like 5 gallon buckets rather than a dinky little spray can. Powder coating is probably not something were capable of doing at the lodge with minimal resources.

Ive tried PNT, Harbour Chandler, Industrial Plastics. In each case the person I spoke with on the phone said they dont carry a product like that, and didnt really have any idea of which direction to point me.

Any advice or knowledge is welcome, ******** is welcome too!

Thanks in advance,
advthxance

Hello fisherfriends,

Looking at options to dip/coat cannonballs. Ideally id like to coat about 80 15lb cannonballs at the lodge I work at, possibly ~80 hali weights as well.

I know plastidip is a thing, not entirely sure how the process works or how to prime/prep the surface. It also looks very expensive and I wouldnt want to blow our whole tackle budget on it.

Glow would be nice but not necessarily necessary...

Wondering what other options are out there, also if theres anywhere that sells plastidip (or a similar product) in like 5 gallon buckets rather than a dinky little spray can. Powder coating is probably not something were capable of doing at the lodge with minimal resources.

Ive tried PNT, Harbour Chandler, Industrial Plastics. In each case the person I spoke with on the phone said they dont carry a product like that, and didnt really have any idea of which direction to point me.

Any advice or knowledge is welcome, ******** is welcome too!

Thanks in advance,
advthxance
The best stuff I have used was a two part Urethane Devcon Flexane 80 but it is very expensive but I got some expired product that was getting trashed.
I also have used some crappy Tire Rubberized Rockerguard which worked ok . The application of both products was pretty messy with the hanging canon balls dripping until the stuff set up. I haven't tried epoxy yet but I think a two part epoxy would work well if you can get it cheap enough and you could add color or glow to it.

Plastic dip spray paint is what I and friends use. No prep needed and gives a rubber like coating to the balls. Quick and easy. May be called plastic coat. Canadian Tire.

How many balls does a single can coat? Any issues with peeling or flaking? How thick do you have to put it on there?

You can get 2 balls probably 3 out of a can. The trick is to shake the shizit out of the can to get a good mix. Have not had any issue around peeling. As thick of a coat as you prefer.

Last summer, I was experimenting with dipping all my lead cannon balls and it worked out awesome. No need to hang dry it. I put the hot dipped ball in cold water and the epoxy instantly hardened.

I met a guy in Victoria that has a business with wax and epoxy. Give him a call and tell him exactly what you’re trying to do. He’ll be able to help you out.

For glow. I bought the glow powder on Amazon and added it to the mix once it was hot. Super easy.

IMG_4826.jpeg

That looks awesome Mikey, thanks! Ill give the guy a call

Interesting stuff, how well does it stand up to hitting the bottom? I like to bounce bottom in a few of the sand and gravel spots, so looking for something that is durable as the vinyl applications. Tx

Interesting stuff, how well does it stand up to hitting the bottom? I like to bounce bottom in a few of the sand and gravel spots, so looking for something that is durable as the vinyl applications. Tx
I drag my balls on the bottom if it’s sandy and sometimes I hit rocks. Haven’t had it break on me yet. If you’re bouncing on rocks, I wouldn’t bother dipping as your chance of losing it is much higher. Going through all that effort and snagging bottom would **** me off. Just use bare lead at that point.

I think main point why I looked into dipping lead is so I don’t have to be exposed to lead and it scratching my boat when it hits the side of the boat while Hali fishing.

I drag my balls on the bottom if it’s sandy and sometimes I hit rocks. Haven’t had it break on me yet. If you’re bouncing on rocks, I wouldn’t bother dipping as your chance of losing it is much higher. Going through all that effort and snagging bottom would **** me off. Just use bare lead at that point.

I think main point why I looked into dipping lead is so I don’t have to be exposed to lead and it scratching my boat when it hits the side of the boat while Hali fishing.
Bare lead is much more grabby than coated lead. Coated seems to slide off rocks a bit better than plain.

Bare lead is much more grabby than coated lead. Coated seems to slide off rocks a bit better than plain.
Exactly why I use coated ones. Other advantages as noted are less damage to the boat if you make a mistake pulling the ball in etc. Was just asking how this coating performed compared against the usual vinyl ones we currently use, and if its a less expensive option to pursue. Those coated ones are getting waaaay too pricy.

Oops, tried including a pic of the product they sell at Harbour Chandler that I use to coat all my Hali weights - sadly file was too large. The product is called Flexabar - Buoy Coating for vinyl buoys. Works great and lasts a long time. Easy to dip each weight then hand to air dry.

Last summer, I was experimenting with dipping all my lead cannon balls and it worked out awesome. No need to hang dry it. I put the hot dipped ball in cold water and the epoxy instantly hardened.

I met a guy in Victoria that has a business with wax and epoxy. Give him a call and tell him exactly what you’re trying to do. He’ll be able to help you out.

For glow. I bought the glow powder on Amazon and added it to the mix once it was hot. Super easy.

View attachment 105550
Is this epoxy dipped and then water dipped? Or wax than epoxy then water? Or epoxy mixed with wax and then water?

My understanding is its a heated epoxy mix that you simply dip and then dunk in cold water to have it harden up. The process seems super simple. I wont know for a couple weeks but ill try and remember to update you guys on how it goes.

The most expensive part is the glow powder!

The unexpected quenching process had me chuckling…

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.
In the Waters of the Depths where the Shadows lie.
One Cannonball to rule them all, One Cannonball to find them,
One Cannonball to bring them all, and in the darkness outshines them.

Last edited:
Tom Cat the original owner Bob was who I used more than 25 years ago when I bought his lead business. I was trying to buy the whole thing but could not afford it all. At the time Bob was doing basic colours...until one day my friend Deryk had a special request for Chartreuse colourded cannonballs for one of his customers. I got Bob to order in and we did a run.

Then we went to a fireman Derby in Barkley and had a slaughter fest. We were on fire, noticeably catching way more than the other boats around us. We figured out that the only difference was that we were using chartreuse balls.

On the way home we were talking and next thing you know the glow in the dark cannonball was born. It was my second colour that I commissioned Bob to do for me on my lead products. Then we did 50/50 glow UV.

Never looked back. I sold my lead business a number of years ago. I am setting up to run again under PEETZ, where we will accomplish this process in house. I am the first person in the world to make and sell glow and glow UV cannonballs. 🙂

Last edited:
Back