Coast Reels DT1?

Southswell

Hey there,

Has anyone had a chance to try a Coast Reel DR1 Mooching Reel? I had planned to pick up an MR3, but I played around with the demo DR1 at the Chandler and am pretty intrigued. It's a large reel with an anti-creep feature. I haven't been able to find out much about the reels online however and have no idea about life span, serving and parts. Any knowledge or experience would be appreciated!

I know a few guys that love them. I have seen a few and yes you can get parts. Not that common yet but I'm sure you will start to see more on the water.

I have one and really like it. Zero line creep and a great drag. Loving it so far. Worked well last week on some mid teen chinooks. Haven’t had the pleasure of anything larger on it yet.

Oly

These Coast reels were originally made by the 2 guys that owned Wise Buys Tackle in Colwood. Good reel. Who makes them now? Same guys, or someone else? My concern would be how long will this manufacturer be around for to provide repair service and parts?

Case in point - I have a Forged Fly Fishing Monarch mooching reel. Well built, great drag - no line creep, my favorite reel, but they no longer make it and there are no replacement parts so it may end up having a limited useful lifespan. Something to consider when buying an expensive reel.

If I were buying a new mooching reel I would check out the Amundson Trend TMX5

Last edited:

Bill and Colin didn't make the reels but I think they were involved with Milroy making them. doesn't look like the Milroy engineering link is current so who know

Hey there,

Has anyone had a chance to try a Coast Reel DR1 Mooching Reel? I had planned to pick up an MR3, but I played around with the demo DR1 at the Chandler and am pretty intrigued. It's a large reel with an anti-creep feature. I haven't been able to find out much about the reels online however and have no idea about life span, serving and parts. Any knowledge or experience would be appreciated!

I have had one for 4-5 years and its still my go to reel. Next time I swap out the line I will install the shimano paddle handles I think that might be better than stock ones but thats my only complaint.

Does anyone have a copy of the Coast DR1 manual or where I can find a copy online? I bought one used and it makes an odd noice when I feed out the line and it has line creep which they're not suposed to. I want to take it apart to service it and to also make sure all the parts are there and in the right places. Ive done a search online but couldn't find anything. Any help would be great. Cheers

Does anyone have a copy of the Coast DR1 manual or where I can find a copy online? I bought one used and it makes an odd noice when I feed out the line and it has line creep which they're not suposed to. I want to take it apart to service it and to also make sure all the parts are there and in the right places. Ive done a search online but couldn't find anything. Any help would be great. Cheers

You can call Milroy. They made those reels.

Its the same part order as an islander, trophy or ?? Those will all work.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting you say that I checked out how Islander reels come apart already and what parts and order they are in. My Coast clutch plate is stuck to my spool side and i can't seem to free it and there are 2 washers above the spring. The islanders cluch plate stays on the body side held on by an o-ring and has only one washer above the spring. Question ; is your comment based on experience with the coast reels or just a guess? If it's experience then I have something wrong with my cluch plate and have an extra washer. Thanks

I service all of them routinely and most are slight variations of the same design. The Coast may have more than one washer as they add more if needed to get the spacing perfect (you can add more to an islander if you want to reduce the number of turns to get a tight drag). They are in the right location. The Coast does not have an O ring and neither do the old MR 2 or the TR 3. Your issue is with the clutch plate being stuck to the spool............ might be a rusted bearing or a super dry drag washer. try to gently "pry it off using a screw driver on opposing sides at the same time. PM me if you wan to have a chat and I can help you out.

I have had one for 4-5 years and its still my go to reel. Next time I swap out the line I will install the shimano paddle handles I think that might be better than stock ones but thats my only complaint.
Be careful with the knobs on the coast. When I changed mine there was a heavy dose of loctite permanent type product. ( better than none I guess) Screw heads stripped when my machinist buddy tried to work them out with snap on tool bit. Ended up using a left handed drill bit to remove. Other than that I love em.

I service all of them routinely and most are slight variations of the same design. The Coast may have more than one washer as they add more if needed to get the spacing perfect (you can add more to an islander if you want to reduce the number of turns to get a tight drag). They are in the right location. The Coast does not have an O ring and neither do the old MR 2 or the TR 3. Your issue is with the clutch plate being stuck to the spool............ might be a rusted bearing or a super dry drag washer. try to gently "pry it off using a screw driver on opposing sides at the same time. PM me if you wan to have a chat and I can help you out.
Thanks for the info I did what you suggested and used 2 screw drivers on either side. It took some force but managed to free the clutch plate; there was rust on the bearing. I cleaned it up greased the bearing and put it togeather. Seems to work better the drag still seems like it might still slip or creep but I will try it out. Cheers

Thanks for the info I did what you suggested and used 2 screw drivers on either side. It took some force but managed to free the clutch plate; there was rust on the bearing. I cleaned it up greased the bearing and put it togeather. Seems to work better the drag still seems like it might still slip or creep but I will try it out. Cheers
These Coast reels were originally made by the 2 guys that owned Wise Buys Tackle in Colwood. Good reel. Who makes them now? Same guys, or someone else? My concern would be how long will this manufacturer be around for to provide repair service and parts?

Case in point - I have a Forged Fly Fishing Monarch mooching reel. Well built, great drag - no line creep, my favorite reel, but they no longer make it and there are no replacement parts so it may end up having a limited useful lifespan. Something to consider when buying an expensive reel.

If I were buying a new mooching reel I would check out the Amundson Trend TMX5
July 2022 and still at it - Coast reels manufacture and service - Milroy Engineering 564 John Street Victoria BC

Attachments

• E5D57B51-DC15-48C9-8C90-34C5B894891B.jpeg
    E5D57B51-DC15-48C9-8C90-34C5B894891B.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 86

Bill and Colin didn't make the reels but I think they were involved with Milroy making them. doesn't look like the Milroy engineering link is current so who know
The Coast reels have always been manufactured by Milroy Engineering. They are still in production with strong sales. Currently you can purchase them at Harbour Chandlers or Trotac in Victoria.

I just bought a new coast reel from harbour chandler .I have multiple islanders and able reels, but I thought I’d try one of these new reels out. I only fished it a couple of times and the reel seat came loose, guess they didn’t use any lock tight when assembling. The one time I didn’t bring a spare rod and reel. I could have tightened the screws up, but I would have had to take all of my brand new line and backing off that I just paid to have put on, and I didn’t have any lock tight handy. I fished the rest of the day with one rod. I hope they take this reel back, I’ll just buy another islander. I have no confidence in this product, disappointed

Back