Coal harbour to Winter harbour

Matsutake

Looking to avoid driving the road out. Wondering about running my 16ft tinny from Coal harbour to Winter harbour. I move along at about 30 km/hr.
So, morning is best? Any times to avoid? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Looking to avoid driving the road out. Wondering about running my 16ft tinny from Coal harbour to Winter harbour. I move along at about 30 km/hr.
So, morning is best? Any times to avoid? Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Easy run. Wind sometimes blows up the afternoon so just check weather day of and previous days to get a sense of what’s out there. Cruise the shoreline and enjoy the run out. Sometimes there’ll be a swell once you get past Cliff Pt but nothing to worry about. Way easier than trailering.

Good on you for checking this out on the forum beforehand In order to assess the size, seaworthiness and equipment of your boat against the conditions. I’m sure you will receive lots of input.

Have done this run many times with very few problems in a 20 foot deep v boat.

Main things to contend with in my experience are :

1, Currents in Quatsino narrows - requires adequate power and some to spare
2. Wood debris - can be hard to spot in wavy or turbulent conditions
3. Fog - heavy fog can be very challenging even with radar, there are other boats and yes even freighters in Quatsino Sound. Expect you don’t have radar.
4. Wind often comes up in the morning (outflow wind) and fairly regularly in the afternoon.

That said, personally, I would trailer in with a sixteen foot boat rather than run it out on water. I’m sure people on this forum have done it, but that doesn’t make it the better choice for the boat you have.

Not much to worry about to be honest, done the trip many times and never more than a ripple on the water (not saying it doesn’t blow up). It is a beautiful cruise out, roughly 30 miles.

As others have said, the narrows would be my only concern. Safe travels

Thanks a ton guys.
Hopefully see some of you out there end of August. Still a few springs to be had at that time?

I’ve had some interesting rides from cliff into winter harbour. Never been turned around tho, I would pay attention to the direction and strength of wind 24hrs before your trip. Heavy SE wind and swell can blow right across cliff Gilliam island and bounce off of McAllister island and Associated land on other side of inlet creating a sloppy ride. If your boat is loaded down more than usual this will change how the boat performs. We had a interesting ride in mid July this summer a heavy boat big messy swell made it interesting for sure. Inlet inflow and outflow winds can be uncomfortable but as mention you can hug the shore line, time the narrows one hour before to one hour after slack tide and there should no issues with nasty current. Easydoesit also has some good comments about wood and fog. Enjoy the area

I will weigh in on this. I have trailered my 16' Arima to Winter Harbour. Its a small, light boat, and tows easily. I went slow and really did not find it too bad at all, though its a long gravel trip. The good thing about towing is you don't have to worry about fog or wind, just slow down if its really bumpy (the last part is fairly). So for me I prefer to trailer. My boat is not terrible on fuel but I am sure my truck gets a lot better mileage too.

Back