Clutesi launch question

fishmate

Hi. Based on r travel time, we will be launching at Clutesi Tues am right around low tide. It's pretty low that morning. We r experienced and have a 21 ft Double Eagle w a 200 hp engine. Considering tide level and river current, advice re launching just before, on or after slack tide?

I launched Friday morning in the dark and it was a very low tide. Puttered out the river with a flashlight to find the markers. Depth at times was 3 feet. Couldn't figure out how to dim my plotter so couldn't follow it to stay in the channel. It all worked out fine. Should be easier if there is daylight. Biggest concern is if the river is running in either direction. You need to be ready with the power to get moving in the right direction when pulling away from the dock. Good luck.

Hi. Based on r travel time, we will be launching at Clutesi Tues am right around low tide. It's pretty low that morning. We r experienced and have a 21 ft Double Eagle w a 200 hp engine. Considering tide level and river current, advice re launching just before, on or after slack tide?
Read my Clutesi Chaos report ;). Launched Sat am at low tide in the dark then returned b/c motor acting up. Watched almost an hour of launches and the biggest take away was that too many tried to sneak out of the ramp area (turning towards the river run to fish) too early. Many were pushed back towards the side docks where boats had moved waiting for drivers to return from parking the vehicle. Anyone who ventured out a bit further before turning upstream found it much easier.

Found out that it is MUCH easier to dim your sounder screen at the dock before heading out. Mine is a simple second press of the power button. This brings a pop-up screen which contains both a dimmer selection and a Night vision option. Using these two engaged makes for a relatively simple travel down in an otherwise dark pathway.

Launched there for years. Low tide is tricky at times. Make sure your boat motor warms up for few minutes, get ready, get clear in the path into fast moving water. Good control, you ll be alright. If engine stalls, boat will drift down. Be careful. I prefer high tide.

Launched there for the first time ever on Saturday morning just before 4:30 am (Got one of the last couple spots in the lot). I do not need a lot of water to launch, but had zero problems. Seemed plenty deep enough to launch just about anything (but it was also quite dark, so hard to tell for sure).

Unless you have a travel cover for your boat I wouldn't recommend going to China Creek. The dust gets into everything. Stayed there last week with a buddy and his boat. Not many places to park your empty trailer.

I don't mind ramp. Probably one of the better ones I launched out of. People expect in prime time ramp on coast not too busy. If you take your time and ignore circus your fine. I wouldn't be launching unless it's a bit light out. I know guys do it but it can be hazardous if you don't know what you are doing.

I won't launch at China creek I love my trailer the way it is. Dust show.

Personally on larger boat you might want to just wait a bit and not try to go on lowest tide.

I was there last week watching. They had wharf girls helping things go relatively smoothly, doing such things as holding boats while solo's went for their trucks. (throw the kids a fiver you cheap asses). There are some big boats, inexperienced crews etc. but not to bad. One guy decided to power his big boat onto the trailer blowing half the boats behind off their holds. Nice ramp. Just have to be patient and considerate. Beaver creek really needs a traffic light.

I was there last week watching. They had wharf girls helping things go relatively smoothly, doing such things as holding boats while solo's went for their trucks. (throw the kids a fiver you cheap asses). There are some big boats, inexperienced crews etc. but not to bad. One guy decided to power his big boat onto the trailer blowing half the boats behind off their holds. Nice ramp. Just have to be patient and considerate. Beaver creek really needs a traffic light.
Some guys with big boats need to power on... try tying your boat up properly... I agree with the traffic light though. I've almost been run over twice crossing at the cross walk.

I've launched and retrieved at low tides and with the river ripping. Easier to get out then back in in my opinion.

I always power load and I always warn anyone behind me. As a result I'm out in half the time and guys behind me are clear sooner. The googans who spool out 20' of winch strap and crank for 5 minutes really tie up the system. If your bunks are set right and you have side guides let the engine HP do the work.

I always power load and I always warn anyone behind me. As a result I'm out in half the time and guys behind me are clear sooner. The googans who spool out 20' of winch strap and crank for 5 minutes really tie up the system. If your bunks are set right and you have side guides let the engine HP do the work.

I would love to load my boat under power, but the problem I have is I have a bad hip, and climbing on and off the boat at the bow while loaded on the trailer is incredibly difficult. I suppose I could climb down stepping on the wheel, but that requires getting soaked - not so bad on a hot summer day, but certainly not ideal!

I would love to load my boat under power, but the problem I have is I have a bad hip, and climbing on and off the boat at the bow while loaded on the trailer is incredibly difficult. I suppose I could climb down stepping on the wheel, but that requires getting soaked - not so bad on a hot summer day, but certainly not ideal!
???? I step off the side onto the dock. If I have someone with me who can handle the truck/trailer, I don't even get off until he's hooked the bow and pulled me up into the parking lot.

Back