Close Calls

That may be your verion of it but mine is true to the T if you dont believe me better ask some one you know to really get the details I think they may be a little fogged on your part, in no way would I ever put you and Rock down as i KNOW you 2 were not behind the wheel, you guys are better navigators than that I didnt make this personal at all you did and ill be the first to admit any wrongdoing but any boat running in the datk with no running light or nav lights cmon lets be real!!!!!!!We were already anchored and had 2 rods out if you can remember that???

AS I said earlier I KNOW you 2 were NOT at FAULT my partner was way more madder than me for once and we did have fish we didnt bother to weigh them in !!!!!!As for me getting excited you obviously dont know me very well!!!!!

Thats why I hate that derby !!!!!!

Wolf

One of mt worst episodes of of a good spook was running a 32 foot Grand Banks from Coal Harbour marina in Van, to the north end of Denman Island. Newer glass GB with twin 90hp Perkins in it and more teak than you can shake a stick at. Singapor Girl, a great boat but very rolly polly as i was soon to find out without stabs. Departed at around 6am after listening to the WX that called for 10 - 15 from the South. Got into Georgia strait and it was already lumpy and blowing well over 20 SSE and the diesel fumes were blowing back into the cabin making me and my non seaworthy partner green. On a bit of a deadline i pushed on from above on the command bridge to avoid the fumes at a whopping 7kts as my partner slept up front with the windows open. A few hours later we were just off Mary island working towards Lasquiti Isl and the tide and increasing wind created huge breaking rollers pushing from the stern. We were not able to go fast enough to keep between the trough and the boat kept surfing. Then it would roll very hard to one side and take water as it pushed into the next wave in the following seas. Well built boat but it sure felt as though it was going to keel over and not come up each time. It took 9 hrs of me fighting the rudder and the two twin stick controls on every wave to get to Chrome Island where things began to calm down. I was soaked to the butt, as this boat was my bosses new pride and worth well over 100k in the early 90s and i was just 17. He asked how the trip went and i just smiled.

One of mt worst episodes of of a good spook was running a 32 foot Grand Banks from Coal Harbour marina in Van, to the north end of Denman Island. Newer glass GB with twin 90hp Perkins in it and more teak than you can shake a stick at. Singapor Girl, a great boat but very rolly polly as i was soon to find out without stabs. Departed at around 6am after listening to the WX that called for 10 - 15 from the South. Got into Georgia strait and it was already lumpy and blowing well over 20 SSE and the diesel fumes were blowing back into the cabin making me and my non seaworthy partner green. On a bit of a deadline i pushed on from above on the command bridge to avoid the fumes at a whopping 7kts as my partner slept up front with the windows open. A few hours later we were just off Mary island working towards Lasquiti Isl and the tide and increasing wind created huge breaking rollers pushing from the stern. We were not able to go fast enough to keep between the trough and the boat kept surfing. Then it would roll very hard to one side and take water as it pushed into the next wave in the following seas. Well built boat but it sure felt as though it was going to keel over and not come up each time. It took 9 hrs of me fighting the rudder and the two twin stick controls on every wave to get to Chrome Island where things began to calm down. I was soaked to the butt, as this boat was my bosses new pride and worth well over 100k in the early 90s and i was just 17. He asked how the trip went and i just smiled.

River Bar Crossing - Tillimook Oregon last October.

The Tillimook bar closes on the ebb flow 50% of the days of any month due to standing waves created by strong outgoing tide/bay flows meeting incoming swells. The bay entrance is akin to a giant balloon of water shooting thought a 100yrd wide venturi between the north and south jetties. This same bar dumps a 40ft charter boat on its ear about one in every 3-4years and is one Jeckle and Hide of a habor entrance as one could ever hope for.

That morning the tide peaked at 0600 and given the big swing from high to low was sure to close for next six hours. Solo, I elect to run out before the coasties come out for their moring closure inspection allowing me to fish un disturbed in the relative calm of the open ocean. As I run out the bar in need both GPS and Radar as it is dark as dark can get.

I cross the bar without incident and perhaps 60secs outside the danger zone I catch a glimse of something white on the water about 400yrd wide and heading straight for me. At first I think its just the night glow reflecting off the water, only, its closing in on me very repidly. As it draws closer with me staining to make it out, I see it is 13-14ft continously breaking wave that appears to be growing taller as it rolls into shallower water toward me. No time for screwing around I nail it full trottle and 90 degree turn to south in an attempt to out run the breaking section of the wave. Just making it I cut the power and point into the wave as if fills the windsheild, way above my head which is about 7ft off the water when at the helm station.

The bottom drops out for a free fall that seems like an eternity only to see another, and another of equal size rolling down on me. I come completely out to the water two more times - each time again, free falling 12-13ft into the trough. I managed to not soil myself while turning back to see the first of the three monsters completely blowing out the bar entrance and covering the tops of jetty as it and it's two sister roll straight into jaws of the bar.

If I had been just 40-50second slower I would have been caught right at the tips of Jetties with nowhere to go but under as they surely would have flipped/swamped the boat. The curl on these wave created a tube large enough to surf 20ft boat inside of them -well maybe not a 20ft'r but certianly a 16ft boat.

River Bar Crossing - Tillimook Oregon last October.

The Tillimook bar closes on the ebb flow 50% of the days of any month due to standing waves created by strong outgoing tide/bay flows meeting incoming swells. The bay entrance is akin to a giant balloon of water shooting thought a 100yrd wide venturi between the north and south jetties. This same bar dumps a 40ft charter boat on its ear about one in every 3-4years and is one Jeckle and Hide of a habor entrance as one could ever hope for.

That morning the tide peaked at 0600 and given the big swing from high to low was sure to close for next six hours. Solo, I elect to run out before the coasties come out for their moring closure inspection allowing me to fish un disturbed in the relative calm of the open ocean. As I run out the bar in need both GPS and Radar as it is dark as dark can get.

I cross the bar without incident and perhaps 60secs outside the danger zone I catch a glimse of something white on the water about 400yrd wide and heading straight for me. At first I think its just the night glow reflecting off the water, only, its closing in on me very repidly. As it draws closer with me staining to make it out, I see it is 13-14ft continously breaking wave that appears to be growing taller as it rolls into shallower water toward me. No time for screwing around I nail it full trottle and 90 degree turn to south in an attempt to out run the breaking section of the wave. Just making it I cut the power and point into the wave as if fills the windsheild, way above my head which is about 7ft off the water when at the helm station.

The bottom drops out for a free fall that seems like an eternity only to see another, and another of equal size rolling down on me. I come completely out to the water two more times - each time again, free falling 12-13ft into the trough. I managed to not soil myself while turning back to see the first of the three monsters completely blowing out the bar entrance and covering the tops of jetty as it and it's two sister roll straight into jaws of the bar.

If I had been just 40-50second slower I would have been caught right at the tips of Jetties with nowhere to go but under as they surely would have flipped/swamped the boat. The curl on these wave created a tube large enough to surf 20ft boat inside of them -well maybe not a 20ft'r but certianly a 16ft boat.

Back