Cleaning Rust And Discoloration From Stainless

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Just found my stainless knife that has been in my boat way to long unattended. It was stained with a few rust spots and surface stains. But I found out what cleans it up like new with very little work with a green scrubby....
photo_zps9b3462e3.jpg

Wow - who'd a thunk there would have been another use for toilet bowl cleaner. Good find, Owen!! Just wondering, though, what gave you the idea to try it?

I was trying to figure out what another member told me about so I Googled it and it worked so well I was surprised. I can no longer see a single stain on the knife. It also said that it cleans brass and bronze to a shine. I only tried it on stainless though. Wonder how it would work on spoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear gloves and eye protection-contains Hydrochoric Acid. Vanisol is a similar acid product that takes rust off stainless and fibreglass well.

Wear gloves and eye protection-contains Hydrochoric Acid. Vanisol is a similar acid product that takes rust off stainless and fibreglass well.

Now Vanisol is the best at removing the most stubborn stain from fibreglass.

But I have never seen stainless come out so shinny and free of rust stains so quickly and easily with Lysol.

respirator wouldn't hurt for shining spoons in front of the tv.

3. Composition / Information on Ingredients
Hydrogen chloride 10 - 20%

Interesting thanks.

I just used '30 second cleaner' on a old mossy moldy rusty motorhome. Put in a spraybottle spray on mabey wipe a tough spot, hose off 10 seconds later, gone. Sparkly metal in seconds. Basically all I could find was its super strong bleach with tsp. Says its enviro friendly but just about ate holes threw my shirt were the water splashed.

Other tool that works well for cleaning this stuff, along with stains/marks on the hull etc.. is the Magic Eraser. Works well to take out rub marks, grease stains, rust stains, blood and those dark grey/black stripes from rainwater. Use it on stainless rails to remove rust -- cleans vinyl -- pretty much anything.

Other tool that works well for cleaning this stuff, along with stains/marks on the hull etc.. is the Magic Eraser. Works well to take out rub marks, grease stains, rust stains, blood and those dark grey/black stripes from rainwater. Use it on stainless rails to remove rust -- cleans vinyl -- pretty much anything.

Carfull I have seen the damage a Magic Eraser can to to vinyl. It can remove the color/finish it even removes the white from white vinyl.

On and off... Awesome rust remover. Yes gloves, eyes and air!!

On Off Hull cleaner is amazing on rust stains and no elbow grease required. It is an acid so have the hose ready to wash off after 30 seconds. If it drips on your trailer wash off immediately or you'll have black spots everywhere!

Back