Clayton's Marina, Nanoose, B.C.

Kelly would be able to help you with the good spots and tackle. He's the local highliner.

Sounds good to me!

My grandfathers nephew sent me an email yesterday, he lives in Hawaii, anyway he remembers a big fireplace on the beach, a natural carve-out as he put it where they would sit in the evening and drink. Does that still exist?

Any pictures of the house that my grandparents would have lived in at the marina would be nice too. My earliest memory, I must have been in my late 2's (Lol) or 3 was when my uncle Klaus either moved in or out of the house. Everyone tried to help run the place after my grandfather died.

My aunt just sent me this picture of my uncle Chris standing in front of the office at Clayton's Marina around 1968. She believes she has more pictures, I will post them when I get them.

UncleChrisLargeSalmon.jpg

My dad was a local contractor that did work at the marina. Its quiet likely the first time I went salmon fishing was at Claytons with my dad

The way your uncle is dressed, that picture could have been taken last week. He must have been ahead of his time in terms of the way he dressed to fish. Pretty hip. The only thing that dates that photo is the fish, I doubt you pull anything that size outta Nanoose today?

I never caught anything bigger than about 7 lbs when my grandmother took me fishing there in the mid to late 1970's. The only big fish I remember was the 20 lb spring my uncle caught. The fish in the picture wouldn't look so big if my uncle was standing next to it rather than 2-3ft behind it :)

I can remember fishing there with my dad and uncle when I was 4 or 5 years old. I remember going down the ramp on rails and the little motor that sat right in the middle of the boat. I can only recall catching lots of coho.always wondered where claytons was located as I was to young to remember where it was.I just knew it was in nanoose somewhere.

My grandparents owned Clayton's Marina in Nanoose, B.C. in the late 1960's. I am looking for any memorabilia / collectibles or even pictures of the marina and the clinker built boats they rented out. Anything will be very much appreciated because I have nothing. Unfortunately my grandfather died in 1968 in his fifties and my grandmother sold the marina shortly after and bought a little house on the other side of Nuttal Bay so I did get to spend some time there. I remember the old clinker built boats and the sound they made on the water.
Thanks,
putt putt
We used to come over from Vancouver in the mid 60's to Beach Acres resort near Parksville in the summer during the school break and I remember my Dad and I renting the boats and being lowered down the rails and brought up again after fishing, is the site down the trail where Prawn road and Dorcas Point road meet at the mail boxes?

We used to come over from Vancouver in the mid 60's to Beach Acres resort near Parksville in the summer during the school break and I remember my Dad and I renting the boats and being lowered down the rails and brought up again after fishing, is the site down the trail where Prawn road and Dorcas Point road meet at the mail boxes?
That is the area. That trail will take you to the beach at Nuttal Bay. Further down the beach just past the point where the big Arbutus are is where the old boat launch was. There is a big multi million dollar house there now. They fixed up the boat launch and is now back to a brand new double lane launch. No one uses it other than the owner for his aluminum boat.

Back