Clayton's Marina, Nanoose, B.C.

putt putt

My grandparents owned Clayton's Marina in Nanoose, B.C. in the late 1960's. I am looking for any memorabilia / collectibles or even pictures of the marina and the clinker built boats they rented out. Anything will be very much appreciated because I have nothing. Unfortunately my grandfather died in 1968 in his fifties and my grandmother sold the marina shortly after and bought a little house on the other side of Nuttal Bay so I did get to spend some time there. I remember the old clinker built boats and the sound they made on the water.
Thanks,
putt putt

I actually lived right across the road from where it once stood. The concrete boatramp still stands but it has obviously seen better days. Heard stories from old-timers that they would head out in those clinkers and fish the areas kelp beds.

I was 2 years old when they owned the marina and lived in a little house next to it, I think the house was yellow. The house my grandmother bought on the other side of the bay had a V shaped roof, It was recently torn down.

Hi Putt Putt
I live on Haida Way just on Nuttal Bay. There are a few people around that have been there a long time. I was interested in seeing pics of the old days around Nuttal Bay. There's not many better areas to live. I walk the dog aroung the old boat ramp all the time. Is your grandparents property the one with the old buildings and sheds back in the trees. It's the same one property with the old boat ramp. The property next to it is owned by the Mitchells.

They owned the marina so I would say yes the property with the old boat ramp. I am surprised to hear there are old buildings and sheds still there, I thought the property had been developed. I agree it is great area to live. The property my grandmother bought on the other side of the bay is 1442 Reef Rd., as far as I know she gave it the name "Beyond the Reef". Looking at this property from the water, she also owned the property on the left, she subdivided it in the 70's and sold that lot to friends of hers, the Fidues (spelling might be wrong).

My grandparents were Gerhard and Gertha Schulz. After my grandfather died my grandmother met and married Jim McKinnon, they lived there until 1981.

This is a picture of a painting my grandmother had done in the 70's of Jim's wooden boat, I believe that is the marina in the background. The boat was sold in 1980, I saw it on a trailer headed for Sointula or Alert Bay when I lived in Port McNeill.

DSC06092.jpg

I believe these pictures were taken near the marina. This was my uncle Chris's '68 Ford Cortina GT, he was babysitting some local kids and rolled the car with them in it, apparently nobody was injured.
scan0001-1.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg

This is the '69 Chev pickup he bought after.
ChevPickup.jpg

Pretty cool painting and pics. I moor my boat in Nuttal Bay during the summer just like that painting. In fact the pic of my boat on my posts is of it moored in Nuttal Bay. I row my tender out from the beach to get to the boat.

Nice looking boat. My grandmother took me fishing quite often, she had either a 12ft or 14ft Smokercraft with a 7.5hp Merc on it, I still have the old motor. My uncle caught a 20Lb spring out there in the mid 70's, we were playing on the beach and could here him screaming Woo Hoo! or something like that when he got it in the boat, Lol.

Weird i moved from cloverdale to nuttal bay. Putt putt i have alot of oldtimer friends in the area that have fished since the 50s. Ill ask them if they have anything related to the old marina.

I will as well. If I come up with anything I'll share it with you guys. The whole of Nuttal Bay where the beach is was all a campsite as well. The retaining wall at the public access has 1963 stamped in it. It would be cool to see some of the pics from the old days.

Isn't that something, I appreciate it, thank you! (even pictures would be nice)

I am looking at a vintage boat later today, if I get it I am going to take my sons to Nuttal Bay, show them where their great grandparents lived and do some fishing.

Back