Chum Salmon

J

jaez270

So i'm curious as to why there isn't more press involving chum Salmon.

Is there some big secret that I don't know about?
Are they worth fishing for, and if so when is the best time to catch them?

Inquiring minds wanna know!!

you don't really hear much about chum salmon because they are cat food grade salmon, deteriorate quickly once in the freshwater and fight like a water soaked log going downstream unless just days in FW.

People fish for them cause in lots of rivers that's all that's left.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - a new Fishing forum

I agree chums are very nice smoked, then you cover a chunk with chanterelles, pour on a half pint of whipping cream and bake in oven for about 30 minutes, yum!

Last Sept. I found a lovely little bay where bright chums were holding waiting for the rains. I spent 3 hours and tried about a dozen different flies but no luck.

Anyone have any success using cast flies in the chuck, if so what pattern? Thanks.

Big Bob, i have had some luck out in sooke Off Billings Spit casting flies. Its a very nice spot but somtimes the gear chuckers get in the way. Then i switch to gear and smoke a few.

-Steve

Is there any CHUM Salmon going up the COWICHAN RIVER and be fished for in the estuary at the mouth???

quote:Originally posted by HOOTEY

Is there any CHUM Salmon going up the COWICHAN RIVER and be fished for in the estuary at the mouth???

Check your regs. The Cowichan estuary is CLOSED.
There is a small area on the south shore open for the pink salmon fishery.

Please read the regs and updates on the internet before you head out.

Big Bob, try clouser/streamer patterns in bright orange/white; bright green/white & big bunny leeches or zonkers in similar colours. In the salt, double hook, tube-tied articulated flys. You can use those little fly-clips to swap-out flies quickly to figure which colour/pattern is going to do it. I also like a little crystal flash tied on the nose & tail, longer trailing bits, not tightly-tied body wrapped.

Cheers!

There is a small beach off cherrypoint rd (small parking lot right on the beach) coho and chum hold there for weeks. Some guys fish from shore, seen row boats, belly boats etc. This was a few years ago so not sure about timing and regs. (cowichan bay) Sooke estuary can be good I seen them (chum) chase your fly too your feet, the odd coho as a bonus. Fly only above the bridge. Have never tried in the salt chuck, have heard lots about browns bay wondering if its worth a try. I live in shawnigan so thats a 3hr drive or so for a day trip.[?]

quote:Hey Mr ts what do you call the lower part of the puntledge please?

Puntledge Park and down. The hotspot is the combat zone below Condensory bridge. And Poppa-- after having my a## kicked by a large chum while flyfishing down there, I have a LOT of respect for them as a sportsfish in freahwater. Remember, these fish are bright and still carrying sealice

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

What if any are there any shoe casting location on or near Cowichan Bay[?] And when are the fresh CHUM expected on the east coast over here[?][?]

Holly ,,,caught my first of probable 20 Chum on the Nitnat River on the last day of Spring Fishing,,,have never been so impressed by the fight of those so called dog fish....they hit like a freight train and go up down sideways was great....would like to fins some dogs locally....[:p]

I fish for all types of salmon and think bright chum are definately great fighters and will readily bite.In fresh water try puple and red flies or wool and in the chuck I have done well trolling hot pink squirts.

NOT CHROME ,HAD SEA LICE ON STILL,,,CAUGHT ON PINK VIBRAX......[8D]

Chum Salmon are well worth angling for and provide some of the best pound for pound action around. It's not like you have to keep everything you hook, enjoy the sport!

Chum Salmon are well worth angling for and provide some of the best pound for pound action around. It's not like you have to keep everything you hook, enjoy the sport!

Back