Chinook Management Measures - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Effective April 1, 2024

Looks like DFO has added 1 month to hatchery fishing in Victoria and Sidney Areas. Last year it was only May that was open. So they have giving us April as well as I remember. There is a minimum size only of 45cm in Victoria Area and minimum size Sidney area 62 cm again Hatchery only but no Size Limit on the hatchery fish caught. I am no lawyer but this is how I read it.

Area 19 (Victoria and Saanich Inlet)

Effective April 1, 2024, until May 31, 2024, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only.

These measures apply in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1, and 19-3 to 19-8.

Reminder: The minimum size for Chinook is 45 cm in Subarea 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4. The minimum size for Chinook is 62 cm in Subareas 19-5 to 19-12.

For Sooke Area 20. The same as before only small portion outside of Cheanuh Marina again 45 cm Min, No Max Hatchery Only .

Subarea 20-5 (portion of Beecher Bay):

Effective April 1, 2024 until July 31, 2024, the daily limit of Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only.

That portion of Subarea 20-5 north of a line drawn from (48°19.554'N, 123°37.768'W) to (48°19.589'N, 123°36.533'W) then following the shoreline of Frazer Island easterly to the RCA boundary at (48°19.700'N, 123°36.267'W,) then to (48°19.633'N, 123°35.681'W).

Reminder: The minimum size for Chinook is 45 cm in Area 20.

Area 18 is a bit messy as always. The Keys are 62 cm minimum size, No Max, Hatchery Only.

Area 18 (portions of the Gulf Islands)

Effective April 1, 2024, until May 31, 2024, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only.

Subareas 18-6, 18-7, and 18-10.

THEN AFTER MAY 31, There is only a small portion of 18-6 Open. As per below and Area 18-7

Effective June 1, 2024 until July 31, 2024, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only.

That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48°44.0239’N, 123°25.5622’W) to Harry Point on Piers Island (48°42.6137’N, 123° 25.1697’W) and west of a line from Indian Point on Piers Island (48°42.1410’N 123°25.4996’W), then through the red buoy U16, then through the green marker on the metal pilings, then due south to a point on Vancouver Island (48°41.6714’N 123°25.5501’W); and

Subarea 18-7.

Reminder: The minimum size for Chinook is 62 cm in Area 18.

And while you are out enjoying these opportunities, a reminder that the SFAB process helped advance a strong science-based proposal for MSF - please get involved in your local SFAC Committee - its a small time commitment to attend 2 meetings per year (fall and spring meetings). The SFAB needs people who are interested and engaged in learning more about recreational fisheries management issues, and participating in the SFAB process to provide input.

Just out of curiosity, is Satellite channel typically good fishing in June and July for chinook? I've only fished Wain in the winter as it's been closing Aug 1 since I've owned a kayak. My understanding is that the Puget sound fish find their way into the inlet on their way south, and these are usually the migratory fish that get caught later in the winter and early spring. I don't know how that plays out over the summer months, though.

Just out of curiosity, is Satellite channel typically good fishing in June and July for chinook? I've only fished Wain in the winter as it's been closing Aug 1 since I've owned a kayak. My understanding is that the Puget sound fish find their way into the inlet on their way south, and these are usually the migratory fish that get caught later in the winter and early spring. I don't know how that plays out over the summer months, though.
Its better early spring.

Area 18 is a bit messy as always. The Keys are 62 cm minimum size, No Max, Hatchery Only.

Area 18 (portions of the Gulf Islands)

Subareas 18-6, 18-7, and 18-10.

THEN AFTER MAY 31, There is only a small portion of 18-6 Open. As per below and Area 18-7

Effective June 1, 2024 until July 31, 2024, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only.

That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48°44.0239’N, 123°25.5622’W) to Harry Point on Piers Island (48°42.6137’N, 123° 25.1697’W) and west of a line from Indian Point on Piers Island (48°42.1410’N 123°25.4996’W), then through the red buoy U16, then through the green marker on the metal pilings, then due south to a point on Vancouver Island (48°41.6714’N 123°25.5501’W); and

Subarea 18-7.

Reminder: The minimum size for Chinook is 62 cm in Area 18.
Sorry I suck at understanding, is all of area 18 open until may 31 for 1 hatchery/day?. Then after May it's just a portion of 18-6 18-7?

18-6, 18-7, 18-10 only until May 31 is the way I read it.
Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for DFO to come out with a full ,detailed announcement,including maps that gives somebody the information necessary to comply with the regulations with ample time to make preparations to fish. Nobody wants to screw up and get pinched for making a mistake but they keep making it ridiculously difficult to sort things out. :mad:

I’m a first year idiot on this but if I go to area 14 tidal refs it still says can get 2/4 chinook, but from what I’m seeing here pretty much the whole Georgia straight - Salish Sea is no salmon period

I’m a first year idiot on this but if I go to area 14 tidal refs it still says can get 2/4 chinook, but from what I’m seeing here pretty much the whole Georgia straight - Salish Sea is no salmon period
Those are the "general guidelines" Form there you need to check the in season changes on the DFA (DFO) Fisheries Notices Page https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-s...939335b1a-5CA0624C-C6F2-B29F-13EEBE78300FF4EC Then sieve through all the crap that doesn't apply to you. The best way to go in my opinion, is to download the FishingBC app. DFO is now accepting it as a valid license. There is a whole thread on it.

Not familiar with area 14 specifics as it isn't my normal fishing grounds, but probably you are looking at the current regs which apply to end of month. The ones posted on this thread are as of April 1.

Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for DFO to come out with a full ,detailed announcement,including maps that gives somebody the information necessary to comply with the regulations with ample time to make preparations to fish. Nobody wants to screw up and get pinched for making a mistake but they keep making it ridiculously difficult to sort things out. :mad:
I dunno, I know that's a common criticism and I agree they could make it clearer, but I think once you understand the basic structure of how they present them they aren't THAT hard to understand. As someone else posted, there probably will be maps of a lot of this stuff eventually just not posted yet.

At least DFO names specfic landmarks and even GPS points. The freshwater salmon regulations are the ones I find hard to go by. All these closed areas on rivers that they just use local name for, which is great if you're a local but useless if you're not.

"No fishing upstream of the point between 'ol Charlie's barn and the donut hole,except on Sundays from Sept 1 to Sept 15, and thereafter only on the quarter moon with a ribbon in your hair"

Back