Chinook Feedback Summary Mar-5-2019

IronNoggin

Summary of Feedback Received by DFO in consideration for the 2019/2020 Chinook Management Approach March 2019

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:1e61f87a-2842-46bd-993c-b72dfbb1bb44

Have a look at the numbers here folks. The NGO's are ruling the day, with a full 74 % of the input to date.

Then take a look at the various key issues identified by each group.

By any stretch, the recreational fishing sector is floundering.

Get your letters in ASAP if you want to be fishing at all down the not-too-distant road...

Minister Wilkinson: min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

There are some good suggestions what to include in your letter here: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-chinook-information-feedback-required.73642/

Nog

Was worried about the ENGO response but the first nation response supporting option A is terrifying.

Now i feel like i'm going to puke.

upload_2019-3-9_13-31-12.png
upload_2019-3-9_13-31-36.png

Just so everyone knows
Scenario A or B were not up for consultation
It’s was happening either way
Letters, phone calls, etc are not going to change one single thing.
The FN statements about closing down the rec sector totally tell you exactly where the divide is in our country.
This has nothing to do with saving those chinook stocks
It’s simply about reallocating access to one user group in my opinion.

Dear Anglers,
Please forward this along to any of your fellow anglers so everyone is informed.

Please see the attached documents from the SFAB regarding the 2019 Fraser River Chinook fisheries management in Southern BC.
As many of you already know the Fraser River stream-type Chinook salmon, which are migrating through FMAs 18, 19 and 20 during April, May, June and July, are experiencing persistent declines.
In 2018 there was a 27.5% total exploitation on these fish from all sectors and the department has indicated they intend to reduce this in 2019.

On February 5th DFO sent out a letter to FN and stakeholders proposing how the 2019 Chinook fishery should be managed on the south coast. They offered two options A or B, outlining fisheries for all sectors.

On Thursday the SFAB, responded to DFO, providing their advice on how this spring and summer Chinook fishery should be managed.
Under the SFAB proposal FMAs 18 (Sidney + Southern Gulf Islands), 19 (Victoria + Oak Bay) and 20 (Race Rocks + Sooke) may be managed to a daily limit of 1 hatchery Chinook and a possession of 2 hatchery fish between April 1st and July 31st. The area north of Cadboro Point (parts of 19 and all 18 except Cowichan area) the SFAB have requested the minimum size limit be reduced to 55 cm down from 62 cm for April, May, June and July. Additionally, the SFAB have requested the areas of FMA 20 that are outside Juan de Fuca Strait (off Port Renfrew) not be included as they have traditionally been managed the same as West Coast Vancouver Island.
Anglers are urged to be cautious at this time as the department has not yet decided on how they will manage the fishery and the proposal from the SFAB has not been formally adopted. DFO are getting a lot of pressure to manage to Plan A (Chinook non-retention between April 1 to July 31) from FN and the environmentalists.

Dear Anglers,

Anglers are urged to be cautious at this time as the department has not yet decided on how they will manage the fishery and the proposal from the SFAB has not been formally adopted. DFO are getting a lot of pressure to manage to Plan A (Chinook non-retention between April 1 to July 31) from FN and the environmentalists.

Going to do a lot for" Reconciliation"!!

Was worried about the ENGO response but the first nation response supporting option A is terrifying.

Now i feel like i'm going to puke.

You have more than ample reason to be nervous. VERY Nervous that is:

nB3IKAw.jpg

LFFA: Lower Fraser Fishery Alliance

Their letters all focus on UNDRIP and Reconciliation, as well as their court / constitutionally defined rights.
They want it all, and screw everyone else. Period.

Best be getting every single one you know to write in repeatedly!!

Worried!
Nog

You have more than ample reason to be nervous. VERY Nervous that is:

nB3IKAw.jpg

LFFA: Lower Fraser Fishery Alliance

Their letters all focus on UNDRIP and Reconciliation, as well as their court / constitutionally defined rights.
They want it all, and screw everyone else. Period.

Best be getting every single one you know to write in repeatedly!!

Worried!
Nog

Yeah I saw months ago they wanted zone zero management, posted it on here. According to them they are not getting enough FSC chinook and its contravention of their S35 rights.

Yeah I saw months ago they wanted zone zero management, posted it on here. According to them they are not getting enough FSC chinook and its contravention of their S35 rights.

Well it’s not because they are all getting caught in the ocean!

Surely (Hopefully?) DFO can see through that BS.

Aren’t we really being fed a line here by dfo? Seriously, I understand that we’re likely a part of the problem but we’re not the biggest reason why fish are disappearing! It baffles the mind that dfo would shut down a massive economic engine in bc without really saying here it is, the real problem and here’s how we’re going to fix it! They can’t do that because the real reason is decades of mismanagement on the governments part. Bowing down to corporate lobbyists in heavy industries that quite frankly aren’t good for anyone except the people in it. We all know that sector. But like always we’re going to het handed the tab and get told to eat it. Well elections have consequences and so do political decisions. Who’s voting LIBERAL if we’re shut down until August? I’m not, not ever again. It’s time fishermen started voting for fishermen.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if this government makes this move. It would fit right in with their agenda.

But come this fall most will forget again just like they will forget about they’re swindling in the SNC Lavalin ordeal. People have short memories and will go for the newest big promise.

Many out there will once again go to even farther left. They keep inviting these people in the door and handing them the keys then wonder why it’s happening.

This has happened in Alberta already with our walleye fishery. 90% of our lakes out here are closed for walleye rentention yet the natives and Metis can set all the nets they want and believe me they do. Yet we as sport anglers are non retention. Our lakes a loaded with walleye for those that know how to catch them yet they are kept for the natives and metis. So don’t think for one minute it can’t happen it can and it will cause it is happening in places now.

Back