Chineese Diesel Heaters - Extras

5AC0465D-6426-4E41-B7D5-E3C383862E83.jpeg
When I bought my boat last January, the Wallas stove wasn’t installed properly. I contacted Trotac, the canadian dealer. The tech there advised me, based on pictures I sent him, on how to properly install it. Taking into account where the previous owner drilled the hole in the hull. I had to include the loop and drainage lock (pipe with copper loop drain) and use tubing to drain copper loop into the bilge. This is for any water coming in from outside or condensate.

View attachment 74881
When I bought my boat last January, the Wallas stove wasn’t installed properly. I contacted Trotac, the canadian dealer. The tech there advised me, based on pictures I sent him, on how to properly install it. Taking into account where the previous owner drilled the hole in the hull. I had to include the loop and drainage lock (pipe with copper loop drain) and use tubing to drain copper loop into the bilge. This is for any water coming in from outside or condensate.
Ace job! Picture perfect: short run, pro pipe lagging, proper gooseneck, heat clearance and down-slope to the thru-hull.

To add to the list Sir-vivor has listed. Is a muffler necessary? The one that comes with the kit has a hole in it, for vehicle use. If you need one?Then the Planar stainless one is needed?

To add to the list Sir-vivor has listed. Is a muffler necessary? The one that comes with the kit has a hole in it, for vehicle use. If you need one?Then the Planar stainless one is needed?
The muffler does help with the noise. It's actually quite quiet. The Chinese ones are stainless. The hole is to drain condensation. If the exhaust run is short (3 - 4') condensation is not an issue.

The muffler does help with the noise. It's actually quite quiet. The Chinese ones are stainless. The hole is to drain condensation. If the exhaust run is short (3 - 4') condensation is not an issue.
Thanks
I think someone mentioned the hole would cause a CO2 issue?
I guess, depending on your boat, the noise would or wouldn’t be an issue. A center console day fishing boat may not need one. But a cruiser that will be slept on would.

Thought I'd add my pick of the extras added to my completed exaust system . This is only my choices I am not recommending it and you should seek a professional for your application. Just what I am using for my exaust
I purchased the "P" items from Planar in Langley, great guys they are the professionals if you need advice on your system
I replaced what was given in the kit as follows or felt was needed and not supplied:
Exhaust tape
Exhaust Cement
Exhaust pipe
SS Thru Hull
Exhaust muffler
Exhaust Heat Shields
SS Pipe Supports
Exhaust Elbow
Exhaust Clamps
PSX_20220203_151957.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks
I think someone mentioned the hole would cause a CO2 issue?
I guess, depending on your boat, the noise would or wouldn’t be an issue. A center console day fishing boat may not need one. But a cruiser that will be slept on would.

The muffler that comes with these chinese heaters does make a large difference in the noise that the exhaust makes for sure, but you can't use them for a boat installation due to exhaust gas leakage from the condensation hole. Seeing as my exhaust is outside my hull and I have a pilothouse I don't find it to be a problem with no muffler.

The loudest part of these heaters is the clicking fuel pump. There are various solutions for that on the Facebook heater groups.

Thought I'd add my pick of the extras added to my completed exaust system . This is only my choices I am not recommending it and you should seek a professional for your application. Just what I am using for my exaust
I purchased the "P" items from Planar in Langley, great guys they are the professionals if you need advice on your system
View attachment 74933
Thanks for the detailed picture. I notice you chose the heater with the 4 smaller outlets. I’ve seen some with a T fitting and larger hose. I think the Planar units are like that. What kind of louvred end vents do you use with your unit? I don’t see them in the Vevor pics online.

The muffler that comes with these chinese heaters does make a large difference in the noise that the exhaust makes for sure, but you can't use them for a boat installation due to exhaust gas leakage from the condensation hole. Seeing as my exhaust is outside my hull and I have a pilothouse I don't find it to be a problem with no muffler.

The loudest part of these heaters is the clicking fuel pump. There are various solutions for that on the Facebook heater groups.
If you have a short exhaust run (3-4') you will not have a condensation issue. Just seal the hole in the muffler with a short sheet metal screw, as I did.

If you suspend the pump, instead of a hard attachment, then use a bit of foam pipe insulation or similar stuff - repurposed, flexible packing foam - around it, you will find it's almost silent.

Here is a pic of both sides of my NEW muffler included in the Chinese diesel heater I recently bought ( but replaced with one from Planner at almost the cost of the heater lol) but where do u see a hole, I dont ??20220203_162053.jpg20220203_162042.jpg

Thanks for the detailed picture. I notice you chose the heater with the 4 smaller outlets. I’ve seen some with a T fitting and larger hose. I think the Planar units are like that. What kind of louvred end vents do you use with your unit? I don’t see them in the Vevor pics online.
Screenshot_20220203-175645_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20220203-175645_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20220203-175645_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here is a pic of both sides of my NEW muffler included in the Chinese diesel heater I recently bought ( but replaced with one from Planner at almost the cost of the heater lol) but where do u see a hole, I dont ??View attachment 74944View attachment 74945

That dimple on the one side (top picture, bottom side, bottom picture top side) is a condensation hole. I bench ran mine before installing and these mufflers are really leaky for exhaust. Most of it comes from the condensation hole, but some comes from the seams because they are only tack welded together. Planar does make a sealed marine exhaust, but that's not what you have there.

That dimple on the one side (top picture, bottom side, bottom picture top side) is a condensation hole. I bench ran mine before installing and these mufflers are really leaky for exhaust. Most of it comes from the condensation hole, but some comes from the seams because they are only tack welded together. Planar does make a sealed marine exhaust, but that's not what you have there.
Are u saying the planer one I have will leak as well ??Screenshot_20220127-190743_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, no doubt a person can make a few improvements to the Chinese heaters. I sealed the entire exhaust system, including the muffler edges, wrapped the tubing with the heat resistant tape, then covered it with a larger diameter, flexible steel tube for safety - both for heat and for potential CO leaks. The muffler is close to the thru- hull, just past the gooseneck. The ends of the small tube are wrapped with the tape and then the larger, outer tube is clamped in place.

Yes, no doubt a person can make a few improvements to the Chinese heaters. I sealed the entire exhaust system, including the muffler edges, wrapped the tubing with the heat resistant tape, then covered it with a larger diameter, flexible steel tube for safety - both for heat and for potential CO leaks. The muffler is close to the thru- hull, just past the gooseneck. The ends of the small tube are wrapped with the tape and then the larger, outer tube is clamped in place.
I guess a way to prove it , is simply run the heater with a carb monoxide monitor and if it doesnt whistle off ... everything is safe

View attachment 74933
Oh ya i love the look of those SS pipe supports those will make it a tidy installation I might have to order a pair of those. nice work, looks like you are collecting some good pieces to get this project underway. the heat shield is a clever idea as well , does it have an adhesive backing on it?

Back