Chilcotin Plateau lakes and Rivers

Courage146

Hello, I'm driving travelling the Bella Coola Loop this June. Where would you camp and fish if you had 4 or 5 nights between Williams Lake and Bella Coola?

ForeverAloneBlackTextSS.png

Somebody throw the guy a bone...

Can't say much except find a tackle store in Williams Lake, buy some gear and ask some questions.

The only river I have fished around there is the Bella Coola river at hagensburg,the Rip Rap campsite there is super clean ,showers , a few cabins and excellent hosts.I believe Puntzi lake is good but havn,t fished it personally.

That is why this place is SFBC and not SCBC....:D

Courage146... If I were you I would take a 4-5wt, an 8wt, a med action trout rod, and a 10'6 river rod....

And post some pictures of your venture.....

What he said ^^^^

Never done the loop but do know some people who travel to the Thompsoin river at that time for trout!

-KK

Huge dollies in the Chilcotin. They don't eat very well but some of them are as long as your arm. Too early for steel but there might be some early springs

Huge dollies in the Chilcotin. They don't eat very well but some of them are as long as your arm. Too early for steel but there might be some early springs

The few chinooks returning to the Chilcotin system are at the end of their careers... let them spawn.
Char encountered on the Chilcotin River and its few tributaries are Bull Trout, a predacious fish obviously adapted to this mostly glacial river. With virtually no stock assessment of this char population,anglers should always release these fish with care and respect.
Try fishing Raven and Palmer Lakes, or go off Highway 20 a bit to try Fletcher or Big Onion, Bluff, Sapeye and Horn and a gazillion more I won’t mention.
Chilcotin is huge and totally gorgeous and you really need a lot more than 5 days to see some of it, but enjoy what you can.

lived there out there for a few years, I have to agree with dave, fly fishing is the way to go I found! middle lake can produce as well, short 20min hike to head of the lake past gate rearly fished. Hope you have a car topper. enjoy! some beautiful country, some good lakes out nemia way too.

Will 2nd Dave...although it has been sometime, Bluff/Sapeye are fond memories. Staying in the Butler homestead cabin, running the boat up the creek from Bluff to Sapeye.... Trolling bluff with the view of Whitesaddle Mtn.

Thinking I need to get back up there.

Back