Chartplotter/Fishfinder/Transducer Question

advTHXance

So Ive got a Lowrance Elite-5 Chartplotter/Fishfinder, which normally gets double-duty as both a chartplotter and fishfinder because I dont care for the Garmin maps on my GPSmap very much. Im considering buying a Lowrance Elite-5x (just the fishfinder model) to free up the Elite-5 (chartplotter/fishfinder combo unit) for full-screen chartplotting.

My questions are: will the transducer I have currently installed be interchangeable between the two units, or will I have to run a 2nd transducer (and possibly different model/frequency to prevent distortion/interference) for the 2nd unit?

The simplest solution for me would be to wire in power for the 2nd unit, and swap the transducer over to the 2nd unit, leaving the 1st unit disconnected from the transducer as it will only be used for its chartplotting functions. I assume the GPS/chartplotting functions are independent from the transducers connectivity. Is this a viable solution?

This is also based on the assumption that the pin connectors are configured the same on both units for the transducer.

Thanks for any and all insight fellas. :)

i would opt for a elite Hdi 7 if you can find one better still 2 of them and then pair it up with a p66
run one chart one fishfinder if space allows
jumping to the 7's there is a difference in transducer plugs its the std blue 7 the 5's have the smaller blk plugs

Thanks for the replies guys!

Turns out the Elite-5x I was looking at had a different pin configuration for the transducer (smaller black plugs), so I ended up getting a Hook-5x instead (larger blue plugs). I just have to wire a 2nd power source and swap the transducer cable over to the Hook-5x and all should be good to go. Its a relief knowing I dont have to install another transducer or rewire my DSC connection to the VHF!

Back