Charter Guides follow the rules

B

bytherules

I heard on the radio yesterday which was caught by my video camera, A well know guide and outfit bragging about having snagged and kept a Hali.

I wont mention named but the person will know who it is.

The video clip with the call name of the company has been fowarded to DFO and the said it is as good as poaching

Ive snagged halis before and kept them... its not like I was trying to do it. And Im not bragging either. Whats your point "by the rules"? Do you have a snit on for someone?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Right on IFL....here is what the tidal regulations say (from the DFO Pacific web site--words bolded for emphasis)

It is illegal to:
wilfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish other than herring,
northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance and squid.

I would think it would be pretty tough to wilfully foul hook a hali!!

I think I hear somebody grinding an axe!

I think LC nailed it on the head.........

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Ya, I'm calling Bullsh!t on this troll too.

A guy bragging on the radio - that'll stand up in court!

Unless you were onboard his boat and saw with your own two eyes, then this is going nowhere, except to possibly shame and libel a fellow fisherman.

As has been noted, it would be awfully difficult to willfully snag a halibut at 200+ feet. Unless the guy is fishing with a dozen bare trebble hooks, I can't see it.

I too have snagged Halibut and kept them. They are going for the lure/bait and are just not very good at catching it the first time. If you have ever seen Charlie White's Halibut videos they make a run at it, miss, and take a minute or two to turn around and come back on the bait. If it hits the line or lure in the pass your instinct is to haul up hard on the rod and you now have a snagged Halibut.

I once got a double-header of Sockeye off the mouth of the Fraser. Trolling with standard pink hootchy/flasher rigs and both fish were snagged in the dorsal fin. Explaination is simple - they attacked the lure, missed it and as they passed the hook flipped over and thanks to sticky sharp hooks bit into the dorsal fin.

And damned right, I kept them! [:p]

Now, that said, deliberately snagging fish pooled up in a shallow river is an entirely different situation. :(

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Halibut often can lie on bottom on the hook. I have seen this a few times where the hooks can go in the belly and it just sucks.

Just for giggles and grins how does one seee that a few times ????are you down 200 ft with them ???LOL LOL

I have caught a few that are hooked on the top side bottom side the tail I dont think they are that smart they miss the bait and get hooked in current(or trolling) your gear is moving around and it gets hooked.
Years ago i got a halibut off of the tip of otter pt trolling for salmon , it was right in the middle of his belly 2 hours later a 68 lber was in the boat do you suppose he was trying to LIE down on the bait in 80 ft of water and gear at 50???:D:D:D:D

You guys are giving halibut a bit too much credit they are the ultimate predator they eat and eat thats all they do how do you think they get so big with that small gut.

Wolf

I haven"t noticed the differance in taste if caught or snagged.

B.B.

Freshwater reg's say if a fish is foul/hooked you must realease it. It doesn't state this in the saltwater reg's

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

quote:Originally posted by KCW

Freshwater reg's say if a fish is foul/hooked you must realease it. It doesn't state this in the saltwater reg's

...exactly stated in my original post - thank you for reiterating it.:) It is also why DFO has such a hard time dealing with foul hooked fish (ie; Salmon) in tidal estuaries. The angler is still legally allowed to keep a foul hooked fish in tidal water unless it was intentionally snagged.

R.

The fishing methods in freshwater streams and rivers should be changed to eliminate "flossing" and reduce leader lengths to less than 6 feet and regulate the "big jerking of the rods" so as to get the fish to "strike" the lure or bait. On the other hand, if they did this, the rivers would be barren from meathunters and many tackle shops would suffer financial hardship in reduced sales

Devil's Advocate or statement of truth?

I'd love to see how many people are on the Fraser River bars at Sockeye season with these changes....lol.

The only situation I could see someone intentionally foul hooking a fish in the chuck is bucktailing for coho. any others?

quote:Originally posted by bytherules

I heard on the radio yesterday which was caught by my video camera, A well know guide and outfit bragging about having snagged and kept a Hali.

I wont mention named but the person will know who it is.

The video clip with the call name of the company has been fowarded to DFO and the said it is as good as poaching

I guess you video taped the radio using the camera to record the sound : If that is the case

1) As I recall it is illegal to record a conversation if both parties being recorded don't know they are being recorded (At least one has to know to make it legal)

2)As I recall it may actually be illegal to pass on details of others conversations you hear on the VHF radio.

3)Nothing wrong with keeping a Halibut thats foul hooked

Think before you speak or act.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

The only situation I could see someone intentionally foul hooking a fish in the chuck is bucktailing for coho. any others?

Intentionally snagging by bucktailing ? hmmm, fast trolling a fly would be kind of hard to intentionally snag I'd think. The salmon usually comes up from below and behind following the fly and grabs it. Not sure what you are saying here.

Maybe one example of an answer to your question would be spin casting into a big school of pinks rolling on the surface. One could manage to intentionally snag in this situation. Can't think why a loser would ever want do this though. Pinks bite so well when they are schooled up.

Back