Charter Boat Insurance

vanisland

Hello all, I know there are a number of threads about insurance but haven't found one that is specifically for chartering. Im in the process of getting insurance for my boat along with coverage for guiding. Was surprised to find the cheapest my agent came up with was just under $1000.
Coverage is as follows:
Vessel Inc Main Motor-$20,000 Cost:450
2nd Motor $5000 Cost:100
Trailer $5000 Cost:50
Protection and liability 1mil Cost:250
Personal effects $2500 inc
Uninsured Boater 1mil inc
Policy fee $75
Total:$925

Restrictions are 20miles from shore.

Curious to know what other guides are paying for their insurance and what is covered? Cheers

boat gear and motors 120k, good to 150 miles off-2300.00/year i dont know all the beakdown that is basically it. they also based some voodoo math on how much gross sales i do with it...

Good for you getting it for that price ...... I couldn't do any better a few years back, about the same coverage but 2 Mil. Make sure all your other certs and requirements are in order and the Boat is all approved or some rich Eye Doctor from Germany will have your Bacon when he slams into the Radar arch loosing his own site. 1 Mil liability is not much coverage.

Insurance is one thing you don't cheap out on. Minimum 3 mil liability imo

Good for you getting it for that price ...... I couldn't do any better a few years back, about the same coverage but 2 Mil. Make sure all your other certs and requirements are in order and the Boat is all approved or some rich Eye Doctor from Germany will have your Bacon when he slams into the Radar arch loosing his own site. 1 Mil liability is not much coverage.

Thanks in advance. What other cents are required?

Med A 1 , 2, or 3. With 3 at least I have Med A 2, marine first aid, SVOP, VHF ROC, To name a few, then there's the boat, stability, electrical and fuel safety, fire safety, rail or gunnel height, seating, range of travel, life vests not PFD and registration, besides all the regular stuff. It's quite a haul of requirements to be a legitimate charter, doable but lots of hoops to jump through to be legal. Good luck to u .... Still lots of fly by nights out there that should not even be on the water. Be sure to do it right and get all your crest and boat passed.
Good luck to u

Base set of certs is 8 days of classroom training: SVOP (4 days), MEDA3 (1 day), Radio "ROC-M" (1 day), Marine Basic First Aid (2 days)...OR any other Worksafe approved first aid of 16 hours duration is also valid. Marine Basic comes with a TC certificate and a 5 year expiry, Worksafe courses (eg. Standard First Aid with CPR C or Level 1 with Transport Endorsement) come with 3 year expiry, so best to do the actual Marine Basic if you need to take a course.

Send me a PM if you need a hand with the stab test or other compliance boat items.

Back