Charlie

tubber

Charlie, thanks for all your research and knowledge. Keep it coming.
If I may offer a minor pointer, as I know you are a prolific writer here and elsewhere.

"If you use a colloquialism or a slang word or phrase, simply use it; do not draw attention to it by enclosing it in quotation marks."
(William Strunk and E.B. White, The Elements of Style)

I can also help with your jumpshot, discus throw, wrist shot, and curling delivery if you need it.

Maybe that's just his 'style'.

Yes Charlie.....your wealth of knowledge about areas "north of the ole 49th" are enlightening and very informative to this "hoser" and I am sure many more "hosers". It's great to see a "yankee" providing such great insight to our "salty brine" fishing areas and providing such great info about "tacklin" the "smileys, hali's" and other species that reside in the "saltchuck" up here. :D [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

Yes Charlie.....your wealth of knowledge about areas "north of the ole 49th" are enlightening and very informative to this "hoser" and I am sure many more "hosers". It's great to see a "yankee" providing such great insight to our "salty brine" fishing areas and providing such great info about "tacklin" the "smileys, hali's" and other species that reside in the "saltchuck" up here. :D [:p]

x2

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Hey Charlie ,Hope no offense is taken , we all really enjoy your participation on the board. Just a little Canuck humour!:D

I "think" he is "fishing" in a "short" opening for "American" origin "springers" that "Canadians" can target "365" days per year. Hope you get lots Charlie. :)

quote:Originally posted by tubber

I "think" he is "fishing" in a "short" opening for "American" origin "springers" that "Canadians" can target "365" days per year. Hope you get lots Charlie. :)
Sheesh, Yes, I was “very much” indeed fishing for a couple of days and comeback and find “Charlie” as a topic! No offense taken, I understand some of the challenges others partake!
icon_tongue.png

Tubber, you ever heard of a place called "Vernon Army Camp"? I have spent many a night there and a few them drinking ‘Moose Milk’! Also, used to set up a ‘fly-in fish camp’ and I have done quite a bit of fishing in those “high lakes” in Northern Jasper! Therefore, I am familiar with your part of the world and guess I can really appreciate the term used "hoser", probably more than most other “Yanks”!
lol.gif

It could also, and might explain the referral to ‘The Elements of Style, which “I” personally will/would never be using as any kind reference! There would be many critics on that one! “… and the result is a nation of educated people who know they feel vaguely anxious and insecure whenever they write 'however' or 'than me' or 'was' or 'which,' but can’t tell you why.” “… referring to it as “the book that ate American’s brain”. (Professor Geoffrey Pullum, Edinburgh University) The ‘Boston Globe’s review in 2005 - ‘Frankenstrunk’, "aging zombie of a book ... a hodgepodge, its now-antiquated pet peeves jostling for space with 1970s taboos and 1990s computer advice.” Maybe you should give that one a “proper burial at sea”!
kopfschuettel.gif

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/10/23/frankenstrunk/

Since you mentioned, I very much consider information written on this or any “forum” to be colloquial and appropriate for casual, ordinary, and informal use. I don’t believe this to be any type of “formal” writings or literature, or they? If so, it is not correct to use ‘3”’, , ‘targetting’,’ hijack’, ‘3 pros ‘, ‘Gulf of Georgia’, ‘7" #50’, etc (just name a few) used by “you”. Should one start critiquing thinks of that nature as well?
icon_cheers.png

Nevertheless, again… it would not be the first time I was wrong! I did not realize or know I was being critiqued on my glamour? I “promise”, I will try to do better. I just need know when one is going to be reading the replies or posts, prior to the analysis! Just to note - It is quite acceptable and common to use “quotation marks” to indicate or call attention words. If “anyone” were to check, there are many sources.
icon_lol.gif

Oh… there is another quote! Whose house is of glasse, must not throw stones at another.
[1640 G. Herbert Outlandish Proverbs no. 196]
4.gif

P.S. The last image, I "very much", stole from 'Nog'!

'Well done!'

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

You are indeed a good source of info and have made the forum better for that I THANK YOU for the help you have done us all. and if you ever find yourself in sooke let me know in advance and go for a fish......

Thanks again Wolf

Charlie , you ever think of immigrating to Canada, going into politics and becoming Fisheries Minister. We are hoping to have a vacancy there soon and it would be nice to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

Charlie , you ever think of immigrating to Canada, going into politics and becoming Fisheries Minister. We are hoping to have a vacancy there soon and it would be nice to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
Nay, as I would “NEVER” concede, agree, or accept Ottawa’s mandate concerning fish farms. Nor, Ottawa’s present position concerning "wild” salmon! Alex would be much better suited for that position!

I do appreciate the kind comments, thank you! [:I]

I never take offense! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that along with still appreciating one's individual handicaps and challenges! [:0]

In one word concerning the fishing (with three days of constant rain) it “SUCKED”! Guess I will just have to go try again? :D

charlie I was wondering if you could give us some back ground info. I know you live in washington state. ( don't have to ) just a thought to get to know you a bit more. try to get a mental picture of you. I picture a 70 years old guy with one of those captain hats smoking a pipe that hangs around the marina docks. just kidding and again thanks for your wealth of information, it's always informative

quote:Originally posted by spring time

charlie I was wondering if you could give us some back ground info. I know you live in washington state. ( don't have to ) just a thought to get to know you a bit more. try to get a mental picture of you. I picture a 70 years old guy with one of those captain hats smoking a pipe that hangs around the marina docks. just kidding and again thanks for your wealth of information, it's always informative
Yes, I can, but I need to think about that, everything is in prospective?
Are you referring to, Don’t have to give background info, or don’t have to live in Washington? :)

There are individuals running around this forum, which certainly do know my background. If I remember correctly – one might go by the name of ‘Mike’. I believe he has my BIO?

But, for those that don’t… I assure, I just did pass 60 (not 70), I don’t wear a ‘captain’s hat’ (I prefer my baseball cap – that is by far my favorite?? It is actually "my" hat - don't fu*k with it!) :)), I hate smoking a pipe, I don’t hang around any marina – at all, that equates to... way too many questions and way too much time spent helping ‘others’ working on their boats and not enough time ‘fishing’!

The best picture that discribes "me"... Nog got it right! This is kind of what I look like...
4.gif

Hi Charlie.

Again as the others said, thanks for all the info you've posted over the years. As a Canadian I feel we are privileged to have such a well informed American contributing to this forum. We could use a few more "Yanks" like you. Oops, sorry I couldn't resist adding the quotes.

Keep up the good work.

Back