CFR GL1 Mooching Reel?

Yeah I figure I would have heard more about it if was any good. It would be nice for when your fishing over 200 feet though lol

The 2:1 wind is an amazing innovation in a mooching reel. For the first time a mooching reel has a retrieval rate on par with level wind reels.

Most level wind reels are between 5-6/1 retrieve ratio

I would volunteer to test drive it. Might save some arm pump when the big one bolts to the boat, must be getting old

I actually have one on order based upon a recommendation from a buddy who has fished their fly fishing reels and raves about the craftsmanship. All the reels from this company are custom made. I liked the idea of a 2:1 retrieve on a mooching reel. Expensive but pretty similar to a TR3 reel and I am a complete gear ***** so I couldn't resist. It won't be arriving until April so I probably won't be able to fish it until June or July. I will post after it has hopefully reeled a few in.

I actually have one on order based upon a recommendation from a buddy who has fished their fly fishing reels and raves about the craftsmanship. All the reels from this company are custom made. I liked the idea of a 2:1 retrieve on a mooching reel. Expensive but pretty similar to a TR3 reel and I am a complete gear ***** so I couldn't resist. It won't be arriving until April so I probably won't be able to fish it until June or July. I will post after it has hopefully reeled a few in.
Thank you sir

Hey, any update on how the reel is performing for you? I too am curious!

So, here is my review on the CFR GL1 reel after using it on a few recent trips to Esperanza and Bamfield. It took a long time to get the reel but it is a small one man operation and all of their reels are custom. It was about $1000 so fairly comparable to a TR3 in price.

Reel is pretty good looking and the craftsmanship is pretty evident. As far as operation, it is actually a simple reel to use. Operates like any other single wind reel but the drag lever (not a dial like an Islander) is on the opposite side of the reel. Liked the clicker noise (reminds you of a Peetz) when line starts to peel.

For the most part, it is very similar to using an Islander with the exception that it picks up line twice as quick. It really takes some time to get used to. Almost felt clunky when trying to reel in line until your brain makes the connection that you don't have to reel as fast. And, when fishing a flasher, it is very evident as you can only reel in so fast due to the flasher drag.

The single advantage of the reel is its ability to pick up line quickly when a Spring is running at the boat. It allows you to keep a fish tighter much easier. The drag system is also very smooth and precise and won't birdsnest or creep like an MR3. I think that it would also feel better if you are fishing spoons, bait, or plugs without a flasher.

All that being said, I still prefer my TR3 at this stage. Probably due to just familiarity. I would take the CFR over the MR3 though. Going to keep fishing it and see if it become my favourite but I have a lot of muscle memory with Islander reels.

For someone newer to fishing Springs or once you get used to it, you would probably lose less fish due to your ability to pick up line quickly, and I think that once you get used to it, most people would be very happy.

So, here is my review on the CFR GL1 reel after using it on a few recent trips to Esperanza and Bamfield. It took a long time to get the reel but it is a small one man operation and all of their reels are custom. It was about $1000 so fairly comparable to a TR3 in price.

Reel is pretty good looking and the craftsmanship is pretty evident. As far as operation, it is actually a simple reel to use. Operates like any other single wind reel but the drag lever (not a dial like an Islander) is on the opposite side of the reel. Liked the clicker noise (reminds you of a Peetz) when line starts to peel.

For the most part, it is very similar to using an Islander with the exception that it picks up line twice as quick. It really takes some time to get used to. Almost felt clunky when trying to reel in line until your brain makes the connection that you don't have to reel as fast. And, when fishing a flasher, it is very evident as you can only reel in so fast due to the flasher drag.

The single advantage of the reel is its ability to pick up line quickly when a Spring is running at the boat. It allows you to keep a fish tighter much easier. The drag system is also very smooth and precise and won't birdsnest or creep like an MR3. I think that it would also feel better if you are fishing spoons, bait, or plugs without a flasher.

All that being said, I still prefer my TR3 at this stage. Probably due to just familiarity. I would take the CFR over the MR3 though. Going to keep fishing it and see if it become my favourite but I have a lot of muscle memory with Islander reels.

For someone newer to fishing Springs or once you get used to it, you would probably lose less fish due to your ability to pick up line quickly, and I think that once you get used to it, most people would be very happy.
Thanks for the review. Saw your boat in the sound, what a beauty!

Back