Cebtral Coast Expedition Part One

Sharphooks

CENTRAL COAST TRIP PART ONE

Just got back from my Central Coast expedition. I bit off almost two and a half weeks---I did so with much trepidation---boat camping in a small cramped cabin with a wet soggy dog can get old in a hurry, especially when the weather gets sucky.

The extra time paid off, though—got weathered in by gale force winds for 3 days early in the trip and by the time I got to the promised land I was happy I had the extra days still ahead of me.

Launched out of P. Hardy last week of July---the plan was to fish my way SLOWLY north

That paid off---I got some nice springs in all the likely spots around Cape Caution on the way north. Rivers appeared dead so that was the one place I did not fish---I heard springs were late and it was mainly a coho show-- coho are real low on my entertainment list so I grabbed gas at Duncanby and pointed north.

You can see I was loaded for bear--- fire wood and gas, making my boat look like a Jeb Clampett boat out of the Beverly Hillbillies. It even seemed to embarrass the dog to be riding in a rig with junk hanging off the side like that---witness her cringing :

Electronics---I was real glad I had the full suite of the good stuff. I basically powered my boat from Slingsby Channel to the north country in pea-soup fog. I never saw any land masses going around Cape Caution or across Smith Sound. Nothing going up Fitzgerald Channel, nothing We’re talking not being able to see the bow of your boat type fog. Hugely stressful avoiding logs, much less other boats. I’ll admit to developing a steamy relationship with my new Furuno UHD radar--- she was so exacting with target info and such an amazing nav device I almost took her into my sleeping bag each night to whisper sweet nothings into her magnetron...

Pretty amazing coming into Rivers in a blind fog and suddenly you see thirty red dots on the screen and know you’ve just stumbled into a fleet of lodge boats long before you see them.

I stuck in close to the kelp and bombed the faces of cliffs---rod in one hand, the other hand on the lever of my Scotty, I’d put the stern of my boat on the rocks in 10 feet of water, then edge off the shallows into the deep, dropping my ball down the face of the cliff.

Nice to have that 1 Kw Airmar transducer to produce a picture like that ---This was not only effective but pretty exciting---rod in hand, you get to feel the tap-tap-tap of the head shake and then the unreal power of a good solid take-down once the fish feels iron.

Nothing big, but at least I felt like I was learning a new spot. The evidence that it doesn’t get fished much? HUGE lings--- I think I got over 10 lings out of the kelp that were legal size.

Last edited:
CENTRAL COAST PART DEUX

I turned them all loose, except this one, who for some reason decided to swim into the prop of my kicker and commit suicide

So that felt good--- exploring water that looked promising, and finding a few nice springs for my efforts.

The next morning, full of high hopes, I fished my way around the Cape. Blunden, Indian Cove ---I don’t think there’s a more spectacular spot in QCS then Raynor Point---check out the rock formations!

Then here’s Wilkie coming through a fog bank---lots of nice visuals that morning, piles of whales and dolphins and moody fog, but no springs!

Finally bumped into to Mackai Ian just north of Slingsby. Heard talk of a few fish but mostly BIG fish ---I like that kind of talk so I gave it a quick shot. Boom—a nice tyee which got the wood shampoo, then I had the good fortune of hooking another almost immediately after getting my gear back in the water. It made one huge run, then turned, came at me full bore, then launched itself at least 6 feet into the air and spat the hook into my face. All this under brilliant sunshine, glinty diamonds everywhere, not a breath of wind….spectacular day. Right then and there I decided to call the trip a trip--- What better way to punctuate the end of a fantastic trip with the memory of a big spring hanging in the air like that? I'll remember that fish way longer then the ones in my cooler.

And last but not least, I have to throw in pix of these camping spots--- what an incredible part of the world---you'd think you were in Tahiti!!!

Last edited:
Great pictures from what sounds like a great trip. It makes me regret not making it up to Cultus Sound and Spider this year. There are some truly great places to fish where there are not many people. Was Cultus really crowded? It has gotten busier and busier every year that I have gone up there.

Amazing read! I really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing! I had a pink swim into the kicker prop and get caught between the gaurd and prop. It sure was a weird sight!

Cheers KK

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I really enjoyed it. Someday going to visit these places.

Thanks for taking us along!!!

Amazing country, great fishing and some of the wildest places on earth. I sure miss it.

Again thanks.

Cheers

SS

Nominated for Coolest Pic-of-the-Year! :cool:

IMG-20130729-00543.jpg

Awesome report as always Sharphooks! I'm still up working in that neck of the woods.... Torture not being able to fish.

I saw a black Grady, with a neat looking pilot house heading out the other day as well.... Report and pictures from that rig should just be added in this thread :cool:

Sharphooks,

Spectacular post and EPIC adventure. Not a lot of us take these kinds of adventures. It was great seeing you up there in your element enjoying such an amazing place. We had a fantastic trip, some beauty fish and a whole lot of fun.

Safe Travels,

Back