Catching herring with cast net? News/details on spawn observations?

oronito

Live in Vancouver now, used to catch herring while they spawned off docks of San Francisco--easy to reach!

I'd love to get at it again but throwing a cast net from shore or my SUP means I need them to be spawning to have a chance..and travel far...

Any suggestions on where this might be accomplished?
My friends have a cabin on Denman but hard to get up-to-date info and spur-of-the-moment trip if I got word that the spawn in on!

Any suggestions welcome!!!

Pretty sure you are not allieee to use a cast net. Hooks and dip net only. Gillnet may be used for smelt but not herring. May want to double check.

Cast nets are legal:Screenshot_20240301_140610_FishingBC.jpg

I have
I had just checked it at lunch! Looks like around Denman to Comox is the ticket this weekend/week

I’ll be heading up, with my dingy and herring jig. Does Trotac or Harbour chandlers have throw nets? I double cablas would here?
I have an 8 foot cast net that has caught many herring! and indeed they ARE legal for herring, NOT legal for smelt.

Problem is it won't catch fish deeper than 10 feet so really need them spawning to get a bucket full...

It's also far and expensive for me--and the other opportunity for me this week is gunning it in the car south and cathcing eulachon in Southern WA on Tuesday

I'd love to jump in a dingy to catch herring, though!! Did you make it up there?!?! Any luck?!?!

I have

I have an 8 foot cast net that has caught many herring! and indeed they ARE legal for herring, NOT legal for smelt.

Problem is it won't catch fish deeper than 10 feet so really need them spawning to get a bucket full...

It's also far and expensive for me--and the other opportunity for me this week is gunning it in the car south and cathcing eulachon in Southern WA on Tuesday

I'd love to jump in a dingy to catch herring, though!! Did you make it up there?!?! Any luck?!?!
Was a little early, siegners were moving around but no real signs near shore that we were able to spot. Spent time with family, fixed a toilet and made some progress on the new to me boat. Herring have come into puget sound just off Seattle in recent years…. You should be able to shore cast or paddle board to catch them if nd when they spawn

I have

Im in Mexico and have been watching the guys using them and was thinking of bringing one back. Why wont they work any deeper than 10 feet.
Thanks

Thank you for directing me to this very informative video! I too have struggled with the technique for throwing an 8 foot cast net. The problem now is obvious. My Swimsuit does not ride up high enough on my buttocks!!

What's that you say? This is a family show and I will get arrested in public wearing something like that?

Drewski

Im in Mexico and have been watching the guys using them and was thinking of bringing one back. Why wont they work any deeper than 10 feet.
Thanks
Lead line is only about 10 foot long which governs how deep the net can sink before it is pulled close by the line that threads on the outside of the net.

Drewski

Went to Nanaimo today with kids. Jigged for herring from shore to no avail. Wonder if we’ve missed the run or still early.

Back