Catch of the Day

good job, I see you have climbed to the top of the board. Nice work keep it up.

Kunni

good job, I see you have climbed to the top of the board. Nice work keep it up.

Kunni

Thanks, it's gonna be a neck & neck race to the finish me thinks !
I appreciate the contest but I do hope they change it next year and keep it simple cause this hauling in all your fish is not as easy as it sounds and it is very frustrating at times.
If it gets changed to the same standards as the other leader boards(Only bring in your biggest fish) then I would do it again but if it's a cull(bring in all your fish you catch/combined weight) then I will pass and just enjoy catch & release next year. So far there is only what ...100 fish brought in, and half of those are from only 2 guys...not gonna make a dent in a population that likely is in the 6 digit range. Keep it simple, keep it fun, once 1 or 2 guys are out ahead everybody gives up and goes back to trout fishing :p
I'm still having fun though :)

Dont give up your doing a great job getting rid of those buggers!

As for the lake. Quam was a bust yesterday and Langford today was great until the wind came up. Biggest 19" all caught mid water on Red/Gold micro leeches

-KK

Langford today. Tried double anchoring for the first time and love it! Fished black UV micro leeches on sinking line. 18-26ft deep in 50 ft of water. over 100 takes 30+ to hand biggest was 23.5" and FAT! Not able to get a pick jumped from my Dads hands into the water at the last second! Many 6-7 over 18" It was a blast!

-KK

Fished couple hours on friday evening between the downpours. Fish a little more locked mouth than Thursday but still a few. Nothing big in mid water but worked a gomphus in about 30ft at the bottom and picked up a very fat 22". Throat full of red & green bloodworms, must have thought he needed desert.
Biaka

Fished couple hours on friday evening between the downpours. Fish a little more locked mouth than Thursday but still a few. Nothing big in mid water but worked a gomphus in about 30ft at the bottom and picked up a very fat 22". Throat full of red & green bloodworms, must have thought he needed desert.
Biaka

nice I missed this weekend fishing, I am hoping to get out this weekend. What is a gomphus??

Kunni

Okay that's it! i am coming home on the 1st and i am thinking about making a trip down to langford the land of the fat rainbows.... Never fished this lake before any pointer would be good, going to try and row around and see if i can catch a lunker trout..

Okay that's it! i am coming home on the 1st and i am thinking about making a trip down to langford the land of the fat rainbows.... Never fished this lake before any pointer would be good, going to try and row around and see if i can catch a lunker trout..

I am off on the 5th or 6th, I just order a new 9 ft 5 wt buelah fly rod, it will be here by then and I am looking forward to fishing it. If you wre going to go to langford I will be there over the first weekend of october. If you interested we can trade some patterns and hopefully hammer some trout.

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at langford yesterday for a few hours. Anchored up off the end off the weedbed and nailed 17 trout 5 bass and 15 perch all on the fly and on micro leeches! Pumped olive breen butt with red body chironomids! Size 12's Then later in the day around 2ish we pumped size 10 icecream-cones (Black/white) Gotta start tying again.

Biggest trout was just over 20" and a few more around 18" aswell!

-KK

I am off on the 5th or 6th, I just order a new 9 ft 5 wt buelah fly rod, it will be here by then and I am looking forward to fishing it. If you wre going to go to langford I will be there over the first weekend of october. If you interested we can trade some patterns and hopefully hammer some trout.

Kunni
I will try n shoot for then Kunni, home on the first for a week :)

Kunni, I finally found a use for my Biology 101 class from 30 years ago, Gomphus or Dragonfly nymph, some great patterns out there. They look much lighter colored when they moult. More often they are a darker olive green-brown from the ones I have seen. Biaka

Smashed my biggest freshwater fish by nearly 3lbs ! this is now my biggest carp to date. Got 'em Thursday morning, hand landed it on the rocks off the wall.
Official weight is 14.2 pounds, that is the biggest carp weighed in thus far.

Got an underwater cam so I'm putting that to work now too !

[B_Vwb2GO-j4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Vwb2GO-j4&

Smashed my biggest freshwater fish by nearly 3lbs ! this is now my biggest carp to date. Got 'em Thursday morning, hand landed it on the rocks off the wall.
Official weight is 14.2 pounds, that is the biggest carp weighed in thus far.

Got an underwater cam so I'm putting that to work now too !

[B_Vwb2GO-j4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Vwb2GO-j4&

Awesome I love the videos! Thats an absolutely huge fish, considering that my biggest bow was a tad over 7lbs, 14.2 is out of a lake is almost scary, the thing could take down a small child. I would loved to have seen what was in that things stomach. Supposedly a fly fisherman caught a carp around 8 pounds while dangling a chironomid at elk.

Thats going to put some distance between you and second place!

Kunni

Got out to hit the hammer time before the storm. Yes they do go crazy before a big low hits! And the big boys were eating yesterday. Dad and I went and tried a new anchor spot after sighting a few big bows crusing near the surface. Out came the anchors and on went the sounder! Oh hey looks like they are crusing at 13 ft.

Indicator on one rod and hanging the other. Black UV micro leeches were on fire. With a size 12 2Heavy 3Xlong hook tied very sparse with red wire wrap.

Thing started out with just a nibble here and a perch there. THen my Dads rod bends down and he sets the hook. Out of the water flies a nice little smallie. Guess they like micro leeches too ;)

After being anchored for about 2 hours. We marked a few big boys coming into the sounder and then the all hell broke loose. We landed 15 trout and lost another 10 in the next 3 hours. Another nice smallie in the mix aswell. The final two fish were an hour before dark sitting my leech just a foot off bottom in 28 ft of water. First one grabbed the leech and went right under the boat I thought I was going to loose it on the anchor line and then to my relief came right back out from under the boat and into the net my Dad had waiting. A solid 20" bow. Back she went. Then I re-set my leech and waited. I saw a huge fish come into the fish finder right near the bottom. I stuck around for a minute then I saw it come up about a foot and then back down to the bottom. Little did I know my rod tip had sunk about 5" while I was to busy watching the video screen. I noticed the tension and liften up. The reel exploded and line was peeling out. I knew it was bigger then the 20" I had just caught. It went right for the anchor line and I had the rod tip down in the water trying not to loose the fish. When I finally got it out of the anchor and the rod tip back out of the water I noticed the tip was broke right off the rod :( Oh no now ive got my biggest langford bow on the line and a broken rod (Mikes rod not mine, which I will be replacing this weekend).

The fish came up to the top after 5 minutes of battle and layed on it side to show us its nice pink bar along its side and to say "Hey look at me im healthy as can be" And with a tail slap on the water it took me to withing a few wraps of fly line once again. Wow what a hog! Then I got my line back and she came up to the boat and into the net! Wow what a night! I was shaking for nearly 15 minutes after! It was equally as exciting as a battle with a big chinook salmon on the ocean or even a big coho on the fly. These fish fight hard and love anchor lines!

Cheers KK!

Got out to hit the hammer time before the storm. Yes they do go crazy before a big low hits! And the big boys were eating yesterday. Dad and I went and tried a new anchor spot after sighting a few big bows crusing near the surface. Out came the anchors and on went the sounder! Oh hey looks like they are crusing at 13 ft.

Indicator on one rod and hanging the other. Black UV micro leeches were on fire. With a size 12 2Heavy 3Xlong hook tied very sparse with red wire wrap.

Thing started out with just a nibble here and a perch there. THen my Dads rod bends down and he sets the hook. Out of the water flies a nice little smallie. Guess they like micro leeches too ;)

After being anchored for about 2 hours. We marked a few big boys coming into the sounder and then the all hell broke loose. We landed 15 trout and lost another 10 in the next 3 hours. Another nice smallie in the mix aswell. The final two fish were an hour before dark sitting my leech just a foot off bottom in 28 ft of water. First one grabbed the leech and went right under the boat I thought I was going to loose it on the anchor line and then to my relief came right back out from under the boat and into the net my Dad had waiting. A solid 20" bow. Back she went. Then I re-set my leech and waited. I saw a huge fish come into the fish finder right near the bottom. I stuck around for a minute then I saw it come up about a foot and then back down to the bottom. Little did I know my rod tip had sunk about 5" while I was to busy watching the video screen. I noticed the tension and liften up. The reel exploded and line was peeling out. I knew it was bigger then the 20" I had just caught. It went right for the anchor line and I had the rod tip down in the water trying not to loose the fish. When I finally got it out of the anchor and the rod tip back out of the water I noticed the tip was broke right off the rod :( Oh no now ive got my biggest langford bow on the line and a broken rod (Mikes rod not mine, which I will be replacing this weekend).

The fish came up to the top after 5 minutes of battle and layed on it side to show us its nice pink bar along its side and to say "Hey look at me im healthy as can be" And with a tail slap on the water it took me to withing a few wraps of fly line once again. Wow what a hog! Then I got my line back and she came up to the boat and into the net! Wow what a night! I was shaking for nearly 15 minutes after! It was equally as exciting as a battle with a big chinook salmon on the ocean or even a big coho on the fly. These fish fight hard and love anchor lines!

Cheers KK!

Great job!! Did you try chironomids? Seems like micro leeches have been the go to lately. I havent been out in a couple of weeks, but will be heading out next weekend

Kunni

Im going to tie chroni's with the same materials as the leeches and try them next time! I will most likly be onto coho's by next weekend. But you never know maybe I will do coho in the AM and Trout in the PM. I LOVE where we live!

-KK

Back