Cannon vs Scotty downriggers.

oilslick

Don’t know if this is the right area to post this but I’m looking for some feedback on the above topic.
Was at the boat show yesterday drooling over the Cannon digi 10 downriggers that have several different options on them.
Besides price and probably lack of maintenance dealers does anyone have any feedback on the comparison.
I love the Scotty’s HP’s but Cannon looks like they have put a lot of work into these new DR. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Never used Cannon and never will consider any DR other than Scotty. Great local company, excellent QA/QC on all their products, good customer service. Scotty products are custom designed and manufactured to fit our north west fishing needs.

I’d keep the money in our local economy and enjoy a quality product and excellent after sales service.

Scotty man all the way. Easy maintenance, quality product and most important Canadian made. Love all the Scotty products damn good quality equipment. If I bought a boat with cannon on it I’d pull them, sell em cheap on Craig’s just because and put on some real equipment. Just the profile alone on the scotty’s is a seller for me. I hate bulk and stuff in the way, nice and neet and tidy that’s my game. Look at their trap puller as well, nice net package not something that takes up half the deck space on a boat.

I have Cannon's and Scotty's. One Scotty on each of my back corners and cannon's about four feet up the gunnel on each side. They are both great products...but Scotty is in our backyard with quick turn around time and awesome service and great problem solvers. I have always been a Scotty fan, mostly because of my experience as a kid going down to the original shop and hanging out a bit. It was fun. Because I am so tied up in my tackle making hobby and just fishing in general, as well as ebikes...I don't see a need to upgrade or replace any yet. If I save for a bit maybe, but that is low on my priority list at the moment. How ever you look at it, they both have quirks and pluses. I do lean more toward Scotty though. :)
I might be a little partial to Scotty on this one but i did grow up fishing with my dad in CR , hand crank scottys were the only thing to be had back then, with the old style pin release clips. I have never used a Cannon dowrigger would love to try them sometime but who services them ? Parts n service is important and for that Scotty will always be leading the field . With customer service unparalleled by any other deepline manufacturer.

Scotty’s after sales service is unbeatable.

Have used both, And they are both great. But I would have to go with the scotty product. I have had a couple small parts on my scottys that needed replaced and I have never spent a dime to fix em. Great product and super customer service will keep me a scotty guy.

One of the guides out of Howe sound uses cannons, they are pretty tech and hook into his electronics I believe they can change depth automatically are really cover the water column. Interesting. I myself love the service we get from Scotty so I’m all Scotty.

Have used both, and they are both great. But I would have to go with the scotty product. I have had a couple small parts on my scottys that needed replaced and I have never spent a dime to fix em. Great product and super customer service will keep me a scotty guy.
Cannon downriggers are owned by Johnson Outdoors; an American company that also owns brands Minn Kota, Hummingbird, Scubapro, Eureka, Jetboil, Old Town Canoe & Ocean Kayak. All American but mainly offshore designed and made.

Scotty Dowriggers are manufactured on the island in Sidney, BC, using 99% personally manufactured parts and then supporting North American manufactured additional raw parts (light for Sea-Lights, counters, etc., that they still help design.) Tested in BC, Made in Canada from start to finished and all under one large roof. Plus most gear is backed by a limited Lifetime Warranty to boot.

Always used scotty, easy maintenance, most always worked. The 2 lake trolls I bought last year for the Lund are junk, wobble and dam hard to crank up with 3 lb balls. Hence replaced with the old saltairs. Friends in Ont swear by their cannons as we do here for Scotty's. It is amazing to see the cannons track bottom, automatic up/down and then jig mode. Never seen that on a scotty. I will vote for scotty, because for me they have lasted in the saltchuck with my abuse and lack of cleaning/attention. Cant say the same for many other things.

HM

I've never used Cannons but my Scotty's work great. When I take them in for repairs or maintenance, I'm honest and tell them I am not the original owner, but they still never charge me for anything beyond downrigger cable. That kind of customer service just can't be matched let alone beat.

Scotty’s after sales service is unbeatable.
Perhaps, but Scotty’s are so easy to service *on the water* that I’ve never had to call them. Any product that doesn’t need an owners manual or repair manual is worth my investment.

Parts are super cheap, not an ink jet printer racket.

Such a simple and effective piece of equipment.

Perhaps, but Scotty’s are so easy to service *on the water* that I’ve never had to call them. Any product that doesn’t need an owners manual or repair manual is worth my investment.

Parts are super cheap, not an ink jet printer racket.

Such a simple and effective piece of equipment.
Agree but I also take mine in for an annual tuneup, to be respooled etc. Always found their service excellent and have had them replace worn parts at no charge during the free annual servicing.

Love my Scotty's but can certainly see the advantages of the Cannon's that track bottom and adjust so your alway's 5-10 ft. off bottom,no more bouncing bottom or adjusting for blow back.

The boat I bought several years ago had Cannons on it. Used them for two seasons and switched to Scottys. One major positive feature of the Cannons was the fact that they were direct drive - i.e. no belts. Two significant disadvantages, however, because of their auto stop mechanism. This mechanism operates via a current that is passed through the stainless steel line. When the line comes up out of the water, the riggers shut off. This means that you cannot use braided line. It also means that you can't stack rods unless you're really paying attention when the upper clip comes out of the water to be able to manually stop the rigger to remove the clip as the Auto stop will only work when the steel line breaks the water.

I used the Canon Mag 10 STX for 3 seasons. I loved a lot about them. They are much smoother on the descent as they use power on the way down. Very slick. What I hated was the constant backlash that I would get with the wire. If I didn’t turn the rigger to the back before winding it there would always be backlash. I looked at getting the Digi-Troll version that doesn’t rely on the current to stop the auto-up but they are $1800 each. Over double a Scotty HP. If it were $1000 I would have bit because the operation of them is just so smooth. They too have lifetime warranties and if you are in the Comox area there is a Cannon service centre. Anyway that’s my .02.

WW

Back