Can anyone ID this rod holder?

My father bought this rod holder the other day at a garage sale for 1$. I have never seen one like this before and it looks like it may be a classic. It is made out of solid steel, its super solid and actually works very well.... kind of like a Scotty Orca. You can just set the rod in and when you have a hit you can just lift the rod out. You can swivel it, tilt it and set it to any angle. No brand name whatsoever. Just wondering if anyone out there can ID it.
This is my first time posting a pic so I hope this works.
Cheers

Jan122012017.jpg

Jan122012036.jpg

Jan122012022.jpg

Jan122012021.jpg

Very cool old holder, love the C clamp !! Did you know there is a purple Sasquatch in the window/mirror of the second pic?

I used them in the seventies to hold my bucktailing rods because conventional bent wire rod holders didn't work as well with the short fighting butts that we guides added to flyrod blanks. They were amazingly effective because you could set your rod in any of a half dozen positions but they were murder on cork handles and the brass bar that triggers the release action would often break if too much force was used.

Don't quote me on this but i think Bob Cole in Port Alberni was involved in the creation of them. The only time i have seen them was when i fished on his small rig for trout. He had previously mentioned that he created a rod holder that was the fundamental idea for the Orca rod holders.

It's a down Easter, first built in the 50's back east, made of pot metal, I believe
Stosh

Then I'm way off. The one i saw had a different attachment but same idea of lifting to open, with near identical rod holder portion. Cool find. Would be great on the lake.

I know they go back to the 70's at least. One of the highliners here in Sooke used them for years back then. I like them but was just a kid back then without a lot of money for upgrades...had to make to with the bent under and over types of the era.

I had one with the double clamps.

Bob had nothing to do with the rod holder pictured,and FOLBE was well before the SCOTTY Orca!

DHA.

I have the tubes on the booms but don't use them anymore. Way prefer the Orca, faster out of the holder, lifting straight up. I was tired of knocking off the rubber plugs on the end of the rod as they rubbed coming out of the tubes. The rods I'm using now only have a 6" butt section and there is not enough rod in the tube holder. The Orca supports the rod in front of the reel and behind it. I don't use them for hali fishing...use the striker's for that.

BTW that old rod holder did work slick...just like the Orca.

FOLBE is the BOMB! Forget anything else...nothing matches FOLBE!

DHA.

@Sculpin

As a person who works at a retail store who used to have access to folbe and no longer sells them or can not easily access them...I would not fish with anything else! Folbe is the only rod holder I would ever use period!. For $49 what else could even come close - NOTHING!

DHA.

I used to sell Folbe products-cheapo Scotty imitations of the lowest order-POFS isn't too strong a term.

I used to sell Folbe products-cheapo Scotty imitations of the lowest order-POFS isn't too strong a term.

"I used to sell" , just like I used to sell, but more recent than when you used to sell...Hhmmm. :)

FOLBE Rocks!

DHA.

Still got a pair of them up at my dads place. My dad and I used those on our tinny lake fishing many years there sitting in the shop collecting dust... LOL I think it is more in the 60s then 70s they were made cause Dad never got any thing "new" back then, As i was born in the 60s (man that sounds scary) LOL

Good luck on your find cool old school finds are neat!!!

Wolf

Back