Campion 542 Porposing

roadking

Hello experts!

We have a new to us Campion 542 with Etec G2 150hp, 15x18 4 blade prop, 9.9 kicker on the back (2018). We’ve been doing some shakedown cruises on OK lake lately - with smaller loads (2-3 adults) she’s fine, but today we loaded it up with 4 adults and 3 kids and had steady porposing. I’d love some schooling on ways to combat. Trim tabs? Trimming the main a certain way? Playing around with trim and rpms didn’t seem to make much difference. Thanks in advance!

Hello experts!

We have a new to us Campion 542 with Etec G2 150hp, 15x18 4 blade prop, 9.9 kicker on the back (2018). We’ve been doing some shakedown cruises on OK lake lately - with smaller loads (2-3 adults) she’s fine, but today we loaded it up with 4 adults and 3 kids and had steady porposing. I’d love some schooling on ways to combat. Trim tabs? Trimming the main a certain way? Playing around with trim and rpms didn’t seem to make much difference. Thanks in advance!
I had the same issue when I first got my 542. Trim tabs definitely completely eliminated the issue but I've played around alot with the engine trim with the tabs completely retracted and can get somewhat similar results.. I find the boat is very sensitive to not trimming the engine up more than a few degrees unless your going 30mph or faster..

Hello experts!

Check the height of your engine. It’s probably too low is my guess.

Different prop will fix porpoise issues. Look for stern lifting props, yours is a bow lifter.

Back