Camping on Vancouver Island

Nigels

We want to spend 3-4 weeks touring Vancouver Island, last two weeks of August and first two weeks of September.

We have a Fifth Wheel so the boat has to stay at home, ;-( do we need to make reservations for Provincial parks or commercial campgrounds or at this time of year can we just take a chance?

We want to see as much of the island as possible so any recomendations for campgrounds places to visit greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
We want to spend 3-4 weeks touring Vancouver Island, last two weeks of August and first two weeks of September.

We have a Fifth Wheel so the boat has to stay at home, ;-( do we need to make reservations for Provincial parks or commercial campgrounds or at this time of year can we just take a chance?

We want to see as much of the island as possible so any recomendations for campgrounds places to visit greatly appreciated.

I'd definitely reserve your weekends at campgrounds. Weekdays you may be able to get away with not booking. Here in Victoria, you could go to Pedder Bay campground. There's a lake within walking distance and not far from east sooke trails. Ukee/tofino a must.

Definately reserve the weekends in Aug.
I find that last half of Aug it really starts to thin out with families getting the kids ready to go back to school.
September should be fine but do reserve the Labour Day long weekend.

good suggestions as above -

our faves include Green Point or MacKenzie Beach in Tofino, Sproat Lake, Gordon Bay on Lake Cowichan, and Loveland Bay on Campbell Lake.

Rebecca spit.. We wai kai... On quadra

Thanks guys this is all great information and will help us on our way.

Tight lines!

I would definitely do Ucluelet and Tofino. You could leave the trailer as far back as Parksville and make a day trip out of it. All of the suggestions above are great.

Thats a long way to go for a day trip. I would take trailer so you have option of staying. Depending on how big it is there is lots of free camping if your into 15-30 min on logging road around kennady lake. If you were going one night theres a few rv places all about 45 a night (i couldnt believe it but that may be good by mainland standards) closer in town would worth it. Could do the day trip in to the hotsprings. You have to pay as it take a hour boat ride in. I dont find theres much do in ukee or tofino. Other then if your camping and fishing. Esp for there for the amount of time it takes to get there. Unless is to surf or sit on walk and play on the beach all day. I would stay for a night. Thats just me so people just like driving, seeing, going. I cant remeber how long you said you had. If you want a big beach Rathtrever is big. Saratgoa is nice white sand and warm water if its warm out. Its really hard suggesting what to see when you dont what people are into.

edit i see 3-4 weeks. Ya dont need to rush in a day trip. Also would pick saratgoa over miracle. I drove threw once and it was dark woodys camping, neat but big. Place beside Taylors Sandy beach resort has rv spots and is right on beach. Can go for day trip and check out campbell river. You hopfully should have hot weather. Those are usually some of the busiest times for camping on the island. If you find a nice place free on wed or thursday you might want to wait until sunday to uproot as finding places on a friday and Saturday can be hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saratoga and Miracle are side by side you can visit both at the same time. Also, Kitty Coleman and Seal Bay are another two great places to visit, stay, camp in the Courtney area.

I'd definitely reserve your weekends at campgrounds. Weekdays you may be able to get away with not booking. Here in Victoria, you could go to Pedder Bay campground. There's a lake within walking distance and not far from east sooke trails. Ukee/tofino a must.

We are into our 3rd week here on the Island and are at Pedder Bay, good recomendation Dave, thanks, just wish I had the boat here as well! This is by far the nicest campground we have seen in a long while. Thumbs up!

You could rent one there

Back