Campfire Gulf Islands

BearCove

Crew Member
Hey guys,

New to the South Island and have one of my boats out near Sydney. I have done a bit of boating with the family throughout the gulf islands this last week. Made our way to the shore on many of the islands but all of them have full time campfire bans.

Looking for somewhere where we can anchor up, go ashore, have a fire with the kids, maybe camp onshore instead of the boat.

Will be launching out of Sydney for the most part. Any insight or places would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bear Cove... I don't think you will find a place for a fire on the southern gulf islands. They are so dry that any fire could cover the island in no time. The parks guys are very vigilant as well, so its likely you will get caught if you tried to sneak one. As for spots to go ashore, Portland Island has some nice sandy beaches and exploring Darcey Island is pretty nice. There is also Cabbage Islet off of the south end of Saturna. There are really too many to list, but those are some that we enjoy.

This is from Montague Campground.

Mooring (to buoy) Fee: $12.00 per vessel / night

campfires.gif
Campfires

This park has campfire time restrictions:
Cooking fires are allowed from 7:00 am – 9:00 am; 11:00 am – 1:00 pm; and 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Small campfires are permitted after 7:00 pm. These restrictions will improve air quality and firewood conservation while still permitting fires. Visitors must use campfire rings, which are provided at each campsite. Limited burning hours or campfire bans may be implemented.

During the camping season, firewood can be purchased from the Park Facility Operator. Fees for firewood are set locally and may vary. To preserve vegetation and ground cover, please don’t gather firewood from the area around your campsite or elsewhere in the park. Dead wood is an important habitat element for many plants and animals and it adds organic matter to the soil. You can conserve firewood and air quality by keeping your campfire small.

There are maps of all campsites thru the Gulf Islands so you could check on them.

Look in the top right of this page and you can search by area....then click on the spots and see.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

I am sure in some spots like the aforementioned Cabbage Islets and other spots like that you may be okay in winter. I don't see any region wide campfire bans.

Thanks for the info crew, much appreciated for sure. Pippen, just checked out Montague Campground, looks like exactly what we need. I will be giving them an email to see if what I am reading is still whats happening there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys.

Cheers

You should look south of the border at the San Juan Islands for fire. The last time I went there with the family most of the San Juan Island parks had fire pits to use. Just clear customs first. Roche Harbour being the easiest place. Jones Island was our favourite.

Craven,

Yes, have relocated, sort of. The family and I moved to Victoria, View Royal area in December. Still have the resort in Hardy, have a management team in place up there. Was time for all of us to take the leap, few more benefits for all of us down here.

I will be heading up for the summer session end of May, rest of the crew will come up after school is out. No plans on doing any fishing business down here, have a few other things going on here though.

That being said, if anyone is in need of a guide or a fishing partner mid Sept through May, let me know.

Again, thanks for the local knowledge, much appreciated. Sure enjoying the area. Looking forward to dragging hooks in the Saanich Derby Saturday

Cheers

Yep fires are allowed on all the marine state parks in the San Juan Islands. Jones as mentioned is great. Prevost harbor on Stuart Island is also great and closer to home for you on the return. IMG_20120428_192432.jpg

San Juans look great to and just as close, bit cheaper beer too! Assuming that when you clear customs by boat is the same as by land? Everyone is going to need a Passport?

Cheers

Well your Countrymen can better answer that but going into Canada from US we have several options including passports, enhanced drivers license, and Nexus card. I am sure you would have options for your family coming to US as well but you all do need some form of acceptable I.d. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
If going to San Juan's you will all need passports. Arriving in the US, there are US Customs sites in Friday Harbor and Roche. If you are going to Stuart Island, I think you will have to first have to take a detour and check-in a Roche Harbor, before landing on Stuart. On the way back there are a number of Canadian Customs telephone reporting sites around Sydney:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/provinces/bc-eng.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if all occupants of your vessel have valid Nexus cards you can just radio your cross border business via VHF, and once customs confirms the Nexus cards you are free to move on without entering a customs port.
But again, I could be wrong but that is what I have heard/read.

If you have kids and they take take a friend along down across the border make sure you have a letter from the parents allowing you. Even better if the letter is notarized. Roche Harboy is the easiest place to clear customs. FYI it is Sidney with and "i" not a "y", watch out for auto correct.

Pippen,

Thanks for the heads up on Montague Campground on Galiano, went there yesterday with family and friends, awesome spot! All the sites are set up with bbq's and fire pits, great beach walking, forests the full deal, we all had a blast. Best part was we had the whole place to ourselves. I sure that won't happen all the time but was perfect for us.

Thanks again for all the info guys, really enjoying checking out this area

Cool! As I said check out some of the other sites on the BC Parks website...a lot of great spots in the Islands.

Back