Bunks or rollers?

Update...
So this took a while as I had some hick ups along the way.

After doing some research through this thread, going to a couple of dealers and calling Road Runner, I ordered the 2450 Roadrunner Hybrid Trailer.
No one stocks anything but bunk trailers it seems so I had to order.

Took about 1 1/2 weeks to arrive.
When I went to switch the trailers I found that the new trailer roller configuration would not fit my boat. No matter how I adjusted, a roller would sit on a rib.
So hauled back on old trailer and called the shop I ordered from. They called Road Runner and got the response "Oh, those old Double Eagle Hulls. They are the only ones we have ever had issue with"
*Now this was frustrating as I had told the dealer and Road Runner when I called to find out which trailer they recommend for my boat, the year and Brand of my boat.
They made me new roller arms that were wider and matched my old trailer roller spacing.
2 weeks later (they had to machine and galvanize) I received the new parts. I went to switch the roller arms which is only one bolt and the new parts had been made with a hole that was too small for the bolt!
Now I'm getting angry as I had to arrange a friend to help trailer the second trailer each time.
Went back to the dealer and they drilled out the holes and spray galvanized the holes multiple times which took a few more days.

Finally got it all together and boat fits after a few adjustments.
I have launched twice now. Sidney and Sunny Shores.
Bunk Roller system seems to work well. Boat lines up easy and comes off like a hot potato.

My summary review...

*Hybrid good (so far, have not launched at Esquimalt or challenging ramp yet)
*In hind site would have bought the 2300 size trailer. This one is 16" wider and noticeably heavier. Wheels are outside the hull and it is a large trailer to maneuver for this size of boat.
*The finish quality of Road Runner is not as nice as other Brands. But they are the cheapest.
*Although Road Runner did fix the issue they were pretty nonchalant about the problem, did not take note originally of what boat I had and sent me parts that did not fit the trailer I just had them build. And really pushed me towards the larger trailer. Again hind site but would probably buy 1 size down from a different Brand if I was to do again.

At end of the day I am better off than I was with my 1980 roller trailer I have now replaced.

Tips

Last edited:
bunks with plastic on them. get the plastic from highliner trailers (6-14,mf)

My boat is 6K# dry and a whole lot more than that loaded. I launch and recover all over the place, it is rollers for me whether I like it or not.

I replaced the metal insert for each of my 76 rollers with stainless steel inserts that I had water-jet cut, also replaced the hardware with stainless steel (nuts bolts and brackets). I don't expect to have to do maintenance on my rollers for a long time.

NK5ISZK.jpg

H4Z5b1b.jpg

Back