Bull Kelp Reforestation

Fish Camp

[video]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5Nt khWZhKOU&ei=z76DVNieAZbnoATjyoHQCA&usg=AFQjCNGLVIfnIG1yPWU1QacJLPyZGb56cgPlease contribute to this thread,don't know if bull kelp reforestation has been discussed on a SFBCF .i will learn more so i have more to share on the topic.

Read "help the kelp" had something going in Kamloops. Gabriola island success is showing good for there work .Thank you, for the links CL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great projects thanks for sharing. I have no documentation but my general observation from victoria to renfrew is there has been a constant decrease in kelp over the last decade. A troubling trend indeed.

.... I have no documentation but my general observation from victoria to renfrew is there has been a constant decrease in kelp over the last decade. A troubling trend indeed.
I've read speculation that runoff from lumber yards containing treated wood may have contributed to continued destruction of Kelp beds in the Straight.

I thought sea urchins ate kelp, otters ate sea urchins.....Less otters less kelp? I am sure human impact could be an issue too but I do not want to derail this thread. Liked the video! Thanks for sharing

I know in our area way more otters last few years and never seen the kelp beds so thick ever since. Tons and tons of kelp now.

Otters favor crab over urchins.from what I have understood bull kelp have male plant/ algae, and a another plant /algae female with spores and somehow those spores meet at the surface on the leaves of the female ,then they must find safe bottom.oldest kelp 12-18 months acts as buffer for yearly seeding in the spring. Most kelp gets washed ashore before maturity .

Industry needs to be stewards of bull kelp reforestation.from logging to cruse ships should contribute $ and education to kelp reforestation .

I always thought it was interesting how little kelp there is in Howe Sound. I wonder if it is a combination of the pulp mills and the old mine? There used to be a kelp bed near Roberts Creek, but it has been gone for years. Eel grass has left the area too....

Maybe someone from Little River Enhancement Society can tell us a bit. As I know one of their projects they told us about at the SFBC Salmon Derby was the kelp projects they were working on along with Quailicum Scallops.

I always thought it was interesting how little kelp there is in Howe Sound. I wonder if it is a combination of the pulp mills and the old mine? There used to be a kelp bed near Roberts Creek, but it has been gone for years. Eel grass has left the area too....

Bull kelp was harvested many years ago, Vancouver island used to be surrounded with kelp. DFO allowed the harvesting of bull kelp from what they knew about giant kelp. Giant kelp reproduces by the hold fast, where bull kelp reproduces from the leafs. Little River Enhancement Society is working with Nile Creek Enhancement to restore kelp in our areas. We plant our kelp around February

[h=1]Project Watershed planting kelp for fish habitat enhancement[/h]posted Feb 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM
http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/294079141.html

Project Watershed has added a new restoration initiative as part of its ‘Keep It Living” estuary campaign.
“For the last three years, Project Watershed has focused its estuary restoration efforts on tidal marshes,” said Project Watershed technical director Dan Bowen.
A tidal marsh is a type of marsh that is found along coasts and estuaries, of which the flooding characteristics are determined by the tidal movement of the adjacent estuary. Two vegetation systems are prominent: a shoreline salt marsh with small channels for fish migration and eelgrass which runs into the water (intertidal exposed at low tide and subtidal under the water).
These vegetation systems are part of the salmon highway as pacific salmon migrate from ocean to upland rivers and back again. They provide important habitat for feeding and protection from predators such as the harbour seal. These habitats are also crucial to other estuarine wildlife including forage fish and water birds.
“Another important component of this natural highway are kelp forests,” said Paul Horgen, chair of the Project Watershed board. “On January 28, our society started a new habitat restoration initiative by planting our first bull kelp sites.” Bull kelp beds or forests provide additional critical habitat for fish, including juvenile salmon, but have been in serious decline in local waters in recent years.
“The new initiative, in collaboration with the Nile Creek Enhancement Society (NCES), aims to stimulate bull kelp recovery by growing kelp plants on bottom-anchored lines at two sites, one near the Kingfisher Resort and the other near Royston,” said PW director Bill Heath.
From adult plants produced by summer or fall, there will be new habitat and carbon fixation as well as release of reproductive spores to start new kelp beds in the area.
The kelp sites were planted by Rob Zielinski (Hornby Island Diving and NCES), Julian Laffin (NCES) and Bill Heath (NCES and PW director) using kelp seed (immature plants on spools of twine) that was wrapped on grow-out rope secured to anchors.
============================
Those Nile Creek folks have got their fingers in a lot of kelp projects. Well done....
LRES has got to keep up with them. Looks like we will have to plant some more.
Yup plans are in the works.... Bring them back one bed at at time.

Back