Budget to Trim $57 M from DFO

cuttlefish

Gotta love the title of this article:

Fisheries cuts 'efficiencies,' says minister

CBC News
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 7:39 AM AT
Last Updated: Mar 23, 2011 8:31 AM AT

Cuts announced to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans are the result of identifying efficiencies in operation, says DFO Minister Gail Shea.
Gail Shea says the cuts are nothing to be concerned about.Gail Shea says the cuts are nothing to be concerned about. CBC

The cuts were announced by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty in Tuesday's federal budget. By 2014, almost $57 million will be trimmed from Fisheries and Oceans, but Shea said that's not a concern.

"We were asked to identify efficiencies, which is what every good department should be doing on a regular basis," said Shea.

"We've identified a number of initiatives … details will be forthcoming shortly on those."

The Liberals say the cuts at DFO had already started. Humber-St. Barbe-Baie Verte MP Gerry Byrne in Newfoundland said budget estimate documents already showed a cut of $145 million over last year.

"They're going to start off-loading services, downloading services to fishermen and downloading costs to fishermen," said Byrne.

"They're getting out of a lot of initiatives that they've been involved in and that's only going to make our fishing industry more uneconomic."

Opposition leaders have said they will vote against the budget, which could mean an election in the spring. Sydney Victoria MP Mark Eyking in Cape Breton said he's happy to campaign against this budget.

"When I look at the three departments that Cape Breton relies on: Marine Atlantic is going to be cut by an average of $2 million a year, ACOA is going to be cut over $10 million a year and Fisheries and Oceans, which is crucial, especially our small craft harbours money, that's going to be cut," said Eyking.

In advance of the budget it appeared only the NDP were considering supporting the budget, but Leader Jack Layton said afterwards changes would be necessary for his party to support it. Flaherty has said there will be no negotiations.

Wish they would just off load the whole works to a group that would actually make improvements instead of a slow bleed to death. DFO has got to go.

Wish they would just off load the whole works to a group that would actually make improvements instead of a slow bleed to death. DFO has got to go.
I agree 100%.

Clean the table and start over with regional resource management and put the money spent each year on the ground (not into POLITICO pockets). Put the money into stock enhancement, conservation, sustainable and the most economically beneficial harvest programs, developing better catch accounting programs, cleaning up the mess that the fish farming industry has made, the list goes on and on....

Definately time for a change to the status quo!

Does this lady know the difference between "efficiencies" and "inefficiencies"..... seems not...

really Smiley 66? I have voted liberal my whole life and I refuse to vote for Ignatieff. Not many options!!

beemer

Back