Bucktails

Does anyone know where I can buy buck tails to troll for salmon.

same here ive been looking for large double hook flies that can be stacked vs cast. can't seem to find any online and i dont want to tie them

Gill and gift have the best selection of bucktails that I have seen. They are in the kootenays but will ship

Wow they have a nice selection for sale.
I tied those when I was a kid in the early 70's for me and my old man to use in Barkley sound for coho.

I should teach my kid to tie those, she can make a few bucks selling them. LOL. They're easy to make.

I was fortunate to find a guy who tied them and was selling last summer at the Pender Farmers/Weekly Market. We were over visiting friends and I begrudgingly was dragged to the market but lucky to find this individual guy's work; priced well and looked great!!

I am sure through Jay's Clayoquot Adventures out of Tofino you could find some? He does have a tackle business there and bucktailing certainly isn't completely unknown over there. ;)

I don't know that any of the local Vancouver (again not sure where you are based) fly AND salt shops like Pacific Angler may have some?

If anyone has trouble finding the Bucktail catalogue of the aforementioned shop in the Kootenays.....it took a bit of scrolling/digging for it. Hopefully this link works. http://www.gillandgift.com/FLY catalogue.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If your in North Van. then Dave has them at High WaterTackle on Lonsdale.

If your in north comox too sayward too buttle lk bridge ok gold riv and powell. I will make plans to share a hand crafted by me a black white purple dubed body have some red buck aswell .50$ a fly aaaaaand we catch a fish at the water on purchase of fly.Welcome to the forum TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bunch of polar bear bucktail files, I am going to sell them.

Tomorrow, I will take pictures of the flies and post it

Micheal and Young fly shop in Vancouver and Surrey have a great selection, all the materials and give great advise.

Is this what you mean? Most on this pic (all that's left) come from the Frumento & Clan in the Fifties - all the movie types used them to fish coho in the Bay. Nov/Dec 50 listened to the radio guy talking about Wayne or some other guy fishing the Cowichan Bay. Years ago Earl (Frumento, now deceased) & I tried them at the derby, & I caught an insignificant one that got me a booby prize. alp
Bucktls.jpg

Sea-Run in coquitlam has them, but man................... do they want a lot for them!!!!!!!!!!! Some as high as $10.00 a fly!:eek:

I actually tie my own and it is fun incorporating some of the newer materials into the patterns. I just finished tying a bunch up for a fellow in Knight Inlet. The tough part of course is finding suitable polar bear hair.

Back