Brunswick ramps up boat production to meet rare off-season demand

It was a weird summer for most manufacturers of recreational equipment. Any dealership I talked to through the summer as I was dealing on and doing research on boats on my quest to buy a boat all had the same story, they could not keep up with sales and most could not get product fast enough. Not only do to the fact that production on most things were slowed do to the virus but sales on most things were through the roof. They all had the same thing to say and that is it was mind boggling where the money was coming from and what’s going to happen when the so called free money ends.

It’s going to be scary because the government’s are going to want to get their money back some how and people are going to have these payments on items they bought. May be some deals on the way for some if they are interested as finance companies will want to recover their money as best they can.

You are assuming that was all government granted money though and I am not sure if that is the case. Many people who have been saving for their retirement to buy that boat or that motorhome, as an example, decided to do it now instead because you could be safe within your bubble and be out in a boat or in a recreational vehicle.

Your right Aquaholic I’m sure that is the case in some of the instances.
I had asked a couple of the dealerships as to whom was doing the buying and in most cases it was your typical younger couple or male in the case of most of the ATV sales. Apparently the buying cycle is still carrying on into snowmobile sales in some areas.

Dealerships have a pretty good feel on the money situation of the people that are doing the buying of their product. When people are buying with the min down payment, taking the payments over the longest allowed time and doing it all on poor credit rating it’s a good sign that they really don’t have the money. A couple of the dealers that I was in serious talks with and had conversations about things pretty much were unanimous on the fact that a lot of the sales taking place probably shouldn’t be taking place.

Last edited:
Additionally a lot of folks who would be taking Expensive trips to exotic and not so exotic destinations curtailed the urge. I know a few frequent travellers who have simply said it will be a while, if ever, that they start traveling again. People got to spend their money somewhere I guess.

I have heard that some wealthy types with large vacation budgets just reallocated to these toys. If people were buying on credit it'd be more the creditors wanting it back. There really hasn't been much for grants directly to individuals, don't think the CERB will do it. That being said I would not be shocked if some business owners that were not negatively impacted by COVID using the Ceba loan which basically is a free $10k to make a purchase.

Additionally a lot of folks who would be taking Expensive trips to exotic and not so exotic destinations curtailed the urge. I know a few frequent travellers who have simply said it will be a while, if ever, that they start traveling again. People got to spend their money somewhere I guess.
Definitely what you said Ziggy-- My wife and I used to take one cruise a year or fly to somewhere exotic for a change. I see a guided hali trip in my future. One of my steady partners has moved to Saskabush, and the other is too busy with fish politics and I am getting a bit worn out to travel too far away from fishing destinations by myself. But who knows..... They will have to pry my rod ( yes-- that too !!! ) out of my cold dead hand(s) before I stop harassing our finny, tasty targets !!

Anecdotal, but not an isolated incident: a friend of mine (newly retired) bought a Hewescraft 18 and fished it all spring. Then he realised he couldn't haul travel trailer and boat, so he traded the trailer on a new motor home...

Reminds me of the joke. First day salesman in a huge box store. Left on his own to learn the ropes. At the end of his shift the manager asks him how he made out. He says I made out great with one good sale. The manager smiles and says I have sales staff that make 30-50 sales a day. The new guys says well I sold this guy some fishing hooks and set him up with a rod and reel loaded up with line. Then upsold him to buying a 18 ft boat, motor, trailer package when I mentioned that you wouldn’t catch as many fish casting from shore and you need to get out further to get the big ones. Then he mentioned what he drove and I said well **** that is to small to tow your new boat so I moved him into a new $60.000 3/4 ton pickup. The manager impressed says you mean a guy comes in here for anpackage of hooks and you sold him all that?!?!? No the new guys says...he came in asking where the Kotex were and I said well you won’t be doing anything this weekend so you might as well go fishing.

I just read your joke to my wife ,we are both mid sixties and both have fished all all lives, we are still laughing. Thank's we needed a good laugh

Back